check engine light

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

whippet
In Neutral

check engine light

Post by whippet »

Just bought a 93 Legacy yesterday 5 speed AWD. When driving it the check engine light would go on and off at about half second pause. Also with engine not running if you turn on the ignition the cooling fans come on and pulse. This was with a cold engine sat overnight. When checking the connectors to get the codes the green connectors were connected. I disconnected them and the cooling fans no longer came on. But then the engine check light would flash with ignition on and and engine running or not. I could not find the black connectors. Looking at 2 of my 90 legacys I could find both green and black connectors. One of the black connectors wire (red with black stripe) goes to the ECU. This same wire in the 93 goes into the wiring loom. I also checked my other 93 and I could not find the black connectors on it either. The wire from the ECU also went into the wiring loom. I am missing something here how do I check codes on the 93? How can I get the check engine light to stop flashing? The car is driving fine though I haven't driven it very far.

cjt
Last edited by whippet on Wed Mar 19, 2003 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Hmmm... The green connectors together means the car was in D-check mode, which explains the light blinking and the fans pulsating. D-check mode shows codes as you drive the car. If your light was flashing quickly in the pattern you described, there should be no codes, otherwise it would flash them.

Now why is your light still flashing with no codes and your green connectors apart? All I can say is look harder for your black connectors. If it's flashing in the ON position, it must be something to do with them...

I personally have always used D-check mode, I have never touched the black ones...

Someone with a 93 wanna help?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should have the black connectors, they're probably hiding. Try taking out the TCU and digging behind there.

It's possible to still get the CEL to flash if the black connectors are not connected.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

It took me a while to find those damn connectors too. I'd suggest putting the seat down flat and laying down on it with your head under the dash and your feet on the headrest. I've found that's the most comfortable way to go digging under the dash area. Just keep looking, you'll find it.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
whippet
In Neutral

check engine light

Post by whippet »

Thanks again for the help. After getting home from work I started looking again. On the 90's one of the black connectors with the black with red stripe is connected to a bigger black with red stripe wire along with 3 other (4 total) wires. One of the other three wires is one of the green connectors. On the 90's the black and green connectors are together. On the 90's the other black connector a red with black stripe goes into the ECU or is it the TCU. With the 93 the big black wire with the red stripe is connected to only 3 wires with one being one of the green connectors. the wire comming out of the ECU (TCU) red with black wire that went to the other black wire went up into the wiring loom. After disconnecting wires to move them out of the way I still could not find the black connectors. There was no way there could be any connectors on the left side of the steering column. I started looking on the other side of the steering column and low and behold there they were and connected. So on at least on this 93 and possibly my other 93 the black connector is on the right side of the steering column away from the green connector. Any way after disconnecting the black connectors and turning the key on the CEL came on and stayed on. Then when starting the car it went off and stayed off. Thanks again

cjt