FYI: Shipping to Canada

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

FYI: Shipping to Canada

Post by DLC »

As many of you know, shipping to Canada with UPS or FedEx can be costly to both parties, and can get held up by customs and all manner of other nonsense.

If you're shipping something to Canada from the United States, please consider the USPS - United States Postal Service.

USPS takes your package to the border, then hands it off to the Canadian Post, who handle the package from there. Nationalized postal services seem to make it much less a hassle, and it's far cheaper as well.

Example: Aluminum oil cap in a padded envelop from Utah to Quebec: $3.10. It would probably have been $15 from UPS.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Yes, this is very, very true.

A member here just returned an item he bought from me that he wasn't satisfied with and he sent it UPS, which arrived on my doorstep with a $50 COD. Thanks :roll:
98 Steel Widebody RSTi-RA Superbeast
bushlocos
In Neutral

Post by bushlocos »

I'm never home to receive the package, and I have to drive 20 miles to pick up my stuff.
Don't even waste your time with couriers. USPS or nothing.
92 Legacy (AWD 5MT N/A W/Big dreams)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm always asleep when the USPS place comes by and if the package doesn't fit in the mailbox (seldom does) they won't leave it here. I have to drive in to the post office. They used to leave it on my fence but they changed drivers and now she won't leave it. They used to honk to before they changed drivers but the new lady won't. I called and complained that she doesn't honk and I'm always here when the mail is delivered but they said if you have a gate they won't honk. WTF?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

I forgot to mention that $1.20 of that charge was the padded envelope. Seriously cheap.

If at all possible, get your packages delivered to your place of work. If that fails, then maybe there's a way to have a sender mark something as "hold at PO".
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

yeah i had a member here interested in a midpipe and UPS wanted 30 dollars to ship to montreal
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

USPS or nothing plus one.
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Re: FYI: Shipping to Canada

Post by ericem »

When I was younger. I purchased some plastic rc car wheel's for $40. Came from USA I am in Canada. He put the $40 value down and shipped via UPS. I was charged $32 duties!! I call in and ask WTF is this shit right. They told me there was car wheels labelled and I said and? She told me they had to charge me metal fees because they thought it was automotive wheels IN A 20" x 6" box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Was reduced to $18 after HOURS of time on the phone trying to explain that it contained plastic not metal and it was for a TOY car.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I've had no issues with the USPS sending books to Canada. And, with Media Mail, nobody else touches the price. People like to bad mouth the USPS, but aside from a particular mail man or so, I've never had a problem with them. Can't say the same for UPS.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I wish they'd bring back DHL! I shipped a PAIR of REAR 1985 Toyota Celica Supra wheels from San Diego to Michigan.. $57! A rear diff shipped was around $30.

I think that DHL based their prices around REASON rather than "what can we get away with?"

I recently shipped with UPS to Holland, a front and rear Legacy bumper to Timo.. They only brought it to the airport! PFT, I could have done it cheaper if I flew there! and checked them as luggage. Timo and I both took a hard hit on that deal. But at least he has his new USDM SS front bumper and used rear bumper now and I've my EDM headlights.

USPS: they quoted me a little more than UPS, but it was straight forward drop-off and receive, not a bunch of headaches and "oh we forgot that you need to pay this... and that..." GRRRR @ UPS

USPS +1 (x10)
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

I sold some floormats to a person in Canada. Hr wanted me to send fed ex. MY fed-ex quote there was 94.30
I sent them usps for 36 bucks instead and apologized to the person. apparently one time the usps lost his stuff for 26 weeks.
Anyhow it took a week and 1 day to get the mats to him.
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

i too have had problems with this. i will no longer ship to canada for this reason. especially after dealing with RJ93SS.
elislider
In Neutral

Post by elislider »

I can vouch for USPS to Canada. sent a giant top mount intercooler for less than $40, with insurance too IIRC
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

I generally never use UPS/Fedex anyways unless I'm compelled to on eBay. USPS is cheaper and gets the job done with no surprises, domestic or to Canada.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

inside the US, I prefer UPS as the US postal has lost A LOT of my stuff. That and it is only a couple bucks more and i get tracking and delivery confimation.

But for out of country- you have to go USPS
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)