Hrm.. anyone swapped trunk lids with a Liberty?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magnux
First Gear

Hrm.. anyone swapped trunk lids with a Liberty?

Post by magnux »

Perusing through the Liberty RS forums, I kept noticing (and falling in love) with their trunk lids. I simply adore how their license plates are on the trunk, rather than the bumper. In doing so, the tail lights no longer look "wrap around". I think it gives a whole new look to the rear of the car.

Has anyone tried to do a conversion? Or better yet, does anyone know if it's maybe just a plastic insert needed (and new rear bumper, of course) rather than the entire trunk lid?

Example:
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

If it is an insert dont you lose half your braking lights? If the rs tails have two lights in the side parts you might want to get those.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I think it looks much better than the USDM sedan tails. Isn't the center section on the USDM Legacy's just a reflector?

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

90-91 center bars, yes , are reflectors, 92-94's actually have brake lights in them. And yes, a Liberty center bar will bolt in. But then your gonna have two plate areas, which ell look weird, unless you order up a Euro Legacy/liberty rear bumper.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You could just modify the existing bumper by welding in a new piece of plastic if you're good with a plastic welder and blending. It might even be cheaper to pay someone who is than locating and getting a bumper from overseas, then painting and fitting (in case there are different brackets).

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

they center piece will bolt right up. i had it on my car in the summer but i put my jdm TI type S rear garnish back on.

MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
magnux
First Gear

Post by magnux »

HomeSlice, wanna sell the insert? :D

If not, where'd you find it at.. I'd really love to get my hands on one. :)
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

Bump, I want one too if anyone has one (which no one does or they do and just dont want to sell)
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

magnux wrote:HomeSlice, wanna sell the insert? :D

If not, where'd you find it at.. I'd really love to get my hands on one. :)
sorry its back on my car cause i got the edm rear bumper to match. the jdm ti type s garnish i sold to someone on here. i got it on ebay.
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
671SUBIE
In Neutral

Re: Hrm.. anyone swapped trunk lids with a Liberty?

Post by 671SUBIE »

Does anyone know where to order or even find a euro lid
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

magnux wrote:Perusing through the Liberty RS forums, I kept noticing (and falling in love) with their trunk lids. I simply adore how their license plates are on the trunk, rather than the bumper. In doing so, the tail lights no longer look "wrap around". I think it gives a whole new look to the rear of the car.

Has anyone tried to do a conversion? Or better yet, does anyone know if it's maybe just a plastic insert needed (and new rear bumper, of course) rather than the entire trunk lid?

Example:
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Getting the lid is worthless unless you have the matching bumper cover. This is due to the license plate lights are on the bumper cover. Otherwise moving your plate to the center of the trunk lid leaves no lights to illuminate it. The bumper covers are too big and awkward to ship.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

So does anyone know where you can get the center bar and AUS bumper? I would too like to convert my car's rear end.
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Danteandsoob wrote:So does anyone know where you can get the center bar and euro bumper? I would too like to convert my car's rear end.
Yep, hop on the overseas forums and try to find someone willing to ship. A couple sites include: rs liberty club, and dirty old BC. Just register and post a want to buy ad there. Good luck!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.