Code 44- confirmed solenoid good (New Development)!!!

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Imprezafan93
First Gear

Code 44- confirmed solenoid good (New Development)!!!

Post by Imprezafan93 »

I keep having trouble with code 44, fixed or cleared the number oc other code issues, and 44 remains. I confirmed the solenoid works buy connecting straight to the battery and confirmed that it indeed works, in fact sounds much stronger than the wrx one i also tested.

My question-does anyone know if can bypass the bcs, with a resistor or something, and how i would go about, (if i wire in a resistor ill do it by ecu anx then just unplug the bcs) and installing a manual boost controller instead.

This is the last code standing between me and WOT
Last edited by Imprezafan93 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Re: Code 44- confirmed solenoid good

Post by cj91legss »

There's a dropping resister that is plug and play, search on the forum for that and it'll tell you exactly what trim legacy you can snag one from.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Imprezafan93
First Gear

Post by Imprezafan93 »

Ah success! I knew i read a tiny hint about somebody using a resistor, a forum search was fruitful when searching terms dropping resistor. Ive seen those a hundred times on old na subarus and never quite knew what it was. Good to know i can use that! Thanks sir
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

No problem, glad I could help!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Imprezafan93
First Gear

Post by Imprezafan93 »

alright guys there has been a new development that i recently discovered

i installed a mbc and boost gauge to monitor, as well as used a dropping resistor in attempt to eliminate a cel. no dice!!

i finally kicked my lazy bug and pulled the ecu from its little cozy nook to inspect the wiring and noticed an absence of two certain wastegate and pressure exchange solenoid wires. i went to inspect the harness i have from the swap and saw that those two wires were in fact present. i think if the largest plug is separate from the other three i must have just left it, i really only swapped the full engine harness, but not the harness that goes in the drivers fender well for the intake manifold.

not sure what to do, should i run wires into the engine bay for the pressure exchange solenoid and wastegate??i mean i pretty much have to if im not mistaken.

im confused though because those plugs were on the harness i swapped over, but i digress.. im getting 12v to the wastegate on one wire, which is curious. more importantly i need to get this thing up and running! if anyone has advice please let me know, car is a 1991 legacy ss

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Re: Code 44- confirmed solenoid good (New Development)!!!

Post by wtdash »

"not sure what to do, should i run wires into the engine bay for the pressure exchange solenoid and wastegate??i mean i pretty much have to if im not mistaken."
yes....that's what I did on my swap - I guess you could get away w/just running wires for the PES as the WG could be wired under the dash to the 'dropping res.", but I prefer to do it 'like stock' in case you needed them all together.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Imprezafan93
First Gear

Post by Imprezafan93 »

wtdash wrote:
"not sure what to do, should i run wires into the engine bay for the pressure exchange solenoid and wastegate??i mean i pretty much have to if im not mistaken."
yes....that's what I did on my swap - I guess you could get away w/just running wires for the PES as the WG could be wired under the dash to the 'dropping res.", but I prefer to do it 'like stock' in case you needed them all together.
I actually needed up update with the solution!

The harness that runs from the fuse box for the intake manifold in the drivers kick panel has 2 wires different from the turbo harness

The pressure exchange solenoid and wastegate solenoid wires for whatever reason are pinned on the big grey connector and then loop over to the ecu, the wires are only about 10 inches long. That big grey connector goes into a junction or distribution block or something, i dont know why they didnt run those two wires with everything else above the trans in the firewall but its an easy solution. I have pictures of the pin locations i need to post but for people doing a seap that dont have both harnesses two wires can be pinned at the ecu connector and that grey connector easily
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Good fix, but for the future questions it would've been nice for us to know this was an N/A harness converted for Turbo use. Many of us old-timers here know about the differences between the turbo and N/A harnesses and would've been able to point you in the right direction right off the bat.
Imprezafan93
First Gear

Post by Imprezafan93 »

Alphius wrote:Good fix, but for the future questions it would've been nice for us to know this was an N/A harness converted for Turbo use. Many of us old-timers here know about the differences between the turbo and N/A harnesses and would've been able to point you in the right direction right off the bat.
Right but there was no n/a to turbo convwrsion, i swapped over the whole primary harness that has 3/4 ecu connectors, the n/a portion of the harness i didnt believe had any difference seeing as they are essentially thr same harness as turbo, but i agree, had i mentioned that the fuse box harness was the oem n/a that may have helped a bunch. Another example of why it is so hard to troubleshoot others' cars online when not given thorough background
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yeah, exactly. Glad you got it figured out.