My JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Florin1
Fourth Gear

Re: May have the chance to get a B4 RSK

Post by Florin1 »

Apex3 wrote:
AWD_addict wrote:There are at least a couple 959's in WA, I've seen a silver one in Redmond. Paul Allen has one too.

Getting a B4 RSK registered in the US would be an accomplishment, maybe you could fake it with a VIN from a USDM BE?
Pretty sure there's only 2 in Washington, and Gates lives in Bellevue(well, Medina technically) which isn't too far from Redmond.

OP that's awesome though, so you don't know exactly what the PO did to get it registered?
I'm pretty sure there's at least 1 more out there. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: I now own a JDM Legacy B4 RSK

Post by kimokalihi »

:shock: NICE! Wouldn't want to work on that engine.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Who's is that? Fake? Doesn't look like a house that would have a 959 in the garage...
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Def not fake. He's a modest guy (far side of his garage). Trust me its real. Only 3,300 original miles on it too. Had my Porsche mechanic stop by to take a look at it once. He couldn't stop drooling.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

There are lots of ways to get cars like that here, especially if they have a similar USDM counterpart. The less questions we ask about its origin the better. Nice car!
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

Getting back on topic: there are only a few ways to get "grey market" cars into the US. If the car has papers, the hard part is done. Congrats.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I got the title and insurance stuff in the mail yesterday, so all the paperwork is officially done.

I do have a stumble down low, which is acting like a minor boost leak on the primary turbo (only does it intermittently and it still pulls really hard past 5k). I've got a few things I need to eliminate, like plugs (I haven't had a chance to do anything except change the oil), and I also know I have a very slight exhaust leak, which sucks because I'm hearing that up/downpipe gaskets are completely different than USDM models :shock:

But Friday was a bit more eventful than I'd have liked it to be: the radiator sprung a leak and I had to get towed home. A pinhole leak in the actual core, not an endtank. I had a radiator shop fix it and it seems to be holding, although I only ran it long enough to do a coolant sniff test. The last time I overheated a Subaru, the headgaskets blew :x so I wanted to be sure that didn't happen again. It didn't; from what I can see, this car has MLS headgaskets already, so I don't think I have to worry about that.

I'm going to eventually replace it anyway, as it's a freakin' single-row! My reasoning is that Japan doesn't have 100º summers like we do in FL, so they don't need as high-capacity of cooling systems. From what I'm reading on UK/down under B4 forums, and from my own visual inspection, a bugeye WRX radiator is a direct replacement. So I'll likely be getting one of those soon.

I've gotten a couple bodyshop estimates, some of them expensive, some of them downright astronomical. The car looks okay from afar, but there are so many different areas that need work (including the left quarter which has lousy bondo work done on it) that it's adding up to be a lot of money. I plan on getting it in the shop within the next couple weeks.

But, in spite of the aggravation thus far, I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

And now... Moar Picturz... ;-)
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

DerFahrer wrote:
I'm going to eventually replace it anyway, as it's a freakin' single-row! My reasoning is that Japan doesn't have 100º summers like we do in FL, so they don't need as high-capacity of cooling systems. From what I'm reading on UK/down under B4 forums, and from my own visual inspection, a bugeye WRX radiator is a direct replacement. So I'll likely be getting one of those soon.
That, my friend, is a lie. I was there for 2 weeks in the summer and was sweating my ass off every day of it, even when it rained, it was about 95 during the day and 70 at night every day.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Can you do the bodywork yourself? Take it from my experience that you can get a 1/2-3/4-assed job done anywhere for any price, but you'll really have to pay through the ass AND luck out of you want a shop to put the care in that you would—the full ass job, if you will. I'm putting Monica Bellucci's ass worth into mine.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I don't know shit about bodywork, so all the TLC in the world won't help much, and I don't want to learn on this car... that's what the Datsun's for :)

I'm considering having a dent guy take some of the minor dings out to see if that helps bring the cost down. I also have the option of partially disassembling it beforehand to save on labor.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Apex3 wrote:
DerFahrer wrote:
That, my friend, is a lie. I was there for 2 weeks in the summer and was sweating my ass off every day of it, even when it rained, it was about 95 during the day and 70 at night every day.

Agreed....it's very hot during the summer and very humid. southern Japan is about at the same latitude as northern Florida.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Hmmm... not sure then.

Put about 30 miles on it tonight, and everything is good so far.

As requested, a couple more pics. They're from my phone, so they're not fantastic. I'll save the proper photo shoot for after it's painted.

By the way, I've also made the decision to part out my old Legacy. It was a very hard decision to make, and I know I'm gonna have a few emo moments as I'm tearing it apart. But I just don't have time for it, and I think I did a pretty damn good job finding a replacement.

So keep an eye out in the Parts Shed for a part-out thread.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

Holy shit! You have no idea how jealous I am. Better than that POS 91 you were gawking over for years right? If you're looking for some S401 front and rear seats let me know. I was saving them for my BE that I can never seem to find, but I think it may be time to part with them. Have the badges too. Good work sir, good work.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Changed the plugs and also put a K&N air filter in it (all the same as a USDM 2.0L WRX, which I think is going to be a trend), and it runs better. But it's still got a boost leak, for sure. So that's my next project. Oh, and it's a Subaru, so it idles poorly :?

Hardy, my 91 is a POS now, but I'm mostly to blame. I had it since I was in high school, made mistake upon mistake with that car (yet it was still as reliable as the universe), and I fully intend to use those lessons to take better care of this car.

Plus, I realize that I could put thousands more dollars into the 91 to get it back fixed up, and I'd still be driving a 20-year-old 130-hp USDM Legacy that's worth $1500 max.

That makes no sense, not even for sentimentality.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I guess I haven't mentioned yet. That car is sick, and I'm super jealous. I would much much rather have that car than any WRX you might find in the states, maybe even over an STi. But I'm a sucker for unique cars, and unassuming cars, and this fits both.

DerFahrer wrote:Changed the plugs and also put a K&N air filter in it (all the same as a USDM 2.0L WRX, which I think is going to be a trend), and it runs better. But it's still got a boost leak, for sure. So that's my next project. Oh, and it's a Subaru, so it idles poorly :?

Hardy, my 91 is a POS now, but I'm mostly to blame. I had it since I was in high school, made mistake upon mistake with that car (yet it was still as reliable as the universe), and I fully intend to use those lessons to take better care of this car.

Plus, I realize that I could put thousands more dollars into the 91 to get it back fixed up, and I'd still be driving a 20-year-old 130-hp USDM Legacy that's worth $1500 max.

That makes no sense, not even for sentimentality.

Everyone makes those mistakes, I'm glad I made the mistakes I did, only helped me in the end.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

By the way, there's something else I've neglected to mention... there was a bonus in the trunk when I got it.

If you know your Subarus, you should know exactly what these are :D

EDIT 9-9-17: COILOVERS HAVE BEEN SOLD!

*Formerly DerFahrer*

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Best trunk bonus ever!
90 L+ wgn
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very nice bonus!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

The car went in the body shop this afternoon, where I expect it to be for up to two months. They will be taking their time with this car and giving it special attention, as it will be kinda a promo thing for them as well when I take the car to shows and tell them where the work got done.

Anyway, I did manage to snap one good picture of it with my good camera, which allows you to see some of the issues with it, including the bondo'ed quarter if you look carefully.

So, consider this the before pic:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

huck369
In Neutral

Post by huck369 »

Glad to see you back in a Subie Michael!
[b]Huck[/b]
03 Impreza RS 5-Speed
89 XT-6 AWD 5-Speed Pearly (EG33 Powered aka FrankenWedge)
99 Forester S 5
94 Impreza Coupe
92 SVX LS-Tour RWD 5-Speed
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Looking good! Are you going with the same color??
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Caboobaroo
In Neutral

Post by Caboobaroo »

evolutionmovement wrote:Didn't they have to be made to pass emissions? I know back then there were businesses that would federalize non-US market cars (like Ferrari BB512s, for example) by adding, often badly, emissions equipment.
Funny you should mention a BB512. I worked at a bodyshop in Redmond that had a BB512 in there that was getting worked on... slowly....

I ended up priming the car and prepping it for paint before I was laid off from there.

Michael, that car is goregous! I'm jealous :lol:
1987 RX STi - EJ22T/EJ20K/EJ257
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I have the car back in my possession, and it looks pretty awesome. But I'm haggling with my body shop (as is usually the case) over a few small details that are keeping it from being show ready. So, no photo shoot yet... but I did take one good pic of it:

*Formerly DerFahrer*

ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Car looks amazing!!!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)