cant get car to start: need help fast

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mx4life
First Gear

cant get car to start: need help fast

Post by mx4life »

I had a cel code 21. The coolant sensor got replaced and it wont clear out of the ECU. Cel is still flashing and the car will not idle. Any thoughts? The battery has been unplugged overnight, still wont clear. Maybe bad ECU or faulty wiring? The code popped up immediately after I did the O2 sensor. Didnt even start the car and it popped up 21. The car flat out wont run. It was running fine before.
Last edited by mx4life on Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Click For My 93

Click For My RHD 97

'93 SS V3 RA/STi EJ20K 4.44 DCCD
'97 RHD Wagon soon to be TT
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Re: coolant temp sensor code wont clear- need help fast

Post by Apex3 »

You probably knocked something loose. A code won't make it idle badly, whatever's causing the code is most likely what's doing it. Do you have a voltmeter? Check the wiring to see if the sensor is getting proper signal, it's also possible you put in a bad sensor, the one I put in went bad after about 6 months :evil:

Typically when something goes wrong that's completely unrelated to what you were working on, at the same time, it's because you knocked something out of place when you were doing it.
mx4life
First Gear

Post by mx4life »

ECU pin for the CTS had no continuity between it and the sensor. I made a new wire for it. 21 doesn't pop up any more but my car still wont start. How many volt/ohms does crank angle and cam angle sensor test at? Just tryin to trouble shoo ya know? I do have spark.
Click For My 93

Click For My RHD 97

'93 SS V3 RA/STi EJ20K 4.44 DCCD
'97 RHD Wagon soon to be TT
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

mx4life wrote:How many volt/ohms does crank angle and cam angle sensor test at? .
Once again, the PDF FSM scan posted in the stuff you need to know forum has all of this detailed info.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: cant get car to start: need help fast

Post by Legacy777 »

It's possible you may have other wiring issues going on. The wiring on these cars can get brittle and crack due to the age and heat. You may have to do a little more troubleshooting on the engine sensors.

Have you confirmed the fuel pump is working while cranking? I'm not sure why it wouldn't start if you have fuel & spark.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm