Painted my leggy DIY style!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mati_Suba89
In Neutral

Painted my leggy DIY style!

Post by Mati_Suba89 »

I had a previous experience with my first car, a 1981 toyota celica liftback with a 2T engine (slow but high reving fun little sewing machine lol).

This is the first time i actualy try it on a more significant car and actually caring about the final result. I got away from the city to do it since i have nowhere to do it near my home so i haven't seen the results in daylight, i left the car some 30 miles away and will return this weekend.

I had a bit of rust along the rear window edge and it was starting to get noisy. Plus i parked the car in the street and some $#^^$ did a hit and run on me... after that i was pretending to be a rally driver and tore the rear bumper off.

In other words, it needed some attention!

Full service the weekend before it got cliped on the side. Changed engine oil with new motul 6100 and original subaru oil filter, gear box and rear diff fluids with motyl gear and changed brake pads.

The friendly neighborhood #$% hole! i was really angry as you would imagine!

Rally attempt!

No more dents. down to bare metal.

Took the window out using a fishing line to cut the glue out

primed on sunday with new bumper included. I don't know about prices in the us nowadays but here that original and new plastec rear bumper cover cost me 380 dolars! there are hardly any used parts for my model and had no other choice. bummer...

Anyways. I promise i'll post more pics when i get the car put back together and even more when i finish detailing it.

PS: i left the driver's side mirror because there was a screw that was on way too tight and i had no luck unscrewing it, just wouldn't budge!

And by the way i wanted to ask your opinion: What do you guy's think about these wheels? thay are original pt cruiser rims but have some resemblance with the sti rims don't they?

ride_child
Third Gear

Re: Painted my leggy DIY style!

Post by ride_child »

powdercoat/paint the rims black! other than that, for pt loser rims, the look pretty sick!
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Nice work so far. As far as availability of parts for Legacys, that depends on what part of the US. Subarus are most popular on both northern coasts. I could prob find 10 or so 2nd gens in the 3 closest junkyards at any given time. Legacy777 lives in texas and I'd bet he'd have trouble finding 10 in the county he's in...

2t engine huh? My old boss had a hard on for the 3tc, he jokingly sugguested that as an engine swap into all old toyotas lol. That one sounds like a muffled chainsaw.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice work on the paint job! Looking forward to seeing the final results.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mati_Suba89
In Neutral

Post by Mati_Suba89 »

i need to wet sand and polish the paint to get a better result. i also need to clean paint off wheel wells and stuff, put al the mouldings back on and maybe wax it. I might wait to put the windshield ones though since i have to replace the glass because it has a crack in it but for now i'll leave the car sitting there for one or two weeks.

BTW be careful when you pull off the masking tape, i really effed up one of the doors peeling some paint :x

sorry for the bad quality.