Hello, Thank You legacycentral for being available

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jbclegacy
In Neutral

Hello, Thank You legacycentral for being available

Post by jbclegacy »

Hi All,

I've been lurking the forum for some time now, finally signed up for membership last month to make better use of the search capability.

I started out with buying a 2002 LGT 6-7 years ago. Didn't want an Impreza, everyone had one, felt like a kids car when I drove it.
Fell in love with the car when I drove it home from Toronto to London, decided I won't be getting rid of the car anytime soon. Named it Betty, still piling on the mileage today.

Well, modding inquiries started invading my head about a week into owning it. Lowered on Bilsteins with H&R Springs, a few sets of wheels; blacked out the interior wood trim; tinted the windows; back and forth with a CF hood; shorty intake; 3, 4 or so axleback mufflers over the years; some suspension mods; all the simple stuff I can do in the driveway, trying to keep it clean.
But I keep hearing those turbos, those damn turbo WRXs and STIs at all the meets I visit, driveby's, making me want more...

A few years back I picked up a donor, a black 5spd 1992 SS. My intention was the lofty goal of putting that engine in my 2002, and I wanted to grab one on the cheap quick as they seem to be hard to come by around here. The stories of the EJ22(t) set stars in my eyes in regards to its history with rally, the engineering behind it, the fact that it wasn't another impreza engine swap...
This donor car was high mileage, beaten, holey, rusted out. I drove it for all of 8mins back to the house and thought this 20-something year old car has got some pull to it, shame I'm taking it apart...
So I bought the next one I could find a year later to drive. An exact copy of the parts car, a 1992 black 5spd SS. I figured I could have some fun with it, learn a little more about them, and drive it as the beater; winters were fun! Unfortunately, a lot of bad body issues were covered up with bondo, rust paint, and newspaper filler; really, really bad rust issues. So I decided to drive it anyway, wouldnt have to worry about parking lot dings or keeping it clean, it lasted until now, but its just not safe to drive anymore, I can fit my arm in the rocker, and the cost of body work wouldn't be financially reasonable, even with me hacking away at it myself. I've decided it is now a second donor vehicle, even with parts selling to contribute to the LGT project.

Driving the SS made me want to finish up my goal of a swap in the LGT, and at the same time distracted from getting any where on the goal, it was just too fun to drive! So now, I've finally torn into it. Pulled the engine from the donor, started taking it apart. Slow progress, learning as I go, trying not to let it scare me away.

I'm at the point of having the short block, a pair of ej20 turbo heads, a couple of intercoolers, td04, and some plumbing parts. I'm trying to figure out if the heads will fit without having to modify or replace the pistons. I can't seem to figure out if the pistons will contact the 2 litre heads, all the posts I keep finding somehow change to 2.5 head hybrids with no definitive answer there for me.

After speaking with a shop near me here, (SevenAutomotive), looks like a WRX harness and ECU will be the way to go; tunable and will not be an issue with OBD regulations here in Ontario.

Well that post went a little longer than I intended, but I have to tell it to some people...!

I'm looking forward to checking in here on a regular basis while I put this all together, I want it to be a nice blend of old and new generations. Feel free to contribute some advice, I'll try to understand the info as it comes.

Thanks!
James

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Hello, Thank You legacycentral for being available

Post by Legacy777 »

James,

Welcome to the BBS!

Sounds like a pretty cool project! Definitely keep us posted on the status and feel free to post with any specific questions you may have.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Hi James, the stock pistons won't hit the 2.x heads with the stock (thicker) EJ22T head gaskets. This requirement also kills your compression, bringing you from 8.x down to 7.x:1. Lag city, just ask CJ ;).

For this reason, people put wiseco or other aftermarket pistons in there. Once you do that, the ~20 year old rods become a weak point, so you might as well put STI or forged aftermarkets in there. Bearings, machinework and etc, and you end up with over $2k just in the short block. Ask me how I know ;)

My recommendation for that car, is to do a full 02-05 WRX swap, having a shop merge the wiring. Use whatever shortblock you like, but you must use heads and intake that match the wiring harness. *the TT heads won't work with 02-05 wrx wiring, sensors, pulleys, etc, without TON of modification*
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

mike-tracy wrote: My recommendation for that car, is to do a full 02-05 WRX swap, having a shop merge the wiring. Use whatever shortblock you like, but you must use heads and intake that match the wiring harness. *the TT heads won't work with 02-05 wrx wiring, sensors, pulleys, etc, without TON of modification*
+1

The '02+ WRX harness swap is the best option. Otherwise, you're looking @ a standalone or piggy-back EM in order to run the 'older stuff'. If you're going to just run the TD04 (and think you'll be satisfied w/that), the stock EJ22T short block should suffice 'as is' w/ a set of EJ205 ('02-'05 WRX) heads (and intake manifold). A good Tuner can add some timing to help w/the low CR. But as Mike states, if you're going to do it 'right' you'll want to upgrade the EJ22T's internals.

I'd go look over on the LegacyGT.com website, NASIOC, and RS25.com for others that have gone down this path w/the '00-'04 Legacy/Impreza/Forester non-turbos (since we're focused on the older stuff here), but there's lot's of people here willing to help if you have questions. :-)

As a side note, you'll probably be around 200Hp/Torque @ the wheels (225 crank) w/the TD04, and your stock Legacy transmission will 'probably' be fine.....if you're thinking of pushing that to the 250-300 (STi) power levels, I'd start saving for a tranny, too. :wink:

Lastly, the EJ22T blocks are popular w/the UK Subie fans and worth $500+, so if you wanted to sell them and just buy a complete EJ205/EJ257/EJ255 to drop in, you have that option too.
GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
jbclegacy
In Neutral

Post by jbclegacy »

wtdash wrote:
mike-tracy wrote: My recommendation for that car, is to do a full 02-05 WRX swap, having a shop merge the wiring. Use whatever shortblock you like, but you must use heads and intake that match the wiring harness. *the TT heads won't work with 02-05 wrx wiring, sensors, pulleys, etc, without TON of modification*
+1

The '02+ WRX harness swap is the best option. Otherwise, you're looking @ a standalone or piggy-back EM in order to run the 'older stuff'. If you're going to just run the TD04 (and think you'll be satisfied w/that), the stock EJ22T short block should suffice 'as is' w/ a set of EJ205 ('02-'05 WRX) heads (and intake manifold). A good Tuner can add some timing to help w/the low CR. But as Mike states, if you're going to do it 'right' you'll want to upgrade the EJ22T's internals.

Thanks guys!

My understanding is, your suggestions are the best route to go, and that is my intention. Major components are collected, just need to get a hold of the 2.0l usdm manifold, harness and ecu. An Impreza owner up here offered his ver5 manifold, but I don't think the JDM hardware will work with a USDM harness, the hunt continues.
I have the second SS to part out, will post the block up on eBay, I'm curious to see what it will bring. Parting out the two cars will provide funding for the end result!

Thanks for the numbers on the power gains, nice to see some potential numbers with the idea. Helps me realise keeping this all conservative will make me happy, with room for improvement as I see fit.

I intend to pull the 22 heads in the next few days, want to see if they're dished, learn a little more as I go, all that fun stuff. I really want to stay with the idea of running the original ej22, I like the idea of staying true to history in some way.
Then I start shopping for some internals; I don't want to lose so much compression with a thicker gasket.

I'll post some pics of the three when I take some. All this love for the cars over these years, and I haven't taken any worthwhile pics!
James