Straight Stock Intake Box?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Bad news. Neither of my MAFs fit this airbox. The bolt pattern on it is too tall. It's the same width but the bolt holes are too far apart vertically.

Anybody know if any other MAF will fit this airbox?

1st Gen Impreza JECs MAF

91 Legacy SS MAF

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

can you weld? or do you know someone.

get a piece s/s plate, draw out the bolt pattern, drill the holes. then cut a 3" hole or whatever size in the center and weld a piece of pipe in.

if you can make it then an exhaust shop or whatever could weld up the pipe for you.

93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've only welded once before. A few years ago. And it was haggard.

I'm not sure what you mean about the pipe. I was thinking of using a plate of 1/4" aluminum I have left over and just cutting out an adapter plate.

But if I could find an MAF from a 93-98 twin turbo legacy, that would bolt right up.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

that gives me an idea. make a flange adapter as you said with 8 holes, 4 to screw into the box and 4 for your maf to screw into. use like a 5/8 or 3/4 piece of aluminum so you can thread holes and screw your other maf in.

what i meant with the pipe is weld the pipe on and put the maf on with a hose connector, but that may not work now that i think about your setup. the adapter plate would work for sure though
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't really want to buy another piece of aluminum. It's not very cheap. Especially one that thick. I'll probably either try to find the right MAF or just use this 1/4" aluminum and put the bolts through and use nuts to hold them in place from the other side.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

1/4 will work fine.

Do you have a countersink? If you do you can use flathead bolts and nuts to hold the MAF to your plate and then use the OEM bolts to hold the plate to the airbox.

1/4" is also thick enough to tap for the M6 bolts instead of using a countersink and flatheads.

If you were closer, it would be a 20 minute project I could whip out for you.......
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

how much for the plate.

i have access to everything you need up here at my shop.

let me know if you want something, i wont charge much.

stainless, titanium or aluminum. for the smaller stuff i usally have some crop's from big oil jobs that i can take for free.

btw, still got those headers
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I have no idea how much for the plate. What's it worth? I called up a shop to see how much they're charge to cut out the plate for my throttle body spacer and they wanted like $120 or more I can't remember exactly. All I wanted them to do was cut out the shape and the hole in the center and I would drill it myself for the bolts.

Ended up doing it all myself and it was slightly haggard but it worked. It looked good when I was done, the hole was just a bit too big.

You say you still have my headers? So you're the guy who came down at like 3 in the morning that one time and bought the crank, rods, pistons and header from me? Haha. Cool. Are you running that stuff now?
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

no no, thats not me, i was just asking if you still had them for sale
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, nope sold the header months ago. I think it was a guy from auburn or spanaway. Came over to my house at a crazy hour and didn't call and tell me whether he was coming or not so I wasn't expecting him and then he called up and said,"hey I'm in tenino where do you live." 2 or 3 in the morning.