engine tunning options? / data loging, Im Lost

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

speedmaxx
Second Gear

engine tunning options? / data loging, Im Lost

Post by speedmaxx »

so Im lost haha I need some way of know whats going on in my engine bay. I have been searching like crazy and found a few different choises. I first started off with the idea of a wideband would help to tell me where my car is at but I have found some other choises and im not sure what to go with.

first idea I had was a innovate lm-2. Sweet little hand held, I really like the idea of it being an obd2 reader although that dosent apply to my car. I would be going with the mid range kit that includes a few differnt extras that alow me to acually moniter stuff. plus I can moitor stuff on the hand held but would probsably update my logs to my computer

next came the Zeitronix zt-2, seems like it does a ton although sepreat sensors need to be purchased to run all the other cool features, seems like a real nice layout, so for $280 I can get started and I just need to hook it up to my lap top, plus all the senors are like $29 but the boost one is like $129 :shock: but I would deffinatly get it for loging purpose.

next is avaliable from one of our own fourm members, http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 6&start=50. Im not sure how I feel about this thing, Im just not sure what is acually required to run this thing. but what sparks my interest is the fact that tunning can somehow take place with this adapter plus the fact I can veiw all my oem engine bay senors or so I think.

basically I need to be able to monitor all my different engine bay senors, if I can tune thats a big time bonus. basically whatever info you guys may have I would love to hear it. but please I am no computer wiz I pretty much become lost once we begin talking about uploading to rom and so fourth. whats everyone else doing for enginmengment and sensor monitering? Im staring to lose faith in obd1 hah theres like no easy way of adjusting everything. I would kill for chip that can run well with my set up

thanks in advance
93 legacy l
to much to list....
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Re: engine tunning options? / data loging, Im Lost

Post by BSOD2600 »

Datalogging you have a few options...

* vg3's dos scan tool. IMO, I wouldn't recommend it as its picky about the hardware and you have to make your own cable.
* EvoScan. commercial tool which supports ODB-I. The author has implemented a configuration I modified (there is thread somewhere on this forum with the details). It can also connect to multiple widebands during data logging.
* RevScan. Author is MIA, but its free. There is another thread on the forum with its details and download link.

Both EvoScan and RevScan use the same USB data cable.

As for a chip, look into the 'robtune' on this forum. It's basically the replacement for the now defunct Revtronix chip.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

Data logging A/F ratios is easy with widebands. I have a Innovate LM-1 for sale, if interested. Also have a apexi avcr boost controller that allows you to monitor injector duty cycle.
1992 Legacy Sport
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

okay sweeeeet, but let me get this strait seems like the evoscan is the way to go. now the evoscan will alow me monitor all my factory sensor inputs and voltages just pluging this cable into my car and into my computer and downloading the software right?

Im assuming this is the proper cable I will need?
http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdi ... u-vehicles

also with the evoscan alow me to see whats causing a check engine light? and read trouble codes? now if I were to buy a wideband o2 set up is there any way that I can tie that in to read on the screen of the evoscan? how about boost can I get the evoscan to see boost? mind u my car is a turboed 93 legacy l.

Im still searching the other options u listed bsod2600 thanks for the input
93 legacy l
to much to list....
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Yes, evoscan will let you monitor all the sensors (only because I and another person took the time to reverse engineer all the parameters and conversions). Yes, you want the SSMI cable. Yes, evoscan will hook into your wideband (the website lists what models are supported...basically every current wideband out there).

No, evoscan will NOT show/clear engine codes for ODB-I. only revscan can do that.

I've used both of these software on my ex-1994 sport sedan.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

man I owe u a beer hah I have been seaching for these awncer for way to long.

okay so if I were to buy the cable from evoscan I would have the option to use both evoscan and revscan correct?

also this is the proper cable right?
http://www.evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdi ... u-vehicles

now just to be clear the evoscan will not alow me to tune any on the sensors correct? is there anything out there that alows me to?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Bump??
93 legacy l
to much to list....
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

speedmaxx wrote:man I owe u a beer hah I have been seaching for these awncer for way to long.
UPS or paypal it :P
speedmaxx wrote:okay so if I were to buy the cable from evoscan I would have the option to use both evoscan and revscan correct?
Yes.
speedmaxx wrote:also this is the proper cable right?
Yes the 'EvoScan Subaru Select Monitor I' cable.
speedmaxx wrote:now just to be clear the evoscan will not alow me to tune any on the sensors correct? is there anything out there that alows me to?
Our older ECU's are not tubable at all via software. This is why there are chips (revtronics, robtune) or piggyback systems to compensate for aftermarket upgrades.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just a note regarding using the evoscan, it can only log as fast as the ECU can dump, and the OBD1 ECU dump capabilities are rather limited, so the sampling time will not be great, especially if you have multiple data points you're trying to log. BSOD2600 and others can probably tell you how fast the logging is.

My recommendation would be to get a Zeitronix WB and the evoscan. That will allow you monitor the stock sensors to some extent, and also give you good logging abilities for things like boost & AFR's.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

hmmm okay, the more im learning about about obd1 the more I relize it sucks hah.

Im deffinatly gonna be getting a wideband to assist with data logging. question though, u mention logging boost but how would I be able to do that? remeber my legacy is turboed na 2.2 with the stock harness.
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Ive got evoscan and the cable and it says you can log with the innovate lc-1 wideband but i cant get it to connect to mine. The software is alrght but im not using it because its useless to me without the wideband logging.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

I've successfully used EvoScan 2.7 with a LC-1 wideband for data logging.... must be a software config issue.

As Josh stated, the most you want to log at any time is ~4 parameters, otherwise there won't be enough resolution to analyze.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

speedmaxx wrote:hmmm okay, the more im learning about about obd1 the more I relize it sucks hah.

Im deffinatly gonna be getting a wideband to assist with data logging. question though, u mention logging boost but how would I be able to do that? remeber my legacy is turboed na 2.2 with the stock harness.
The Zeitronix WB has the ability to have additional sensor input into it for logging and display. You would need to purchase Zeitronix's boost sensor though.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

okay good news! my cable came from evo scan....

now I just feel like a moron cause I have no clue what it hooks up to hah

wheres this thing supposed to plug into?? Im guessing I got the correct one

http://evoscan.com/evoscan-gps-obdii-ca ... u-vehicles

it says it should work with my car?? what am I missing?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It does. You plug that white connector into a matching connector under the driver's side of the dash above your right leg. Then you plug the other end into your laptop and install the software.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

so im looking for a open conector im assuming? and I purchased the software when I bought the cable but the bill I got from evoscan dosent show the software purchase, yet paypal shows the disk. is it like a disk I upload or is it just a download off my computer?

sorry for all the newb questions im learning as I go hah I deffinatly appreciate the help though
93 legacy l
to much to list....
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

wooooooo I found it!!!

now I just gotta find the software????? or something
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You have to go on the evoscan site and download it. They should give you a code I think, it's been a while. Email them if you can't find it. I'm almost positive you have a limited amount of time that you're allowed to download it.
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

okay so I got my serial number, but im cunfused, I go to there site and log in then it lets me download the evoscan program but it wont work. like shouldent I have to plug the serial number in somewhere to gain acess??? what am I missing?
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What doesn't work exactly?
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

Like the program won't run for some reason, I just feel like I need to be plugging in that serial number somewhere
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

If the program won't run at all how will the serial number do you any good?
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

It's been a while, but I seem to recall on first launch of evoscan it'll ask for your email and activation code. If this isn't working, then create a support ticket and have the developer help you figure it out.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 TW | R.I.P.
speedmaxx
Second Gear

Post by speedmaxx »

alrightttttt I got it going just doing the setup now
93 legacy l
to much to list....
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Another thing you should know is that you need an update for that software I believe that evoscan specifically made for Rob that allows you to change the BAUD rate which is basically the refresh rate I believe. Rob says it reports data too slowly and needs to be changed to 4800. I have the update if you need it.