Future member coming soon, just did a full turbo conversion

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thehookeup
Third Gear

Future member coming soon, just did a full turbo conversion

Post by thehookeup »

So my friend Alex bought a 91 leg wagon 5 spd, pretty clean for the most part. He picked it up for pretty cheep because of the nasty knocking motor that was in it, but the owners of the car had bought another motor for it.

So my friend swapped in the new motor and was having problems with the idle. he called me over to help him out. Turned out to be a bad IAC. replaced it, then i mentioned to him that we should turbo it.

He laughed and then said "OK". i was in shock didnt believe him. A few minutes goes by and he says "im serious lets do it, lets turbo this bitch". I then made a phone call to doug who had a extra; turbo motor, full exhaust, full wiring harness, turbo, computer, and pressure exchange solenoid, boost controller, and Map.(THANK YOU DOUG, it came out of simonasaur's car)

We went over to dougs shop picked everything up, drove back to my friends house and started the swap. The new motor my friend had put in the car hadn't been in the car 24 hrs and then we had started the conversion.

i had sold Alex a 02 wrx intercooler last year for his diesel Volkswagen transporter, that he never used. So we slapped that on it with a HKS SSQ BLV, and a perrin Boost controller. ran it at about 11 PSI the thing was great and very fast until the clutch started to slip. so besides the clutch slipping now its awesome. The next step is to raise it and camo it.

96 beers, and about 15 hours of actual work over a 3 day period (we were drunk 90% of the time) the thing runs bad ass

so needless to say he will be joining the board soon.
-93 2.2T (RIP), 93 N/A best car on earth.
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Sorry, I just can't see doing "drunk" installs. I'd rather be stone sober when I do motor work. Glad it worked out for ya though.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

holy shit 96 beers. lol thats hella damn funny doing a turbo conversion drunk.

that was a good laugh. thumbs up on the good job yall.
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

yea we totally drank way too much. but either way it was done, and looks completely stock with the exception of the intercooler. The only down side is the slipping clutch
-00 legGT, 18" PIAA sport mesh wheels, front/rear Rallitek sways, lowered whitelines, coming soon: 2.5L sti internals, 20g heads P&P, twin charged. motor is almost ready to go in.
Andrew
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

i can't get drunk while wrenching, its just too busy for stuff like that. I guess I have a couple times but my friend was making me take pulls of jim beam. a few is cool, then it's a downhill slope of making mistakes and hurting yourself. :lol:
wagon sounds cool as shit, but lets see some pics of this diesel transporter!!!!! stat!
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

yeah just don't get high and try to wrench... can you say LOST NUTS AND BOLTS!!
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
thehookeup
Third Gear

Post by thehookeup »

if i smoke i cant work. my brain totally shuts off. i have tried it and then i think i just ended up staring at my car for like 3 hours.

ill try and get those pics. i have to go to his house tomorrow to pick uo some tools
Andrew
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

smoking is def out of the question when doing mechanical work. actually, lately, smoking has been out of the picture entirely. Beers FTW's.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!