chrome trim

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

They're talking about electrical tape. I'm talking about plastic tape, that's what it says on it, I know they have it at Ace, not sure about other places. I find it sticks better than electrical tape, plus you don't have to admit that you used electrical tape, haha.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I went to my parents house and started blacking out the trim on the front bumper. Got the whole bumper done and it looks great. I took a bunch of pictures but unfortunately the stupid SDHC card took a shit on me and when I was copying the pictures to my pc it got halfway done and then gave me an error and deleted all my pictures. It won't let me format it now and my pictures are all gone.

What a piece of shit. PNY sucks.

I'll get more pictures hopefully when I finish the rest of the trim.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Finished the job! Looks pretty good. The sides of the car were actually much more difficult than the bumpers. Oddly enough. I was expecting the opposite since they're straight. The bumpers have a little gap above the chrome trim that you can press the edge of the tape into and it makes it look real nice with no exposed chrome. The side trim does not have a gap on top or bottom so you are forced to try to line the tape up perfectly (too hard and time consuming) or overlap the edges and use a razor blade to cut it to match the edge of the trim. Unfortunately cutting it perfectly straight and not accidently cutting the tape too thin and leaving exposed chrome was way too hard as well. I ended up cutting the tape so it covered the chrome and then some to make sure no chrome was exposed.

The first time I did it I thought I had it perfectly cut and I peeled the excess tape off and there were little strips of chrome showing here and there on the edge and it looked like crap. I'm hoping it'll stick to the plastic on the top and bottom of the chrome pretty good.

As I was cleaning the chrome on the rear bumper I noticed it was coming off on one side. So I decided to just peel it all off and save myself the time and effort of taping it. Looks fine without it.

"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Door handles next?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yeah I thought about that but I can't see electrical tape sticking to the curves on those handles and/or looking good.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Will post-facelift handles work on these cars? How hard to swap out?
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Good question. I think they're kind of a bitch to swap out. Hard to get your hard in there. I had to do it once and I don't remember it being fun.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I was kidding. They're not that hard to replace. Not convenient, by any means, but with a little patience, not that difficult either.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You got any white handles for me?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

How do you guys feel about my hood scoop? It's not finished. Still have to finish cutting out the hood and reinforcing it somehow. But that's basically how it's going to look but that tiny gap between the hood and scoop will be gone when it's done.

I think it's looks swell.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I like it, should look good when it's painted, I just hope you have something under it to give it a purpose :wink:
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

lol I have an EJ20H motor, 06 TMIC, TD04, Group A lightweight pulleys, Clutchmasters lightweight flywheel, 20mm swaybar front and rear, STI struts and springs and a 3" downpipe, 3" resonator with 3" Borla muffler. But for now I'm just trying to find an EJ22T motor to drop in. Eventually I definately want to build a motor and get a larger turbo and maybe FMIC but that's in the future. Now I just want to drive the damn thing.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wouldn't install a scoop on my car if it wasn't going to be functional and serve a purpose. I've always thought it was stupid when people put scoops on their cars or cars come with scoops from the factory...subaru!...when they don't have an intercooler.
James
In Neutral

Re: chrome trim

Post by James »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I think this was a great solution that I finished in less time than it took to drink a beer...

3M 764 2" vinyl tape - cost like 8 bucks. Apparently it doesn't get all nasty like electrical tape - and it definitely has WAY better adhesive properties.

I just used a plastic tire lever (I own a bicycle shop) to tuck it under the upper and lower edges before cutting the excess.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByUSVt ... sp=sharing
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: chrome trim

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS, and that looks pretty good!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm