Opinions and advice about RS & WRX seats

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mike-tracy

Opinions and advice about RS & WRX seats

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi fellas, I got a good deal on front 2000 RS seats. They are nice and supportive. A while later, I got a great deal on 2002 WRX seats - same price as I paid for the RS ones.

I have a long torso, even though I'm only 5'11" I drove with the SS drivers seat at the lowest level. I haven't actually installed the WRX seats yet but everyone here says they about the same height as the SS seats about halfway up. The RS seats are not height adjustable but sit a little higher than the SS ones, but are much more supportive than stock 18 year old turbo ones.

RS vs WRX
The WRX bottom cushion is MUCH more supportive, and fits my 34" waist like a glove
The side cushions feel about the same to me.

Something I was thinking about: I still have my SS drivers seat. I was wondering if anyone had replaced the cushions and fabric with those from an RS or other seats? I'd like to have height adjustability & lumbar support (something the WRX seats don't have) with the RS material/cushions. Or is there something easy I can do with the WRX ones to get them to fit better heightwise?

I figure I'll throw them in the 96 Legacy if I don't end up using them in my SS, since the non-adjustable stockers are not only worn out but always felt too low.

18 years later, the untreated metal is quite rusty (SS Seat)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

you need to fab us some brackets that will lower the WRX seats a bit. I ahve a set in my 93 legy and I am only 5 9 and they are alitle tall even for me
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

rallyguy_777 wrote:you need to fab us some brackets that will lower the WRX seats a bit. I ahve a set in my 93 legy and I am only 5 9 and they are alitle tall even for me
Got some pictures from Kleinkid about cutting and welding the seat rails - Thanks! I'm going to try putting the RS cushions and material on the SS frame first, but either way I go I'll take pictures to document the process.
Thanks,
Mike
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mike,

Let us know how it goes.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Yea, I LOVE my WRX seats. They are very comfy and supportive. I am 5'10" and they are about perfect for me, and thats on the lowest setting. I might consider cutting and rewelding the brackets later on but I don't feel its necessary as of now.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
monstaru
First Gear

Post by monstaru »

the little i have driven in my wrx seats, i loved them.my drivers seat is all power, and can adjust everywhere.it is crazy how much adjustment is there.you might check it out.cheers, brian
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mike,

I was just cleaning up the WRX seats I bought and found that one of the brackets holding the springs is busted. If you do end up swapping things over to the Legacy chassis, I'd be interested to know if the top portion of the metal chassis can be separated from the bottom. If so, I might be interested in buying it from you.

I need to take another look at my seat to see if it can be rewelded.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Emailed you, Josh
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here's some pics of the seats. Talked to a buddy. We're probably going to just try and weld it.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... G_1136.JPG
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... G_1137.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Those springs are always rusty. Why wouldn't they paint them first or something? I guess they don't care. By the time they rust the warranty will be long gone anyways.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson