CDT Speaker Upgrade

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

burnt_toast
First Gear

CDT Speaker Upgrade

Post by burnt_toast »

So both of my current Legacy's front door speakers are out, and play intermittently if not at all.

Thinking about upgrading, and recall running a pair of CDT CL6x speakers in my old first car, a '96 dodge avenger, and they sounded fantastic

found these on amazon and reviews look promising:
http://www.amazon.com/Cl-6ex-CDT-Audio- ... B001MSTA0A

would those fit? haven't taken doors apart just yet

any opinions on other options are welcome
'94 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon; kyb gr2's/mostly stock
'05 Toyota Corolla XRS - 1.8L 2zz-ge, 6speeds of revtastic fury
richnaso81
In Neutral

Re: CDT Speaker Upgrade

Post by richnaso81 »

Crutchfield.com says yes.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
SouperPoo
First Gear

Post by SouperPoo »

The first 94 Legacy I had I didn't touch the fronts because they were fine. It was just the stock head unit failing. Sorry for going off topic. The worst part about a first gen Legacy's audio system is that the front speakers use a weird triangular mount with a 6.5 mounting hole. I think some people pop the stock speakers out of the mount and attach them that way. What I did was take the plastic triangular mounts out of a 2000 Legacy and put my kenwoods in those. The triangular mount from a 2000 is not a perfect fit in a 1st gen though. Just to warn you. I don't know the best way to approach the front speakers. Just giving insight.
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

SouperPoo wrote:The first 94 Legacy I had I didn't touch the fronts because they were fine. It was just the stock head unit failing. Sorry for going off topic. The worst part about a first gen Legacy's audio system is that the front speakers use a weird triangular mount with a 6.5 mounting hole. I think some people pop the stock speakers out of the mount and attach them that way. What I did was take the plastic triangular mounts out of a 2000 Legacy and put my kenwoods in those. The triangular mount from a 2000 is not a perfect fit in a 1st gen though. Just to warn you. I don't know the best way to approach the front speakers. Just giving insight.
hey, I appreciate it. It'll come in handy once I actually tear into it. Have to open up the the door to mess with keylock assembly so I'll try to ceck it out then.

seems like modding things to fit the 1st gen is the name of the game lol
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The mounting depth is the typical issue on the front door speakers. You can use standard 6-1/2" speaker spacers if needed. Make sure to role down the window all the way to check clearance between the speaker magnet and window.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
oregon_c350
In Neutral

Post by oregon_c350 »

Grab the speaker holders from a 95-99 Legacy front doors. They are plastic and the speaker screws into them. They mount into the 90-94 doors just like the original metal one-piece design and have the same angled up fit as the OEMs.
burnt_toast
First Gear

Post by burnt_toast »

oregon_c350 wrote:Grab the speaker holders from a 95-99 Legacy front doors. They are plastic and the speaker screws into them. They mount into the 90-94 doors just like the original metal one-piece design and have the same angled up fit as the OEMs.
cool. thanks for the tip