EJ22T possible intake manifold rotation.

Snorkus, filters, throttle bodies and intake manifolds.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

goderd
In Neutral

EJ22T possible intake manifold rotation.

Post by goderd »

Hey guys, lately I have been thinking of doing a front mount intercooler with rotated intake manifold for my 92 Legacy SS. I have seen a few Subies with some nicely done intake manifold rotations but all dohc.

I can't seem to find any resources on sohc Subies doing this, so I'm asking for help/pointers before I decide to get started.

I plan on deleting power steering anyway, and I have no A/C compressor. So I am fine with moving my alternator to a better spot.

My car will be a track car/summer car, but I do not want to spend a ton of money making power. I have a TD04 installed with no intercooler. I have 3" TBE. I have 04 sti exhaust manifold, and perrin up pipe. I know I can go top mount, but was thinking of just doing front mount since I will be in there messing about either way. I like to fabricate parts, so I don't mind making some custom stuff. I also see it as a good opportunity to freshen up some cracking coolant lines and new sensors. I have 360k kms on the car now :)

My goal is to have nice low intake temps, stock internals, a modest 225+ crank hp, stock ecu hopefully, stock injectors hopefully... I would like it to be reliable DD hp.

This is what I think needs doing; whats involved, and what am I forgetting?

Injector wiring?
Fuel lines? (my hard lines under the manifold are rusted to crap)
Throttle cable lengthen?
Throttle body 'neck' adapter to clear hood?
Cutting bumper beam support.
Move alternator. Any aftermarket brackets that already exist before I go and make one?

Thanks for any help and input! PS I'm partially doing this for looks under the hood, as I realize TMIC is probably most efficient and cheap at my goal power levels...but I just have to be different!
92 Sport 5MT
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Re: EJ22T possible intake manifold rotation.

Post by BoostedSubie »

I tried doing this with my new build and I tried everything to make it work, I moved the alternator to the ac spot, used a newer aluminum alternator/ac bracket and trimmed down parts of it to make more clearence, tried with and without my phenolic spacers on, and I still could not get it to fit. The problem was the IACV was hitting the bracket, also there are hood clearence issues, not that I cared, I was either gonna raise the hood or cut a hole in it. You can try it but I had no luck, the injector wiring won't need to be changed, but if I remember right, you will have to customize the fuel lines under the manifold. Its been awhile since I tried so I'm sure I'm forgetting other issues.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Also, the throttle cable reached just fine without changing it. If you want to keep the bumper renforcement, you'll either need a wide, short intercooler to sit under it which will end up being small or trim the inside of it. I trimmed mine on my first turbo legacy and it fit nicely but I didn't even run one on my current one as the intercooler is huge and trimming the renforcement wasn't really and option.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I didn't see that you were deleting the ps pump the first time I read, if you put the alternator where the ps pump goes, you shouldn't have the clearence issues I experienced. I had though about swapping the ps pump to the ac location and the alternator to the ps pump location but decided not to as I didn't want to have to deal with making custom lines. I also thought of deleting the ps at one point but these Legacys aren't the lightest cars so I just gave up on the whole idea of the rotated manifold. On my new Impreza build though, I'm using the EJ20H heads and manifold so I'm gonna try it on it.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

BoostedSubie wrote:I didn't see that you were deleting the ps pump the first time I read, if you put the alternator where the ps pump goes, you shouldn't have the clearence issues I experienced. I had though about swapping the ps pump to the ac location and the alternator to the ps pump location but decided not to as I didn't want to have to deal with making custom lines. I also thought of deleting the ps at one point but these Legacys aren't the lightest cars so I just gave up on the whole idea of the rotated manifold. On my new Impreza build though, I'm using the EJ20H heads and manifold so I'm gonna try it on it.
Cool, thanks for the input. My brother's GM8 is running without power steering, and as soon as the car is rolling a little, it's nicely drivable by my standards, but I dont mind working the steering wheel. If it were driven in the city lots, it would probably get annoying.

So hood issues you say. I don't want to cut my hood at all. If there is a bracket that angled the trottle body downward, do you think that would remedy this? Or is the manifold itself the issue?

So all the wiring should be okay left as is? I guess that makes sense, that's what I was hoping for at least...

Thanks again!
92 Sport 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Honestly.....for the power you're looking at making, I'd probably suggest running a TMIC or go with an AWIC setup. It's the best of both worlds between a TMIC & FMIC.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Hey Josh, I listened to your advise. I just received a used ARC slanty top mount from the UK (ebay). Will post some pics when I am done. Pretty excited.
92 Sport 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Sounds good. Let us know how it turns out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Those ARC slanty's are nice and rare pieces. Good find.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
goderd
In Neutral

Post by goderd »

Yes I was looking on ebay UK for a v1-2 sti slanty because of what I've read on this forum for ease of fitment, and the ARC popped up on the list, so I did some reading and found that they sold for $1500 usd new. The guy didn't have it set for international shipping so I pleaded with him lol and he changed it so I could bid. Shipping was close to the selling price, but I still think I did okay.

I've read that heavier cores are better, so I'm a little surprised at how light the thing is. I'll weigh it but it feels like less than 4lbs!
92 Sport 5MT
danialraimes
First Gear

Post by danialraimes »

Sorry for digging this thread back up but has anyone got any more info/ideas about an EJ22T intak/turbo rotate? I've seen photos of it, so I'm sure it can be done, it just seems a bit different to the rest, especially the newer builds.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What specific info are you looking for? It can be done, but will require relocating other components and modifying how the fuel lines route, throttle cable, alternator, etc. I don't know of a step by step list/instructions on everything that was done for a rotated setup, but maybe someone has some info they can share.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

danialraimes
First Gear

Post by danialraimes »

Well a build thread of some kind would be awesome, especially some tips into making an alternator bracket which is adjustable for belt tension. Just any ideas really, I'm keen to delete my ABS but without that I need to install my cone filter, which I'm gonna need to install my FMIC with, which I want to have short pipe.
danialraimes
First Gear

Post by danialraimes »

I just really wanna get a big chunk of the work done but I'm not 100% sure about my alternator positioning and such. I need to do a bit more reading first :p