To SVX or not to SVX?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

To SVX or not to SVX?

Post by SILINC3R »

Anyone know of problems with these or any experience. Florin1 I know you got/had one. Might look into getting one when I move to Mobile, AL. Thanks in advance.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: To SVX or not to SVX?

Post by evolutionmovement »

Transmissions and wheel bearings.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jefferson
Third Gear

Post by jefferson »

Add brakes and sealing engine to the list. Be prepared to spend money to fix it. Everything is more expensive. This is not from personal experience, but a friend is a Subaru tech and had one that he put a 5 spd in. I have always wanted to get one and he always says to be prepared. It wouldn't be like the S4, but it isn't a normal Subaru. He had to seal his engine and he related how much all the parts were and that was at his cost.

Jeff
91 Black SS 5spd. Edm lights, wrx gauges in dash, 45 degree airbox, cryoed drilled and slotted brakes. Invidia divorced downpipe with custom stainless exhaust. To be installed, aluminum a-arms, manual belts, awic.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Yup i still got it. it still has the 6 speed in it too. lol. Been so busy with work and two other projects, that it just sits. I'll give u a good deal. lol.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Hmm
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

evolutionmovement wrote:Transmissions and wheel bearings.
Do they just give out the tranny? Auto or manual?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

All SVXs were automatic from the factory.

They basically used the same transmission as the 4cyl cars, which were designed to contend with 130hp, not 230hp. The SVX was also a lot heavier too. So if you find one, at the very least, ensure the car (and especially the transmission) was serviced regularly.

There are a few 5-speed-swapped SVXs around... in fact, talk to Huck (who's on this board as huck369), as he is the first person to ever do a 5-speed swap in an SVX.

Wheel bearings have always been a Subaru problem, but Foresters and SVXs are the worst about it, especially in the rear.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Florin1 wrote:Yup i still got it. it still has the 6 speed in it too. lol. Been so busy with work and two other projects, that it just sits. I'll give u a good deal. lol.
Sent you a text and PM, dont know if you have the same number?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

I've read that the SVX transmission is the same as the Legacy Turbo's 4EAT, w/its extra clutches and such. It's a lower FD ratio (3.54?), but otherwise the same.

Heat is the killer of Subie 4EATs and the SVX suffers the worst.

The SVX goes thru transmissions like the EJ25D blows head gaskets.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
concretelegacy
In Neutral

Post by concretelegacy »

The SVX has it's own ratio not shared with any other Subaru. I got lucky and found one with a factory reman trans w/ low miles. A popular trans swap for the SVX is the 4.44 ratio swap. These can be found in mid 90's outbacks and Legacy GT's. And they bolt right in with no mods (except for the rear lsd)

The bottom line is if you're thinking about buying an SVX I say do it! They are awesome affordable gt cars and I love mine.
-Brian
2002 Forester
2009 WRX
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

concretelegacy wrote:The SVX has it's own ratio not shared with any other Subaru.
According to the FSM it's 3.7 for the FWD and 3.545 for the AWD.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

Tony, I say do it! I've seen several good southern examples for sale over the years down here, and I've had to hold myself against doing it (for other reasons, like you know, that whole racing motorcycles thing, marriage, kids, etc). One day I'll have to settle for another Leggy GT or a WRX STi or something like that (sleeper-looking 95-99 Outback with crazy turbo HP?).

I actually saw a few decent SVX's for sale today when I was cruising ATL craigslist looking for some other local Subaru parts (including one with the 4.44 trans swap already). Several being parted out too, so you could find some parts like a spare trans or other body parts or bits.
12 Outback 3.6R Limited
94 Leg LS wag AWD, sold
93 Leg L wag FWD, sold
06 LGT 5EAT, project
crisco
First Gear

Post by crisco »

do it!!!
--- crisco --- 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero---
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Yea Pat there is one in Cherokee and one in N.C. I was looking at but starting cost of an apartment might be more that I thought. But i would love to bore that engine out to like 3.6 and put some cams in and have around 260-280. Would be very quick car even with the weight.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP