Carbon Fiber Sunroof Replacement Instructions

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Northwind Composites
First Gear

Carbon Fiber Sunroof Replacement Instructions

Post by Northwind Composites »

This thread is meant to describe how you can install the carbon fiber sunroof replacement panels that I am manufacturing. This is meant to be a guide and is not the only way to install one of these items.

There are two separate ways to replace the stock sunroof glass. The first is to remove only the glass and maintain all the factory trays, sliding mechanisims, etc. This method allows the sunroof to function as before.

The second method removes all the factory mounting hardware and permantly mounts the carbon fiber replacment panel to the chassis.

Currently I am providing instructions only on the second method. I will add information on the first method at a later date as needed. This thread is a living document so I will be updating the first post with additional information and pictures as needed.

Please feel free to ask questions regarding my instructions or other approaches to the installation.

*Safety Note* Carbon Fiber and Fiberglass dust can cause skin, eye, and respiratory irritation. Latex gloves, dust mask, and safety goggles should be used.

Tools Required
- 180 Grit Sandpaper and Sanding Block
- Measuring Tape
- Hand Drill
- 3/16” Drill Bit
- 1/16” Drill Bit
- Screwdriver

Materials Required
- 10” Length of 3/4” or 1” Aluminum Angle, 1/16” thick
- Qty 5, #10 Sheet Metal Screws, 1/2" Long
- Masking Tape
- Epoxy Putty
- RTV Silicon Sealant, color per user preference

Installation Procedure

1. Make Mounting Clips
----- Make (5) 2.0 inch long clips from the aluminum angle.
----- Drill a 3/16” hole per dimensions shown below in picture #1.
*Note* If using 3/4" angle use 0.3” instead of 0.45”.
*Note* If using 1” angle, use 0.45”.
----- File all edges smooth and clean, round over any sharp edges.

2. Locate Mounting Clips
----- Use masking tape to cover metal tab as shown in picture #2.
----- Measure down from top surface 0.2” as shown in picture #2.
*Note* The Carbon Panel is approximately 0.18” thick. You may offset the piece as far below the top surface per user preference. The 0.2” is merely a base recommendation as every car enthusiast has different aesthetic criteria.
*Note* You should make several small marks as the surface of the roof curves front to back and side to side so drawing a straight line from one edge of the metal tab to the other will not work effectively.
----- Carefully clamp the Mounting Clip to the metal tab lining up the top edge to the marks you just made.
----- Install the Mounting Clips at the front and rear edge of the side metal tabs. Exact location is not critical. I use the tangent of the radius on the metal tab for my reference.
----- Install a single Mounting Clip in the center of the front Metal Tab as shown in Picture #3.
----- Mark the center of the hole on each Mounting Clip.
*Note* Make sure you label the position of each Mounting Clip to make sure everything lines up correctly upon final installation.

3. Install Mounting Clips
----- Drill a 1/16” hole at the marks you just made for the Mounting Clip.
----- Attach Mounting Clips to the metal tabs using #10 sheet metal screws as shown in Picture #4.
*Note* Ensure Mounting Clips align with marks on the masking tape before tightening.

4. Size Carbon Panel
----- Using sanding block and 180 grit sandpaper, sand the edges as needed until the carbon panel drops into the roof opening and easily sits on the Mounting Clips.
----- The Carbon Panel should fit closely but must be loose to allow room for expansion and contraction of the sheet metal and the carbon panel with changing temperatures. A 1/32” - 1/16” gap is adequate.

5. Adjust Angle of Mounting Clip
----- Due to the contour of the Carbon Panel, there is a gap at the edge of the Mounting Clip as can be seen in Picture #5. The Mounting Clips can be spread by carefully tapping on the back of the Mounting Clips. If you have access to a bench vice, it is easier.
----- Adjust the angle a little and then remount. Repeat as necessary until a good match in angle is achieved.
*Note* This step can be skipped depending on personal aesthetic criteria. It is recommended as too thick of a bondline can have a negative effect on the strength of the glued joint.

6. Prepare Bonding Surfaces
----- Mark the Carbon Panel where the Mounting Clip mates to it.
----- Scuff the Carbon Panel in the marked areas with 180 grit sandpaper.
----- Clean any sanding residue off with Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone. It is critical that the bonding surface be clean.
----- Scuff the Mounting Clips with 180 grit sandpaper and clean well with Isopropyl Alcohol. Again, it is critical the bonding surface be clean.

7. Bond Carbon Panel to Mounting Clips
----- Mix epoxy well per manufacturer’s recommendation.
----- Apply a small amount of epoxy to each mounting tab.
----- Carefully place Carbon Panel onto the Mounting Tabs.
----- Apply light pressure to the Carbon Panel to seat it.
----- Clean up any squeeze out immediately with Isopropyl Alcohol or Acetone.
----- Allow to cure for 24 hours before proceeding to the next step.
*Note* If you keep the masking tape on the mounting tabs during this step you will prevent yourself from gluing everything to the chassis and allow future removal if needed.

8. Seal Carbon Panel
----- Remove the Carbon Panel from the chassis and remove the masking tape from the metal tabs.
----- Reinstall the Carbon Panel and ensure fit is correct before tightening screws.
----- Seal the edge of the Carbon Panel with RTV per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
----- Allow to cure for a minimum of 24 hours before exposing to rain or water.

9. Enjoy your new carbon fiber sunroof replacement!
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Re: Carbon Fiber Sunroof Replacement Instructions

This post is a placeholder for all the pictures associated with the instructions.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4, Note that the white milky residue in the picture is polishing compound residue that I hadn't cleaned off before taking the picture.

Picture 5

Final Install Picture, prior RTV application. I openly admit this picture is not very good but anybody keeping up with weather in the CDA area knows that I couldn't roll it outside for a good picture due to snow/rain (yes snow :shock: ). I will replace this picture with a much better one as soon as possible.

TurnNburn
Second Gear

Post by TurnNburn »

I just removed my sunroof and glued it in place using a similar method, but that looks way nicer. Are you going to produce more and do you have a price for them yet?
1990 NA 2.2 Open Light rally car
Northwind Composites
First Gear

I will most definately be producing more. I am currently working on getting a new shop and until I do my capacity is unfortunately severly limited. I have been working through some logistical issues and hope to have doors open on the new shop within about a month. Once I get the doors open priority #1 is making some more of these and then priority #2 is a carbon fiber post-face lift hood.

Price for one without a clear coat is $145.

I do have a thread in the Vendor forum that has many more details regarding this piece, pricing, and capabilities - http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46354 . I am going to ask that any pricing or future project questions be posted there and this thread be maintained for specific questions regarding installation. Additionally, you are welcome to email or PM me with any questions or issues you may have that I can help with.

Thank you.
chochocho
Second Gear

Post by chochocho »

does the 2nd option eliminate the sunroof altogether?
Northwind Composites
First Gear

Cho, the second option does eliminate the sunroof all together. The pictures and guidance in this thread are for the 2nd option.

If you have further questions about the product, please feel free to post them in the 'Official Buy Thread' - http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53959 . Otherwise I would like to keep this thread specific to information pertaining to installation and maintenance.

Thank you.

I should note that my post just prior to yours in this thread is from 2011. Since then a tremendous amount has happened in my life and a new shop has been set up and such. Unfortunately I am no longer able to hold the $145 price and they are now $160 with many details in the 'Official Buy Thread'.