Dirty/bad MAF sensor?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Dirty/bad MAF sensor?

Post by Legacy777 »

You can try using the 1.8 fuel pump to test during idling. However do not get on boost as the 1.8 fuel pump will likely not be able to provide enough flow.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

I actually swapped it out the same day you posted, earlier in the day. The strainer or "sock" was no longer attached to the pump; it had broken at the neck and was in the tank, but I was able to find it and get it out. I put the 1.8 pump in with a different strainer. Drove it around little bit, making sure to keep my foot out of it, and had no issues with stalling, and no CEL. I guess it's time to look for a new Walbro. Are they available in kits with strainers/other parts now? The little bit of searching I did seemed to indicate that, but I haven't looked that hard yet. I'm not too happy about the strainer breaking (it was new when I put in the Walbro), and don't really want to have to deal with that again if there's a way to avoid it. The original 1.8 pump fits nicely in the assembly or "mount", while I had to use zip ties and hose clamps to hold the Walbro in place, although everything was just as it was when I originally installed the Walbro, with the exception of the rubber spacer that goes at the base of the fuel pump holder, for lack of a better term.
'95 Impreza L AWD w/EJ22T engine and ECU swap
pics: http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14006
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can get it with a kit to be a direct install.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 84#p342684
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

Awesome; thanks!
I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

I hate to bring this topic back up, but the problem has returned even with a new Walbro fuel pump. Did a clutch change recently, and noticed that my fuel pressure gauge has not worked since; I haven't looked into that yet. Car hiccuped a little bit while just driving down the road, then stalled with no warning. Upon trying to restart right away, while pumping the gas pedal since nothing was happening, there was a massive backfire that sounded like a gunshot. Limped it into a parking lot and let it sit for a few minutes. It finally restarted after numerous tries, spaced out as to not to blow the exhaust apart. I ended up limping it home, but not without it stalling a few more times. Some guy stopped beside my car while I was pulled off to the side and said "Damn dude! Your car shot a fireball about 4 feet out of the exhaust! Be careful!" before pulling off. Wow. I am really at a loss; no constant CEL and not sure what to do.

I have not even touched the car since I limped it home (luckily) but have noticed some black spots on the exhaust tip. I have not checked for any CEL codes but I am guessing there are none stored and that it is a fueling issue. I replaced the MAF gijonas sold me with one from a junkyard since I last posted, and it hasn't made a bit of difference. Should I be looking for some injectors or a fuel pressure regulator, or both? Just to reiterate, the first time I ever started the car after the EJ22T swap, the CEL was on with codes for all four injectors.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would recommend checking for codes, even if you don't think there are any. You can check the resistance of the injectors to see if you have any one or more that stand out from the rest. There may be a wiring issue, which is causing over fueling.

Unfortunately, without doing some further diagnostics it's going to be a guessing game. I'd suggest breaking out the multimeter and start checking some of the sensors and wiring if all the equipment in general appears to be ok.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

I will check for codes and check the resistance of each injector hopefully tomorrow; the weather is supposed to be a lot nicer than it was today.

I know what you mean about guessing. For me, it's such an odd thing that I've never really heard about or experienced before. I almost feel like I'd be better off if the car were OBD II, as it would likely throw a code and give me some guidance. Although, I did have an Impreza 2.5RS with a bad TPS that never gave me a CEL, so who knows?
I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

On second thought, if the car loses signal from the cam and/or crank sensor, it will probably shut the engine off, correct? Couple that with a potentially leaky injector(s), and that might cause the afterfires on trying to restart?

The car had a bad cam sensor on the original engine when I first bought it. It would start fine cold, but after going to a store or something where the car only sat for a few minutes, it would just crank and crank, not wanting to start. That didn't trigger the CEL, either, but eventually I found the code stored for it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, that's possible. You're best bet is to take a multimeter and check all the various sensors.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

Yeah, I plan to do that after checking prices for new cam and crank sensors yesterday. $100 for the cam sensor and $225 for the crank sensor! I will probably get just one injector for now and see what happens.
I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

I got a set of injectors and went to put them in today. I did cylinder #3 last (I think that's what it is, passenger rear), and the injector is different from the rest, as is the fuel rail! Has anyone ever seen this?! I was going to take some pics with my regular camera, but all of my batteries were dead. I used my cell phone, instead. Pics:

All four injectors that I took out, corresponding to their positions in the engine:

#1 vs #3 injectors:

Fuel rail pic:

#3 cylinder fuel rail:

#1 cylinder fuel rail (same as #2 & #4):

I was told the engine was from a '93 when I bought it. Vikash helped me determine it was from a '91 since it has the factory oil cooler.

Should I just get a new fuel rail?
I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

Bump. Anyone?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's been a long time since I've looked at a turbo injector up close, but -- I don't think that injector is different. I think there's a little steel sleeve that goes over the nose of the injector and seals with an o-ring. Your #1, #2, and #4 injectors came out of the rail with the sleeve still attached; the #3 injector came out but the sleeve stayed in the rail.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I would agree that it looks like the sleeve got stuck in the rail
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

Wow, good eyes, guys! That does make sense; I'll have to take another look at it tonight or this weekend. Where were you before I ordered a set of fuel rails?! :)

This is the first time I've ever done anything with injectors, so I guess I'm a n00b in that department.
I_H8_1.8
In Neutral

Post by I_H8_1.8 »

I was not aware that there was a sleeve on each injector previously. I looked at it again tonight, and the o-ring was so stuck that it held onto the sleeve like nobody's business! I was eventually able to break the o-ring and remove it, and once I did, the sleeve was sitting quite loose! The last injector is now installed, and now i just need to find a good manifold crossover pipe (exhaust), as the flex joint in my original one sort of blew apart due the backfiring.