New guy

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Lowie
In Neutral

New guy

Post by Lowie »

So yeah, I'm a new member. Redneck Wolf told me to check it out here.

Anyways, on with the story. I've been hunting for a project car for the last little while, since I'm hoping to get into a local college for autobody repair/paint and what not, and I found a 1992 Legacy turbo for sale.. the lady wanted $600, but I've talked her down to $250 after going to check it out. I don't know if it runs or not, nobody was home when I checked it out with a friend. It's an automatic, interior seems pretty clean, no tears, the windows and sunroof don't seem to leak either.. but the body is a bit rough. My main question, is it worth it? The sticker on the plate says it was last on the road in 05, and I dunno how long it's been sitting outside (they do have a garage, car was behind it)

Seller says it needs battery, brakes, exhaust, and paint. Also says the mirrors and turn signals are in the trunk

I just think it's worth saving because here in Newfoundland, you don't see these *that* often, plus I've always loved Subaru's since my uncle took me for a spin in his Legacy wagon back when I was 4 or 5 (I was born in 93)

Anyways.. pics..

What do you guys think? Is it worth the money? I've been having second thoughts, and thought I'd come here and ask the Legacy gurus. Haha.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New guy

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

This car is definitely a project car. I would want to see if the engine runs and check it out a little closer. Have any animals chewed through wiring or created a nest.

How much money do you intend/want to spend on it to get it running? Is this a car you want to use as a daily driver? I can see easily spending a couple grand to fix or get the car back to normal running shape. If the engine and mechanical stuff is in good shape, that's less work, but the fact it's sat for so long isn't great.

I would only pick it up if you have a lot of time to invest into the car and you have a fair bit of money to spend on it. Do not buy it if you're looking for a car to use as a daily driver and just figure you'll fix it up in your spare time.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Not too concerned with using it as a daily, more less it'd be a "summer" car, and a project for myself, and my little brother. He's been showing an interest in cars lately.. who knows, maybe the stepdad would work on it too.

Before, I was absolutely set on buying it, but I've been getting second thoughts.

The sad thing is, this was the the better condition of the other cars I checked out.
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

if she takes the 250 buy it. worse comes to worse you could part it out and make more than ya paid for it. or once your done you'd have one sweet ride and great memories with your bro which is worth more than any car
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

^ see, thats what I was thinking.. if it's not worth saving, part it out.

the fact my brother (who turned 10 back in May) has expressed some interest in it has made me want it more.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

New guy

Post by entirelyturbo »

How much rust? I think I see a pretty nasty patch on the trunk lid, and the rear quarters and fenders are also known problem areas.

Structural rust never really goes away, no matter how good of a bodyman you are, so keep that in mind.

Other than that, I absolutely think it's worth it to learn and practice on. It will definitely be a lot of work, but if you make a nice car out of it, awesome. You'll have something to be proud of. If not, move on, and you're only out $250.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Yeah, not sure how rusty the underside is, couldn't get a good enough look. I'm pretty keen on buying it since it's pretty damn cheap. I mean, here you can see rusted out Miata's and Camaro's selling for over 4 grand. It's ridiculous.
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

You can't beat 250... And working with my brother on project cars is some of the best memories I have with him, worse comes to worse u part it out

Sent from your bathroom closet
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Well, decided to go ahead and get it. Bringing it home friday evening if all goes well. I'll post up some non cell phone shots of it then/
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

sweetness
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

alexandermf wrote:You can't beat 250... And working with my brother on project cars is some of the best memories I have with him, worse comes to worse u part it out

Sent from your bathroom closet
what he said^^^

definitly buy and restore it. the results are amazing.
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Oh I plan to.. already have a color picked out for it as well...

FR-S orange. I'm loving that orange...

turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

i'm dropping a reman ej22t in my wagon ordering tomorrow. was going to do it today but woke up late
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

For 250 that shell alone is worth having, But FRS orange = eeewwwww
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Haha, I just really like the color... but it'll be a while before it's ready for paint, so who knows, I'll probably end up changing my mind on that.
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Well, I just bought it. Just gotta bring it home tomorrow. Previous owner said he bought it with a new turbo put on, and he only drove it for like 3 weeks before moving and such. The fenders are brand new, just have surface rust. It's got all the receipts for work done on it, original bill of sale, everything. He said it either has 117,000KMS, or 170,000. Either way, I'm still pretty happy with it.
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Went to try and get it towed today, but no dice... gotta go back tomorrow with some friends and tools and see what happens. Took some pictures though.

SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

How bad is the rust on the body? That would be my biggest concern.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

SILINC3R wrote:How bad is the rust on the body? That would be my biggest concern.
Sideskirts need to be patched, as do the rear wheel wells. There's a rust hole on the drivers door, and one on the trunk, and then the front fenders, but other then that the body is solid.
Lowie
In Neutral

Post by Lowie »

Well, me and a friend went over tonight to do some shit. We had a battery charger hooked up, and all of the lights work. Pretty impressive considering she's been sitting for a few years. Basically, the only electronics that don't work is the sunroof.

We got the trunk open too, and found my corner markers, mirrors, and some mudflaps!

as of now, it's still in the PO parents backyard due to not being able to push it. Just need to gather some bodies to help push it so I can tow it.