Code 24: Air control valve?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Smoothinto2nd
First Gear

Code 24: Air control valve?

Post by Smoothinto2nd »

After searching and finding tons of mildly related subjects or including other issued I figured I'd start a new topic with a very search-able title.

After following this http://legacycentral.org/library/literature/codes.htm and resetting the ecu my car is no longer throwing like 12 different codes. Just 24.

Air control valve / Air control valve inoperative (Abnormal signal produced in monitor circuit)

this apparently: Prevents abnormal engine speed using "fuel cut" in relation to engine speed, vehicle speed, and throttle sensor position

So knowing that and assuming it is the only problem with the car what can be done? Can it be cleaned? If so, how? Does it need to be replaced? If so how much might it cost and how?

Also on what I think is on topic what's the differences between the abbreviations IAC, IACV, ACV if any?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What sort of symptoms/problems are you experiencing? You never mentioned that, or if you're just getting a code.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Smoothinto2nd
First Gear

Post by Smoothinto2nd »

The car is a stock 93 SS 5 speed.

The main issues I'm having right now are a variable idle. I'll start the car up (almost always an easy start cold) and it will have a high idle 1700 to 2500 I also never seem to be get full power (sometimes the car is much quicker than it is other times).

After driving for a few minutes the idle sometimes starts to drop down. Occasionally it will drop to about 500 smoothly after letting of the gas other times it will get to about 1300 then catch itself, drop a little more to like 1200 then catch it self do that a few time then the check engine light comes on. It stays on until I drive off and the RPMs go above about 3000 at which point the light switches off.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can try cleaning the IAC valve as a start. If you remove the top electro magnet piece, make sure you mark it's position in relation to the valve before you remove it.

I'd also check the wiring going from the valve to the ECU and make sure continuity is good.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm