Throttle Body Spacer?

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

coffeeman885
First Gear

Throttle Body Spacer?

Post by coffeeman885 »

Could I just take a piece of phenolic sheet, trace a tb gasket onto it, cut it out and bolt it up to my car? Would it help with heat transfer. Would there be slack in my throttle cable (I haven't ever really paid attention to the tb that much)? I can buy sheets of the stuff for cheap so if it will help I will do it.

What I'm talking about.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/Sheet- ... _sku=3HMY8

Has anybody ever made a intake pipe (MAF to tb) out of ABS? I know that PVC is a no-no with the melting and fumes and such but ABS seems like it might work. I am pretty sure I could make the necessary bends with some sand and a heat gun so that there wouldn't be a need for bend or coupler pieces. I might even wrap it in some form of insulation.

**There is a stage 2 STI in my class (we should really rework the classing) that I can't catch and I am trying to squeeze every hp/ft-lb out that I can - within the rules. I figure a drop in temp and less turbulent air has got to be worth a couple.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Throttle Body Spacer?

Post by ciper »

I don't know that phenolic spacers would help but if they do I'd focus on intake manifold spacers rather than the tiny throttle body.

Have you bypassed the coolant lines that run through the throttle body to heat it yet?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Adding a spacer to the TB most likely won't do anything. As ciper mentioned, adding phenolic spacers between the heads & intake manifold may yield you more benefit.

Doing the coolant bypass mod may also help, but I don't suspect it's going to really gain you much, if anything.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

I am going to do the coolant bypass this weekend. There is enough heat in the engine bay at races I definitely don't need hot coolant running through my TB. I might look into the mani spacers if I decide to do a PnP in the future. I'm not going to pull that thing off just for the spacers though.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"
ghia nut
First Gear

Post by ghia nut »

I have once CNC'ed if youd like, phenolic material
Dave_J
First Gear

Post by Dave_J »

GrimmSpeed has the manifold spacers. Scrool down and read how it can help. http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/produ ... ucts_id=55
Retired US ARMY SIGNAL CORP
65 B-Cuda Formula S, 78 Dodge Little Red Express Truck, 08 Suzuki Burgman 650 Super Scooter, 94 Legacy Touring wagon.