STi Turbo

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GotSubie
First Gear

STi Turbo

Post by GotSubie »

i have the opertuinity to buy a turbo and injecters out of a STI for $325. Now my question is how much fabrication will it take to make it work with my 91 legacy ss with a ej20g? Is it worth it? Who all have done it did it? Did it make an extensive increase in hp?
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

o man. that is a STEAL dood! AND YOU HAVE AN EJ20G IN THERE?? its going to be easy as hell to install. you can plumb the intake under the intake manifold, like the wrx's and STi's. you may even be able to use one of those cool silicone intakes that work on those wrx's and STi's.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

ya im getting it from a guy that swaped out for a biger turbo so its pretty much brand new, the housing is not cracked and there is no shaft play he just wants to get rid of it so hopefully it will work out. ya i bought the car with a ej22t that was blown and i found the ej20g for five hundred that has 20,000 miles on it so im in th middle of swaping that in right now. huh what r you talking about "you may even be able to use one of those cool silicone intakes that work on those wrx's and STi's" please explain.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

you can use this most likely:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Silicone ... enameZWDVW

so you dont have to use the resonator box crap. thats not a for sure answer, but it may work.

that turbo and injectors would greatly improve your power. im not sure what else you would have to do with it though, meaning tuning. you might have to adjust for the injectors down low, as it might run a little too rich at idle.

o yea one other thing i forgot to mention, you may have to switch fuel rails, as im not sure if those STi injectors will just drop right in. but hey, a vf39 AND STi injectors for $325, thats a crazy deal. usually you can only get the turbo for around that much. those injectors are probably about $400 normally. i think.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Wait, I don't think you actually can run an under-the-manifold intake with an EJ20G manifold.

But, the EJ20G intake manifold does provide a good deal more room for the compressor inlet than the EJ22T's, so you would have a fairly easy time adapting the inlet to make it 90-degree like stock.

$325 is a great deal for the STi injectors and turbo if they're in good shape.

Make sure you understand what upgrading the turbo means and requires, and make sure you understand how those injectors can be used in your car, if they can at all. Searching these forums and spending time reading will help a lot.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

well im actually running an ej22t manafold with the ej20g block so would that be a problem.
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

how are you running the ej22t manifold on the ej20g block? you are using the ej22t heads as well then? thats the same setup in my legacy. if this is your setup, then yea it will be different. you will have to make a 90 degree inlet for the turbo, like vrg3 said.

vrg3, the under intake manifold plumbing has been done, frantic four does it all the time. they bought 3 ej20g's. at least, i believe thats what they did.
brando
First Gear

Re: STi Turbo

Post by brando »

GotSubie wrote:i have the opertuinity to buy a turbo and injecters out of a STI for $325. Now my question is how much fabrication will it take to make it work with my 91 legacy ss with a ej20g? Is it worth it? Who all have done it did it? Did it make an extensive increase in hp?
Are you from Vancouver? Are you Dustin's friend? I have a 3in down pipe if you want it. Let me know
1998 GT
1994 GT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Project_Legacy - Oh, huh. I did not think the EJ20G intake manifold had the room. I seem to remember seeing guys on the RS Liberty forums having to modify late-model turbos' compressor inlets to fit their EJ20G-powered cars.

But you may know better than I do; I've never seen an EJ20G in person.

GotSubie - Oh, in that case you'll have to modify the compressor inlet. The way I would suggest doing it would be to remove the compressor housing and then figure out a way to attach the stock turbo's compressor inlet elbow to it. I would imagine you could cut the inlet down a little and then somehow attach studs to the housing to hold the elbow. Or you could do what azn2nr and magicmike did, fabricating little elbows that are shaped so as to clear the intake manifold.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

vrg3, i think that is how they were able to do it. i have bad memory, so i may be thinking about a different manifold. i can ask them tomorrow when i go there.

also, ill ask them about what they did to put one of those turbos on the ej22t manifold. they did a set up with that.
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

ya sorry i forgot to mention the im running the ej22t heads on the ej20g block so i geuss we have the same set up kinda. how do you like yours? well i geuss i could talk to frantic four about how they did there set up and how the got around the commpressor inlet because i saw that u mentiond the they do it all the time so thanks ill get back to you guys soon.

late
jason
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

well, ive seen it done on one of the cars they did there. im sure they can come up with another set up for you. are you around this area?

about my car, it is ok. i have SS headers, underdrive crank pulley, MBC, stage 1 exedy, and i think that is it on it. it seems sluggish. i dont think i can pull a mid 15 with it. probably more like mid 16. lol. i think its just my set up though. the SS headers arent too good unless they are coated or something.
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

Well the thing is i live in vancouver so i would have to pick a weekend and come up so thats kinda hard with work. Im just going to learn how to drive the car first and get used to the turbo because this being my first turbo car im kinda unexperienced. I will def try to make it up there soon tho.

Thats sweet what are some future plans for it.

lata
Jason
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

vrg3 wrote:Project_Legacy - Oh, huh. I did not think the EJ20G intake manifold had the room. I seem to remember seeing guys on the RS Liberty forums having to modify late-model turbos' compressor inlets to fit their EJ20G-powered cars.

Eric at FF did put a vf39 on his 93 turbo legacy with an under the intake manifold inlet, but there was ALOT of customization involved in that. he replace all the hardlines in that area of the manifold with rubber lines, he used the inlet tube off of some sort of audi (metal), moved a bunch of little shit i dont remember also. he's only done this one time, but he transfered the setup off of his car to the impreza wagon with a turbo legacy drivetrain he built. he'll probably read this and go more in depth with it and explain what he had to do (if he remembers)... the setup worked really well and the impreza wagon he built is nothing short of amazing :twisted:
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Wait, Jake . . so this was with the 22T manifold?

What about using an EJ20T or EJ257 intake manifold. This would aleviate many of the issues, right? I mean, swapping all the hardlines, etc would be part of that swap . . . but that would pretty much turn the top of the engine to what's considered a "current" configuration so the VF39 would be an easy addition, right?
"Power is NOTHING without control"
1994 & 2005 Legacy GT Wagons
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

Yukonart wrote:Wait, Jake . . so this was with the 22T manifold?

What about using an EJ20T or EJ257 intake manifold. This would aleviate many of the issues, right? I mean, swapping all the hardlines, etc would be part of that swap . . . but that would pretty much turn the top of the engine to what's considered a "current" configuration so the VF39 would be an easy addition, right?
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

if those manifolds bolt up to the heads, then id say yes. it would make it so that you could use the under manifold intake, i believe.
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

no one cares about my genuine EJ20G...
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

y do you say that?
Imprezive
Fourth Gear

Post by Imprezive »

vrg3 wrote:Project_Legacy - Oh, huh. I did not think the EJ20G intake manifold had the room. I seem to remember seeing guys on the RS Liberty forums having to modify late-model turbos' compressor inlets to fit their EJ20G-powered cars.

GotSubie - Oh, in that case you'll have to modify the compressor inlet. The way I would suggest doing it would be to remove the compressor housing and then figure out a way to attach the stock turbo's compressor inlet elbow to it. I would imagine you could cut the inlet down a little and then somehow attach studs to the housing to hold the elbow. Or you could do what azn2nr and magicmike did, fabricating little elbows that are shaped so as to clear the intake manifold.
I have a VF10 on my EJ20G, there is a rubber hose that attatchs to the bottom of the throttle body, this is what my main problem was. I tried welding up some 2.25" ID pipe to make a moderatly smooth 90 degree angle but that didnt work, I ended up pounding a dent in it with a ball-peen hammer and rewelding it where it cracked. But that was to get a pipe to fit up to my Saab IC, if you are using a saab IC you'd probably be better off buying a 90 degreed elbow (like this maybe: http://www.atpturbo.com/Merchant2/merch ... e=SIL-90EL ) and then get a peice of pipe to travel from the end of the 90 degreed silicon couple to the intercooler intlet.

Although if you plan on using a wrx TMIC then things might be different, I'm not exactly sure how it will fit up, I'll be able to tell you by next week when I put mine on. so you do or dont have a full ej20g?? What ECU are you running, I can tell you right now if you are going to use the stock EJ22T ecu dont expect much more power than stock. I'm switching to a liberty rs ECU in a few weeks.
1992 T-Leg = 195whp 197wtq SOLD :(
1988 4Runner RIP
2006 Suzuki DRZ400sm
2007 Miata
1994 Miata
2003 WRX Wagon
2016 Mazda 3
franticfour
In Neutral

Post by franticfour »

I can tell you right now if you are going to use the stock EJ22T ecu dont expect much more power than stock. I'm switching to a liberty rs ECU in a few weeks.[/quote]

Well that statement seems like more misinformation thanks to the ole internet :P

We ran a 2.2t stroked to 2.34 with 20g heads and manifold
(440 injectors) and vf39 turbo and thick BPM TMIC at 16lbs and didn't tune ANY (stock turbo legacy ECU)!!!
This is the Impreza conversion Jake is talking about a few posts ^^

That thing pulls smooth and HARD.
EGT's and wide band AFR look great.
I ran a simular setup in a 93 Legacy (2.2 not stroked) for over a year and won a few rallycross overall (didn't baby it ever) with no problems.
I Took it to the emissions test and passed easy with 3" open exahust.

I still don't see a need for more tunning unless you're goal is over 16lbs quality boost. ( that was pushing through 2340cc's)

I did it, it worked.

Eric
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

alrite first off this is what i will be running the vf39 on because i think there has been some confusion. I have an ej20g block with ej22t heads and manafold. Now that is what i have to work with. The injectors i want to run are off a stock Sti. i have a few questions tho. 1. this is to Frantic four. What does this mean"We ran a 2.2t stroked to 2.34". 2. Would it would be eazyer to use a fmic rather than using a tmic? yea i know that i dont know alot but the point of these fourm is to learn right!
franticfour
In Neutral

Post by franticfour »

I think you'd have better luck with the 20G injectors (I've got some) because they are not too big for the stock ECU to adjust for.
or set up with perfect power or e-manage to be able to pull timing and fuel (STi injectors).

Are the STi injectors you have yellow side feed?

Your block/head combo will be higher compression than optimal without some timing retard on boost (I'd like to mess with this combo more to know the limits for sure but always busy.
You should try and build this with bigger heads.
Anything DOHC or 2.5 SOHC.
TMIC is still my choice for up to 17lbs boost.

I'll try and post some pictures of the under Intake manifold intake and TMIC install or some with 90 turbo intake.
It's not as easy as a 90 off the turbo and probably could be done with 2.2t by remounting the purge solenoid and cutting the alloy mount off. Uses USDM WRX powersteer resevoir & pump fitting and like Jake said Audi 200 thin steel tube.
I haven't actually routed under a 2.2t yet (actually looks like more room?) as the heads / IAC / PCV ect. don't lend themselves to Upgrades.

Rally On! Eric
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

so what your saying is that impressive is right about running the sti injectors with the stock ECU wont work because it just cant compensaste witht the bigger a/f ratio that the injectors need. so if im gonna run the sti injectors i would have to go with an aftermarket ECU like the perfect power or e-manage like you sugessted? now whats with the head issue y would i need bigger heads if ur saying that i can run the 20g injectors?

yes pictures would be nice!

just by the way if im comming off like an ass about all the questions dont take it that way cuz i know you know a whole lot more about all of this than i do im just trying to understand.
GotSubie
First Gear

Post by GotSubie »

you guys should check out this thread theres a guy names anazar and he has givin three set ups that have worked for the vf39 on the ej20g with the ef22t heads and manafold its pretty interesting.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=23509