Ignitor wiring help

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Ignitor wiring help

Post by pabst90-ix »

So i am working on wiring in my ej20k into my legacy, which had an ej20g. The previous owner did some sort of cop conversion and removed the ignitor. My question is since i am going to be swapping the ej20g robtuned ecu how should i go about rewiring this to work with the 20ks coilpack? I would go ahead and just keep the COPs but the problem is that the ones i have do not reach the plugs. Are there other COPs i could use? i really would rather not have to drop a few hundred on them if it could be just a couple of hours rewiring.

The first picture is a close up of the wiring for the cops

This is a picture of the whole ignition harness showing the COPs as well

Here is a picture of the cop

I am at the mercy of you guys for help right now, i really dont have any idea what i need to or should do. I figured this would be an easy thing since the ej22 and the 20k are both wasted spark and have coil packs. Anyways lucky for me all of my gaskets and seals just arrived so im going to work on that while i await a response.

Also i guess since im creating a thread, could anyone tell me if i can interchange any of the sensors off the ej20k with the 20g harness? i would rather not have to buy new 20g sensors since the ones on the k seem to be in perfect shape.

Thanks in advance guys
mike-tracy

Re: Ignitor wiring help

Post by mike-tracy »

If you swap to the ej20g intake manifold and ej20g sensors, and keep the ej20g ecu, then you don't have to do any wiring at all.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Thanls Mike, but then how much do a set of cops cost that will fit onto the ej20k run? They have to be about an inch longer. Which is why i was thinking it may be better to just do the wiring. But i dont know im really a loss here right now
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The US ej205 based WRX (2002-2005) are a direct swap, so whatever you can get those for. I'm actually surprised the ones you pictured don't fit, they appear to be 02-05 wrx. Perhaps the rubber boot is changed with a different model.

By maintaining ej20g electronics, you have the benefit of a stronger ignition system, and have Robtune as an option for your upgrade path. No robtune for ej20k, and their ecu's don't run as well on US gas since they are tuned for higher octane.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

I already installed the ecu and was begining the ignition converter when i realized the issue. Because i was going to go with the plan you outlined for me in the other thread. Electrical just isnt my forte, im a total newbie with it. But i want to learn and do it myself because its my car you know? Thanks for all the help Mike
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I talk to so many people I can't remember which thread is which anymore, so I apologize ;)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I reread the other thread just now. Looks like you have ej255 or ej257 coil packs, and all you need is ej205 coil packs. The lengths of the boots is different between the ej25 and ej20 coils, otherwise they are pretty much the same. The ej20 coils have longer boots.

Alternately, if you wish to undo the coil on plug and go back to wasted spark, you'd have to basically do this in reverse:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=53990
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I would highly recommend you reuse your alternator and AC (if applicable) because it already works with the car's electrical harness. The powersteering pump is a toss up. Supposedly the ej20k one is a little better, but I'm not sure you'd notice anything on a 25 year old car, unless the old one is bad.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I was thinking about it, while the ej25 turbo coil packs are shorter, their spark plugs are longer as well. I wouldn't recommend it as a long term solution, but I'll bet you could use the same type plugs as your ej20g was running with those coils.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Thanks i found a set of ej205 coils that im picking up later today and i have mine to make sure theyre the correct size. I Appreciate your assistance mike