Working on drive train, disconect the sub frain!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93 legacy
In Neutral

Working on drive train, disconect the sub frain!

Post by 93 legacy »

93 legacy wagon automatic

So as the poorly rhymed topic suggests, If you have an overhead lift, would it be easier to unbolt the sub frame and steering linkage and picked up the body to expose the engine/ tranny than it is dropping the tranny and lifting the engine out?

There is a shop you can rent time at here in portland (gearhead garage) you can rent time at and it includes all lifts tools jack and all data.

So basically if i go there i can think outside of the box, and i was thinking that might be easier.....

ideas?
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Working on drive train, disconect the sub frain!

Post by James614 »

I do think that could be easier. When I did my EJ20G/5spd swap I was thinking that was probably the way to go after the fact.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
93 legacy
In Neutral

Post by 93 legacy »

anyone else actually disconnected the body at the subframe and lifted it up?
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

There is a thread on here of a guy putting a whole engine and tranny in his first gen with the car on the ground and the hood removed. I pulled my engine up with a hoist and dropped the tranny from below when I rebuilt mine. When I do swap out an engine in the future, I plan on using a lift and dropping the subframe like you said. I think that's the easier route to take
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt
speezly
Second Gear

Post by speezly »

Lining up the bell housing was the worst experience ever, I would go out of my way now just to be able to slide the tranny and engine into the car already connected together.
93 Legacy l AWD 5mt
87 GL-10 Turbo 5mt