Best order to swap out engine and driveline stuff?

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Hinano
First Gear

Best order to swap out engine and driveline stuff?

Post by Hinano »

I'll be getting a ej20g engine at the least and maybe the transmission to go with it for my 90 5speed. I'll be putting in a wrx front crossmember but I also need to throw on my STI shocks, different control arm bushings and rebuild or replace my axles. Since the car will be sitting for a month or two waiting for the engine and maybe transmission, I am looking to do other work on the car while I wait. Should I install my sti suspension, address my axles, and install my wrx crossmember first, then when the engine/trans gets here, swap those in? Or will I be doing a bunch of extra work? As you can tell, I've never really done anything like this but I can learn and am ready. :)
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Best order to swap out engine and driveline stuff?

Post by James614 »

I'm pretty sure you'll have to take off your N/A exhaust to fit the WRX cross member, but if its sitting anyway may as well. As for everything else, there's no reason not to do it now. Aside from the axles, you won't be pulling that stuff for swap so that's less to do later. And the axles take 5 mins to pull when you need to move them for the swap.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

First step get a Haynes manual so you have something to folow.
If you are getting a engine and tranny then you can go ahead and start removing components. When you have all the lower stuff out of the way. You could install the suspension if you are removing the A arms and tie rods.

Make sure you label and tag/bag. Since you uave time you can do that.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Hinano
First Gear

Post by Hinano »

Okay well the thing is, I don't have a engine hoist so I'll need to build one but I am not sure if I want to pull the motor until I am ready to put in the new one. I am afraid I'll forget how everything is if I pull the motor and wait two months…

So I think I'll just do all the bottom end stuff now while I wait for the new engine. I'll also replace all the seals on the new engine as recommended.

Since I need to do my axles anyways, I guess I'll just take all the bottom end stuff off and replace and see about rebuilding my oem axles.

Thanks ya'll. Oh and yes, I just bought the Hynes manual. :D
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

I'm concerned about "building an engine hoist" You don't have a friend that has one you can barrow? Sears? Harbor freight?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Hinano
First Gear

Post by Hinano »

cj91legss wrote:I'm concerned about "building an engine hoist" You don't have a friend that has one you can barrow? Sears? Harbor freight?
Just looked into it! I will use a pulley system from one to the huge beams in the garage! :D Also, I'll pickup a engine stand for 80 bucks at NAPA. :)

Also, I'll be removing axle today and will inspect the axle to see if I can rebuild them. I called that axles.com place that was recommended but shipping to Hawaii will be 100 each way! Napa sold Cardone's for 50 bucks but I read bad reviews. Mine are OEM green ones so OEM spec rebuild! :D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are the boots torn on the axles or are you having any issues? If not, you should be able to clean them out and pack with new grease.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Hinano
First Gear

Post by Hinano »

I wasn't able to drive it long enough to diagnose problems but it didn't seam to tick or anything. There is grease in them still and one joint had grit in it but I'll take them off today and post up pictures for feedback.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If the boots have torn, I would be hesitent/careful about just rebuilding. I had that done with a set of axles back in the late 90's. I don't know when the boot tore, but it had been open for some amount of time. The axles were fine, however several years later I got a violent shaking/shudder that would occasionally come on. I could not find any other problem with the car, but once I replaced the axles, I never had that problem again.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm