Noob here have a few questions

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

turbo-baron
In Neutral

Noob here have a few questions

Post by turbo-baron »

Ok First of all this is the 4th forum a have been sent to so hopfully someone here can help me out. So im looking at picking up a 1992 subaru legacy 2.2 turbo. Im not new to turbo's or subaru's for that matter. What is good as far as mods go on these things. How much boost will it be safe at stock with maybe an Intercooler. My daily driver/toy is a 1989 chrysler lebaron convertible 2.5 turbo with various mods and my brother drives a 98 subaru outback 5spd. Im picking this thing up as mainly a winter car /Backup car. Any help would be much apreciated.

Thanks
Brendan
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

do some searches you will get a grip of answers.
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Hey Brendan. Welcome to legacycentral.

Good mods for these cars obviously start with intake and exhaust. And since your not new to turbo'd cars then i guess we dont need to explain much there.

I hear alot of WRX bolt-ons work for our EJ22T's. That goes for downpipes, intercoolers etc. The Turbo is slighly different then the WRX turbo's, so the piping wont be the same. But an intercooler is an intercooler, and can be made to work.

You can safely run up to 14psi before your ECU cuts your fuel supply. Definatly dont do it w/out an intercooler.

Suspension is kinda hit and miss. I hear '02 WRX springs are a good upgrade. Its what I plan on running so we'll see i guess.

And yeah, searching helps. You really dont even need the search feature. The forum is broken up so you can just go into the sub-forum and surf and pretty much learn anything you need about that subject (brakes, intercooling, engine mods)

-Brian
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

the ecu cuts fuel at 13 psi. you can run 12psi safe with no problems
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
turbo-baron
In Neutral

Post by turbo-baron »

Thanks guys. Any problem areas i should be looking at before i pick this thing up. When i went to go see it there was no one home so I could not get under the hood. I do belive it has an oil leak as there was a puddle under the car (hopfully a oil pan gasket) . What turbo's are on these?. How strong are the auto trannies? Well i have a bunch more questions but im going to do some searching first. Thanks again guys.
Last edited by turbo-baron on Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

If I was you, I wouldn't waste time trying to fix the stock auto tranny. I would just do a 5-speed swap and be done with it. The cost would actually work out to be the same, and you would have a much more reliable setup in my opinion.

The best intercooler for your setup would be out of an older saab or an intercooler out of a 04+ Forester XT or 06+ WRX.
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
turbo-baron
In Neutral

Post by turbo-baron »

The tranny that is in it now (auto) is fine. Im in the process of doing a 5 speed swap in my baron and i don't want to put that much work into the rue
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Dammit... you stole my idea!

I've always wanted to boost the hell out of a LeBaron, complete with wheel covers and a torn ragtop, and surprise the living hell out of people! :lol:

Got pics of the LeBaron?

Oh yeah, this is a Subaru forum, hehe, whoops. Pics of the Soob would be good too!
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
turbo-baron
In Neutral

Post by turbo-baron »

Umm... im afraid chrysler came up with the idea first :D . It's an 89 2.5 TI stock. The turbo motors came in caravan's,lebarons,omni's,spirits etc lol.Image. It's going to be a mid 14 sec car when it comes out of my garage and that is with very minimal mods lol. Ok enough about the baron this is a subaru forum after all here is the beast i hope to be getting Image [/img]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Oh, I know the LeBarons came turbo. But anyone who knows what to buy at a hardware store can make a turbo car tear ass, even if you blow it up in the process :lol:

Very clean! Although the cowl shake must be quite unnerving ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
turbo-baron
In Neutral

Post by turbo-baron »

lol before it went in my garage i was running 10 psi with the auto and no I/C. When it comes out it's going to be 5 spd, Intercooled and 14 psi on a garret turbo . Im hoping the subaru is going to be as easy to mod as the baron. It's ablast lol. Mustang owners hate me.