turbo oil feed screen filter?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mexicanzero
Second Gear

turbo oil feed screen filter?

Post by mexicanzero »

ok so i'm sure somewhere someone has posted about this but i cant seem to find anything
on the newerish foresters stis and bajas there was a recall for the screen filter in the banjo bolt that went into the head of the oil feed line to the turbo cuz it was causing turbo failure. on the deadbolt website they recommend taking it out completely when putting in one of their turbos.

my question is do our cars have these?
i just did a TD-04 swap due to what i think was bearing failure in the VF-11 (very loud high pitched scream) and a bent intake fin.
i know bearing failure can be caused by oil starvation but it seemed to be flowing great so i assumed it was just the 16 years of use on the turbo.

i'm just curious if we have these screen filters in the banjo bolt that screws into the head and if people are getting rid of it or is there a procedure for cleaning it?

thanks
-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I too am going to be installing a TD04 in my car. This is the first I've heard about this but I'd love to know more.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
SemperGuard
Second Gear

Post by SemperGuard »

They are only on EJ's with AVCS.
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

thats all i needed to know
thanks man
-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
helicoptermike
In Neutral

Re: turbo oil feed screen filter?

Post by helicoptermike »

I have a similar situation and I had a question for you guys I ordered on eBay for $17 a billet inline filter that the mesh screen comes in 30 micron and micron and 150 micron... does anybody know what the best choice would be? and also does anybody know what the mesh screen micron rating is that came in the banjo bolt that is caused so many people issues including myself? Thanks guys! ;) I'm new here by the way. First question... by the way I have 6 subarus and love them dearly. So it won't be my last question :)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I vote dont use the filter at all, just use a high quality oil fiter, synthetic oil and regular oil changes.. The inline or mesh filters collect debris which can and will starve the turbo of oil.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

mike-tracy wrote:I vote dont use the filter at all, just use a high quality oil fiter, synthetic oil and regular oil changes.. The inline or mesh filters collect debris which can and will starve the turbo of oil.
+1 from personal experience.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

cj91legss wrote:
mike-tracy wrote:I vote dont use the filter at all, just use a high quality oil fiter, synthetic oil and regular oil changes.. The inline or mesh filters collect debris which can and will starve the turbo of oil.
+1 from personal experience.

+2
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm