94 legacy rear end damage repair questions! Need help

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy360
In Neutral

94 legacy rear end damage repair questions! Need help

Post by Legacy360 »

Hello I am new to this forum so please inform me if I my posting is not in the right area.
So I just picked up a 94 legacy sedan with some rear end damage. Upon trying to change the title that has no brands on it, I find out it has been deemed totall loss? And either the previous owner has to clear it (I don't have his number anymore) or it must be inspected by state patrol. So I go to a local body shop and the guy there tells me because of the damage the crumple zone in the rear were the spare tire goes has been compromised, it pushed it in and the rear bumper support was bent a little.Now my question is can I fix this to be cleared by inspection with a new rear bumper/support and bang out the previously mentioned are? Or am I screwed ?

Please help! This is my only car and need to make it road worthy ASAP! I'll post pics of the damage.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: 94 legacy rear end damage repair questions! Need help

Post by PhyrraM »

It's going to depend on your state laws.

Here in California, all they would inspect is proper operation of all the lights and proper operation of the brakes. Plus a smog check, of course.

I think many east coast states are more critical of structure because of rust issues.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 94 legacy rear end damage repair questions! Need help

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

Yeah I think it'll depend on how thorough of an inspection they do. Which state do you live in?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm