Straight Stock Intake Box?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Straight Stock Intake Box?

Post by kimokalihi »

Anybody know what years/models had an intake box that the tube sticks straight out towards the engine and not like ours with the 90* angle or the 45* angle?

I may be shit out of luck here but I'd like to use a stock airbox to keep it quieter and keep the stock filter and snorkus setup but I need it to come straight out because I have the under-the-intake air inlet tube that comes out the front and then turns at a 90* angle right towards the air box.

The one that came with my forester swap points straight out but it also points at a 30* angle upwards and hits the hood so that's no good.

I may have to custom fabricate this.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I'd try a WRX or STi air box. They have the same under-the-manifold intake setup.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Do you know if the intake box is angled up though? I know that the WRX and new subarus in general seem to have much more room above the engine than our legacy's do. My hood won't even close all the way after putting in this engine with an 8mm phenolic spacer! That's less than a cm and it won't close. I don't know if it would even close without that spacer.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Hmmm, I have no idea Kimo. If I were you, I'd just get a nice short ram intake for a WRX or STi and call it a day.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I just checked out NASIOC and did a quick search in the classifieds and found a picture that looks like it would work from an STI.

So I made a wanted ad on there and we'll see what comes up. I'll also do more searching in the part outs when I have more time. Those guys think their cars are made of gold or something. They want so much money for their parts it's ridiculous. Just saw a guy selling an airbag for $265. I'd rather roll without one.

That intake box I found the guy wanted $65 for it. Then I found another one off a WRX with no picture so it may not fit but he only wanted $30.

Another guy also wanted $265 for his driveshaft. I dunno maybe STI and WRX parts are worth more but I wouldn't pay that much for it.

I don't want to do the short ram thing because I've always been totally against that. It pulls in warmer engine bay air and I hate those "K&N" style filters and refuse to use one of those on my car.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

The USDM WRX and STI airboxes will have a built-in airflow meter. You may be able to mod one for your bolt-on AFM.

Are the Forester and the Impreza EJ20K airboxes different? If they are, I would scrounge the GC classifieds on Nasioc and the Turbo classifieds on RS25 for a EJ20K airbox. A Legacy Twin Turbo airbox would also be a good one to investigate, those were "under the manifold" also.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thanks Jess. A guy offered to sell me his 03WRX box for $50 shipped but I'm not biting on that one yet. I'll send him my email for pics and check them out to see what it looks like.

When I have more time I'll look for the EJ20K ones.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Looks like this is the one that I need. Twin turbo legacy air box off a 2000 JDM legacy.

I doubt that will be easy to locate for a decent price. The WRX one is similar but it has the MAF built into it and that won't work. Although from the picture I saw I think I could plug up the MAF hole and bolt my MAF onto it or cut it down. Something.

This one looks like it's built in too though. Damnit.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The STI has the MAF tube built into the box and it's not removable like the older ones were. But the connector looks the same as ours and looks like it has the same number of wires. Is it compatible?

PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

I'm looking for pics, but I believe that the EARLY twin turbo (BD style, '93-'98 ) will have a usable airbox. Being that early, it should still have a bolt-on AFM.

Your pic looks like a BE Legacy.

I bet you can find them, tons were brought over and many just used as longblocks. That means tons of cast off parts sitting in corners.

Post a WTB in a few forums. PM folks that say they used a Twin Turbo longblock.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

This pic is small, but it looks like a bolt on AFM box.

http://us1.webpublications.com.au/stati ... 5_21lo.jpg

Another one, this time it's a bit clear to me it has a bolt-on AFM. the way the connector bolts to the housing is the giveaway.

http://i33.tinypic.com/r9qxhz.jpg
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Those pictures look like dynamite! That's what I need. 93-98 twin turbo you say? I posted a WTB already on NASIOC and SLI with no luck so far. Except the guy trying to sell me his 02 WRX airbox and snorkus for $50 shipped. There's a guy supposed to be taking a picture of his 07 sti box for me too.

I want this so bad lol. I really don't want to run an aftermarket cone filter.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I found one! jdmleggy97 has 2 of them. No MAF though. Fortunately I have an MAF that I believe will work and I think it's off a GC impreza I found in the junkyard.

Just trying to work out a deal with jdmleggy97.

Here's the intake box from the junkyard impreza.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That JDM twin turbo airbox will use the same filter as our legacy's right?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Cool beans!

No idea about the filter, but I would think that at least one of the USDM Subarus would have a compatable filter.

The AA160 AFM is the standard AFM for most all '90s Subarus (EJ20G, JECS USDM EJ22s, early USDM Imprezas, etc.). Revtronix has a tune for that AFM w/440 greytops.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

My EJ20G has 440s, correct? Revtronix, here I come! (sometime, next year lol) I think I'd rather have tires and wheels first.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

kimokalihi wrote:My EJ20G has 440s, correct? Revtronix, here I come! (sometime, next year lol) I think I'd rather have tires and wheels first.
Yes- tires, wheels and upgraded brake pads! :wink:

If the injector are grey-tops they are 440cc. If they are yellow they are likely the EJ20K 480cc.

The Hitachi aluminum MAF is known to work acceptably well with the OEM EJ22T ECU and 440s.

Somebody posted a while ago that the JECS MAF used with the OEM ECU and 440s runs too lean.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What cars came with the Hitachi Aluminum MAF?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

They're grey tops.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Which brake pads are good? Do you run the stock brakes?
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

I've been planning on getting some EBC yellow or redstuff once I get more money. They are about 70 for the front but I've heard nothing but very positive reviews, but I will probably just throw those on the stock brakes until abit farther into the future
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Interesting. Link?

Do they produce a lot of brake dust or noise?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Got my intake box yesterday. I believe it's off a 93-98 twin turbo JDM legacy. Looks like it should work perfectly.

93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

kimokalihi wrote:Interesting. Link?

Do they produce a lot of brake dust or noise?
PM Lee (skid542). He runs the EBC yellow pads and loves them.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... hlight=ebc
'94 TW