New from Portland!

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: New from Portland!

Post by wtdash »

OBX on ebait.
Last edited by wtdash on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Great info on an alternative muffler that is affordable! Going to call about a wagon in the pick n pull for some more parts this weekend too.
1993 Legacy Wagon, 2.0Turbo, 5MT, TMIC
2005 Legacy Limited Wagon, NA, Auto
OT cars: 1925 Model T and 1978 F-150
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

I have a really nice 3" oval style axelback muffler, it came off my SS. I went straight pipe because it wasn't loud enough for me. Muffler sounds awesome, subtle but rumbles nice. PM me if you're interested.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Well now someone knocked the drivers mirror hard enough to shatter it so off to Pick n Pull to get a mirror, steering wheel, shifter boot and trim, sun visor, the tabs that hold the cargo cover and potentially an antenna since mine does not raise.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

You should look into getting an Outback wheel if you are staying stock. The NA legacy steering wheels kinda suck in my opinion haha. You shouldn't have a problem finding everything on your list though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Starting to smell gas occasionally so now i need to look at the charcoal canister and check all the fuel lines. From my reading could also be the O2 sensor. Looking at getting a WRX clutch/flywheel since there is some whine in my trans. Wasn't really planning on pulling the engine/trans but I guess it had to happen sooner or later.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Whining may be from the trans itself and not the clutch/flywheel. But my last SS had a WRX clutch and flywheel and seemed to grab just fine. Not really sure if theres any benefit to it but it worked good.
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

still being new to Subarus I had some free time yesterday so I stopped by Superior Subie here in town (RobertPaige suggestion) just to have someone look at the car and let me know if there was anything glaring wrong I needed to address, what I should start with and what could be next steps. I was blown away with how knowledgeable and nice everyone was. They looked at the car, gave honest feedback, made suggestions, showed me other cars with ideas I should emulate, calmed my fears (tranny whine at initial shift) and got me more enthused about the car. It was a really positive experience. They put it on the lift and noticed leaking rear struts, leaking steering rack and missing O2 sensor. So a little more work added to the list, but not too bad. Now off to more reading and research to see how to accomlish some tasks! I think the starter rebuild will be first though.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Awesome! Glad to know they treated ya well. Did you tell them I sent you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Picked up a new mirror, some interior trim and visors from craigslist. Found that the door speakers were blown and disconnected but I only have some 5.25 mb quarts so either need adapter rings or 6.5s. Also need to get new triangle pieces that fit over the mirror as the drivers side only has one tab left to hold it in place (loud on the highway). I have to get after the starter issue, find a steering wheel, fix the antenna and continue to teach the wife how to drive a manual transmission. Really enjoying the car! Two other issues recently: got stumped by the driving lights getting accidentally turned on. Also the AC has decided to sometimes blow and sometimes not, but read all about fixes for both. Thanks BBS!
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

AC issues: sometimes works/sometimes doesn't (more frequent when really hot, nice!), fan blows nearly the same on 1 or 4 (if at all), fan seems to blow harder at higher RPMs (am I crazy?), fan makes intermittent sound like it is hitting something on every revolution that is speed dependent. I know about the re soldering the pins, the ability to pull the fan without pulling the dash and to check in the drivers foot well for the actuators so I guess I will start with all of those. 218k on the chassis so something is bound to be crapping out!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd start by pulling the fan to see if there is any obstructions. Plus you can run some test/bypass leads to the battery and power the fan directly to see if it's the motor or something with the wiring/circuitry.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

about the fan blowing the same on 1 or 4, thats definitely the resistor pack located behind the glove box. ive heard of people resoldering them but i have no idea how. haha theres a little protective cage around them and i had no luck getting that off
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Replaced the relay and the fan, working again! Thank god as it is supposed to hit 100 tomorrow. Also replaced the contacts in the starter, so no more clicking without starting (I hope)!

Next up: steering wheel swap, fuel smell, new antenna, shifter boot, sway bar bushings (may upgrade), fix steering rack leaks, wire up the fog lights, put in the front speakers and drive the wheels off it.
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

The plunger for the starter was for the automatic so i did not replace that, has clicked a few times but has not left me stranded yet.

AC blowing cold air, but not as hard as it was when I first got it or I just never had it in 100 degree weather. Maybe the resistor also needs to be replaced?

Anyway I will roll with it the way it is for a while and fix other things. Always something to fix/replace!
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Always something to replace on these cars... Haha

I'm jelly you have AC. Mine was taken out to accommodate a metal coolant tank.
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Took the car into Superior Subie today as it has been dying, can hear the BOV (which should be on recirc), running really rich and doing all sorts of other weird stuff. Waiting to hear the diagnosis.
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

So I need new silicone hoses throughout basically and they suggested getting an EJ20G ECU. It seems to be running better, though it chugs/bucks a lot more in 3rd/4th at lower speeds. They also notified me that I have a narrow band Air Fuel guage, but now it is hitting lean a lot more where as before it was super rich during its poor running. Otherwise they said it is a pretty original EJ20 turbo motor so i just need to figure out the ecu and hopefully it will be happier (and me too as well). More reading and Ebay shopping to commence.
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

So it is chugging and hitting lean on the narrow band in the 1500-2000 rpm range, causing me to shift to jump the rpms and bring the air fuel to a better range and run more normal. It has never done this before so I am not sure what the deal is. I have emailed Rob, of Robtune, so hoping to get more of an idea what this new wrinkle is. Watching some EJ20 ecus and still reading more on the forum about conversions.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If your AFR gauge is hooked up to a narrow band O2 sensor it is worthless and is nothing more than flashing lights.

When are you experiencing the chugging/bucking? Does it occur at low or high rpms, the engine lightly or heavily loaded, etc?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Well it has been a while and there have been lots of up and downs. Turned out the chugging was a massive air leak. Got that fixed. Swapped out the contacts on the starter and that helped for a while. Then was left in a parking lot so I got a rebuilt starter. Installed the mirror, only to get clipped again so i picked up two mirrors but they also tagged the drivers side rear wheel well just barely. Died again on the way to work one day and had it towed to Amp Auto in Aloha. They found a dead fuel pump and replaced it. Also found a dead battery so I had them replace that as well due to the 40 minute drive and the high temps recently. Put it up for sale on Craigslist as my family isn't leaving me with enough time to do much work on the car. Also we will need more room when a second kid comes. Ended up getting a lot of interest on the car and sold it with 75% down, just waiting on the title to come from the bank (which is now almost a month in the mail!). He drove about 100' before the engine made a terrible noise and died. It seems like it may be the turbo that let go but not sure. Anyway I gave him his money back.
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

So today I am trying to decide:
1. sell it as is (guessing it is worth less than $1k)
2. write it off on my taxes
3. part it out (guessing it is worth about $1500 plus a LOT of my time)
4. drop in another used motor (likely cost at least $1000, take a LOT of my time, should be able to sell for $2500-3k)

Any other thoughts?
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

If you part it out, I'm local and could use a lot of parts. Fenders, bumper, possibly doors, engine stuff, interior stuff. Our cars are the same color so it would be sweet to get some stuff.

Definitely send me a PM or text me. 503-840-2286
DoubleWagon
In Neutral

Post by DoubleWagon »

Thank you guys for all your help and advice. I really enjoyed my stint with the Legacy, but with my current life situation it just didn't jive. Then there was the engine blowing up. Anyway I sold it to a guy here in Portland that has a closed deck 20G that he is going to swap in as soon as possible and then figure out what is up with the current motor. I hope to be back on here sometime in the future with another project I have been dreaming up.

Thanks again.