Sun/Moonroof Problems

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

powerfulalien
In Neutral

Post by powerfulalien »

Thanks thawa i will send them after i have it put back together
90 Legacy LS Wagon
no mod's (yet)
snorkusectomy
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

More pics is always a good thing. Good work Thawa!

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

im not doing anything :) thank powerful.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
powerfulalien
In Neutral

Post by powerfulalien »

well i have the pics... unfortunately i work tonight . thawa where do you want me to send the pics to ? It will be sometime tomorrow afternoon at the earliest ( I work graveyard ) I think I took about 40 pics !!!
thanks
90 Legacy LS Wagon
no mod's (yet)
snorkusectomy
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

my email addy, awesome amount of pictures

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
powerfulalien
In Neutral

Post by powerfulalien »

thawa your email address comes up bad service module :?

[/b]
90 Legacy LS Wagon
no mod's (yet)
snorkusectomy
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

well your e-mail address smells like poopy!

naa jk, You can try mailing them to webmaster@thawa.net

powerfulalien
In Neutral

Post by powerfulalien »

that one doesnt work either damn comp
90 Legacy LS Wagon
no mod's (yet)
snorkusectomy
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

try creating an account and uploading them here: http://thawa.net/images/

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

incase you were trying to upload and couldnt i had the settings wrong, so you can now upload so long as youre logged in.

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

any updates on this?

Sub4evr
In Neutral

Post by Sub4evr »

well I to have a leaky sunroof, what i've discovered is the seal around the glass is torn. what i've been told is you have to buy the glass as one piece you can't just buy the rubber and redo it. does anyone know if this is true if so I guess I have to buy a used sunroof from the wreckers?
92 Legacy Turbo Wagon
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

You cannot replace the rubber part of the glass AFAIK. The other problem is that most of the ones you'll find at the JY's are torn as well :( My glass was cracked so I picked one up at the JY and the rubber was a little torn on that one as well.

The rubber isn't meant to completely seal the moonrood either. You've probably got some of the same problems that the rest of us have.

The main problem is that the sealing caulk that was originally installed to seal the sun/moonroof tray to the actual roof panel is old, dry and cracked This then acts like a sponge and dumps it either in your lap or your passengers :( The other is that your drainage tubes that drain the tray are clogged up.

The "real" way to fix it is to remove the headliner completely and lower the sun/moonroof tray, reseal it, and reinstall the entire thing. Someone did just this on the board and it fixed all of their leakage problems.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
Sub4evr
In Neutral

Post by Sub4evr »

I hear ya, it's just that I've gone through the whole thing and my sunroof was still leaking. I got the rails resealed and the 4 drainage tubes are working just fine. the problem I'm having is, after a very heavy downfall I drive down the street use the brakes at the first stop sign and i have a water fall on the passenger side. a light rain won't do it, it seems there is a lot of water stored up in the tray and when I brake it all rushes forward and the drain tubes can't handle it and it spills into the car. so i'm still trying to find a solution
92 Legacy Turbo Wagon
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

mine doesnt leak. :)
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

you may have missed a spot when resealing the sunroof, when doing mine i noticed a few locations which don't have much height and thus won't prevent a large amount of water from getting past... i used silicone to make a "wall" to make theses spots higher
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

What ^he said. I'm going to have to redo mine because I didn't make the silicone high enough in certain spots :( When I eventually get around to it though, I'm pulling then entire headliner.

The other problem that I noticed is that the original sealant goes much further towards the back than I could get without removing the headliner. So I just caulked up as much as I could. It obviously didn't work because my wife keeps getting water dumped on her lap :(

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

My cheap ass pop-out the insurance company half paid for when my windshield was done never leaks. 8)

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

time for me to jump in. last year it didnt leak but now it does. i dont think its the seal but i do think its the drains. when my inner fenderliners tore out the drains were exposed to open air.

could this possibly be the problem? im gonna try to get some air to shoot in it but i doubt keyboard cleaner is gonna work. i may need to go get an attachment for my compressor
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

fixed my sun roof!

I pulled the trim, headliner and removed the whole assembly. took it inside and scraped the old stuff out- it was cracked out big time. vaccumed the loose bits away and laid down new sealant. Only took 1 hour with a friend ( let it set for and hour before i put it back in) having a friend is definatly recommended!
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

Today was the day I tackled the leaky sunroof the right way. Pulled all the trim pieces and the headliner. What a royal PITA!!! Cracked a few trim pieces and broke a few clips. I'm really excited to finally have the sunroof not leak though. My wife will be happy when she doesn't get rained on in the passenger seat :) The drain tubes themselves are pretty sizeable, so I think it'd be tough to clog those like some people have suggested.

Tomorrow I'll be pulling the sunroof out to reseal it and get it winter ready. It's definitely a two man job though. Very hard to get the headliner out of the car by yourself. I'm also considering having the headliner recovered while it's out. Has anyone ever had this done? If so, what was the cost?

I'll take a bunch of pics tomorrow of all of the trim pieces so we have a reference for removing it all. Hopefully having some pictures of the trim pieces will prevent people from breaking/cracking them.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
1993 Legacy
In Neutral

sunroof/moonroof problem - pictures?

Post by 1993 Legacy »

Hi Brian and all,

Has anyone posted any photos of the sunroof/moonroof repair procedure somewhere. As it happens, winter came and my Legacy station wagon started leaking. Today. Right onto my left shoulder. It never did this before. I would really appreciate pictures of the procedure as on speak a thousand words, no? Please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards

Dusan
snowboarded
Third Gear

Post by snowboarded »

I had the same problem that you have Dusan. Mine no longer leaks tho. It was a quick, cheap, and easy fix for me.
Here's what it takes. Buy one roll of electrical tape.
Tear off long pieces and apply to edges where the moonroof and roof meet. And violla! No more leaks. If you do a good job nobody will notice that the top of your car has electrical tape on it.
Works good as new, if you never open it. :roll:
[quote="Manarius "]Only flamers will get those. [/quote]
[quote="All_talk "]How many WHP will that give me? :)[/quote]

2010 Subaru Impreza 5mt 5 door
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I currently have the entire headliner removed in a friend's garage. I'm going to reseal the sunroof and reinstall it tonight. I'll try to take as many pictures as I can and post them here. The problem is all the plastic is extremely brittle and is hard to remove without cracking it :(.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
1993 Legacy
In Neutral

Leaky sunroof fixed

Post by 1993 Legacy »

Hello to all,
Just an update. I fixed the sunroof/moonroof leak. The info on the site has been helpfull. After taking the whole headliner down and pulling the whole sunroof/moonroof assembly out of the car the problem with the seal was evident. It took less than an hour to disassemble the lot and bring it into the house. I must admit that my gf didn't quite appreciate the mess that ensued. Besides it was all happening on the floor of her living room. I couldn't fix the car in front of my house so her place was the next best choice. :))) anyhow, after letting the sealant cure overnight I put everything back together and it hasn't let a drop of water in since then. I would suggest the procedure to anyone with this problem. It solves it for the next 10 years. At least. I used gasket sealant first and silicone calk (sealant) later along the sides of the rails both on the inside and the outside of the rails.

Just a bit of advice. Be gentle with the interior trim as it can be brittle and brake easily. It is all attached with clips so it is simply pulled out.
Best regards

Dusan