Code 33

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

maria24017
First Gear

Code 33

Post by maria24017 »

I have been trying to fix my car one code at a time. I was trouble shooting for over a year trying to figure out my rough idle and loss of power, combined with the smell of old gas when the car was started. Plug wires didn't do anything to make a difference. I tried cleaning the injectors by hand with carb cleaner, nothing. Then tried replacing the passenger side fuel rail and injectors with some original parts off eBay. Power improved ever so slightly but rough idle almost seemed worse. Saturday my father was working on swapping engines in his truck and had to grab a few things at pick and save. I knew they had a 90 legacy and a 92. I was finally able to get 2 more injectors for $6 each and I also grabbed a TPS for $5 (advance is trying to sale them for $329!) I soaked the injectors in carb cleaner and put them in and installed the TPS. The car is running like new. Better then it even did when it was given to me. It is so peppy!

NOW it has a code 33. It has come and gone intermittently but has stuck around for a while. Speedo works but RPM gauge and cruise do not. It shifts just fine. Before we even had a code on the ECU we had a code on the TCU for vehicle speed sensor 2 if I recall correctly. It is still there. What should I check? The cables are expencive new and I'm hoping not to buy one
1990 Subaru Legacy L sedan 2.2L 4 cyl AWD automatic 122,500

The worst day of your life only lasted 24 hours
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Code 33

Post by Legacy777 »

Vehicle speed sensor 2 is in the dash. Since the speedo works, the sensor should also be working. Since the cruise and tachometer do not work I suspect you may have some wiring issues that may be causing your problems.

If you remove the lower kick panel under the steering wheel, do any of the wires look like they've been chewed on by a rodent or look damaged/melted? To really test the wiring, you'd want to pull the gauge cluster out and test the wiring and the cluster. That is some what of a big job if you aren't super electrical savvy.

Other thing to check is make sure all the fuses are good. I'd suggest starting with that since it's easy and simple.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm