Hood insulation and paintscratch.com

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Hood insulation and paintscratch.com

Post by Apex3 »

The paint on my hood kind of um, melted, from the heat from the coolant tank, so it's all bubbly right above it, I also noticed there's no insulation in that spot. Does anyone know where I can get just a universal piece of stick on insulation(maybe that shiny stuff) in about a 1'x1' sheet?

The other thing I was thinking of is that the cap is metal, some cars have plastic caps, Can I just go to shucks or something and get a plastic cap that will fit? Or maybe something off a WRX or something if they fit. I figure it might fix the problem, but there might be a reason for it being metal or something, I don't know.

Lastly has anyone used paintscratch.com? I've heard and seen good things about them for BMWs but has anyone tried it on a Subaru? How'd it go? And more importantly, how much paint do you think I'd need for a hood and scoop? I'd like to have some left over for door handles, mirrors, and maybe trim, but that's not terribly important.

Oh and just thought of something else while typing this out, anyone paint match their window trim? I'm gonna need to repaint it anyway, so might as well if it looks good right?

EDIT: A semi quick search has convinced me to paint the window trim. I'm thinking I'll try to get away with 2 cans, should be plenty for the hood I would think, based on my wheel painting experience, and shipping isn't too expensive if I need more.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've used paintscratch before to paint an aftermarket grill for my gf's civic. Matched perfectly. I also bought the adhesion promotor which they recommended. Bull Dog I believe it's called.

Expensive though. I'd probably go with 2 cans of paint. For the door handles, I'd probably have them professionally painted so they last. They get a lot of rubbing and keys scratching the driver and passenger door handles.

98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson