Cruise Control Vacuum Pump

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

oleman77
First Gear

Cruise Control Vacuum Pump

Post by oleman77 »

So after reading several posts on what could have caused my cruise control to quit I have come to conclusion that my vacuum pump is bad but wanted to ask a question before I go any further. This vacuum pump runs on 12 VDC and after hooking it straight to my battery I would have assumed that it would run, but no dice. Took it apart, didn't really see anything that looked bad. Put it back together and put 12 VDC directly to it again and still nothing. I'm assuming this pump is bad but wanted to see if I was on the right path first. Can any confirm that putting 12 VDC direct to pump should make it run? Thanks fella's....
1994 Legacy Sport Wagon (EJ22T)
1977 Leone 4X4 Wagon (EA72)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Cruise Control Vacuum Pump

Post by Legacy777 »

Which pins on the connector are you applying 12v & ground to? Or did you remove the pump? Based on this diagram, pins 2 & 3 should be the pins you apply 12v & ground to. If you get nothing then yeah I agree the pump is probably bad.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/fil ... ntrol2.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
oleman77
First Gear

Post by oleman77 »

I actually applied 12V & ground directly to the motor. The motor didn't operate at all so I got the entire assembly from a junkyard (they said they checked it and it checked out fine) and got the same result, it did not operate either. Not sure to do next...
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hmm, I'm not sure what to tell you. Did you try switching the positive & ground wires to see if the motor only operated in one direction?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

oleman77
First Gear

Post by oleman77 »

I sure did, no go...

I tee'd in a vacuum gauge right before the vacuum canister that the throtle cable is connected to and went for a drive. Tried to set cruise at several different speeds, 0 vacuum on the gauge which is what lead me to begin troubleshooting. The pump is the first thing I checked, removed it and put 12V directly to motor contacts and as I stated above but got nothing. Same results with pump I got from JH and find it hard to believe they are both bad. Im beginning too think its something else but am still confused why I can't get either motor to run putting 12V directly to it. I'll keep troubleshooting....
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Let us know if you find anything out. I'll try and take a look at the factory manuals and the cruise section to see if it has any different test procedures for the pump/motor.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT