Turbo Upgrade for Me and Info for BBS

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

I've finished up my turbo swapping and here's an update:

- About 3 weeks ago, @ least one of 480cc injectors went bad. I had an extra set of 440s, which actually matches the current Revtronix chip I'm running.

- With the TD05H-16G, I was enjoying the top end- from 60-100 it was great- But otherwise still felt a bit soft on the bottom.
I didn't test it all the conditions suggested above, but IMHO the TD04 is going to work better in low RPM situations IF you're driving an Auto.

But with a 5-speed I'd keep the TD05!

-However, I think upgrading to a TD04, is likely not worth it (although it's usually a lot cheaper than any other upgrade path) since it requires fabbing up a 90 elbow for the turbo intake and doing something - an intercooler? - between the throttle body and turbo outlet......might as well throw on bigger turbo if you're going to the trouble - whether you have an Auto or a 5-speed.

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

have you done the power mode mod to the transmission?
as in you push a button and the trans goes into power mode and stays there until you push the button again?
a quarter throttle and it'll downshift when cruising at 50km/h
it makes the auto trans almost as fun as a manual i'm constantly over 3000rpm if not 4000rpm without even driving too aggressively.
honestly do this mod (took me about half an hour) and you will probably stick with the td-05 as the trans wants to stay in gear much much longer!!
i'd say that mod is one of if not the best mod i've done and i've completely redone my suspension and put in a td-04 and revtronix chip in!
i jumped the wire from the manual button on the shifter to the terminal on the tcu for power mode. so its completely stealth and free!!!
search power mode or something like that on the bbs

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

2003 silver wrx wagon 5 spd just bought!! stock for now...
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

mexicanzero wrote:have you done the power mode mod to the transmission?

-Alex
Alex,
Thanks for the reminder, but I read somewhere...maybe on an SVX site (?) that since my car is a '90 originally, I don't have the option....although I DO have the Power mode/lite.

And I now have a '93 Turbo 4EAT and T-TCU, so maybe I can?
EDIT:
I had a '91 T-4EAT and '91 T- TCU, but upgraded to a '93 T-TCU and it worked....see the Power Mode Sticky HERE.
Thanks,
Td
Last edited by wtdash on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

if you've got a 93 4eat and 93 tcu then you can! i didnt know that having a 1990 tcu mattered. all that matters is the tcu. you just have to ground a pin than has nothing in it. put a switch inline and then you have your power mode button.
honestly it'll be the best half hour you'll ever spend modding your car!
-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

1992 Subaru Legacy SS 06 WRX TMIC TD-04 MSD coil 3" turboback H&R coils GR2 shocks fsb 20mm rsb 22mm stage 2 chip

mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

when you floor it all of a sudden does the power light come on in the dash?
if not then its possible theres no wires going from the tcu to the power light. buut grounding the power mode pin on the tcu will still put the transmission into power mode. the light actually gets kind of annoying anyways so that would be better.
-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

how does the TD04 handle the boost at the higher rmp ranges. im looking at the stage 2 revtronix chip and i don't know what turbo to do.i would like the 39 but like i read, it is not rebuildible. if i do alot of mountain driving, 75mph, 5th gear, 3Krpm, what turbo is for me?
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-83 gl wagon...350,000mi custom dents
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

muuuuuch better than the stock turbo. i was surprised at how much better it did high rpms. power doesnt just drop off it keeps climbing i'd say til 6000 rpms. i'm constantly getting up to 6000rpm and i never feel like i should be in the next gear.
and it'll hold the power modes 17 psi all the way through whereas the stocker would drop from 15 to almost 10 sometimes by redline. best part is this increased power has just as little lag as the stocker so its great at low rpm and at 3000rpm it really wakes up.
i'd say for the price put the td-04 and 06 wrx tmic (can be had for 100$ together) on for now and if its not enough upgrade to a bigger laggyer more expensive turbo later.
but beleive me the td-04 with the chip is plenty fun!
i beat a supercharged grand prix the other day, he was on the right lane and it ended and he tried to get infront of me, those cars have 260 horse and they arent thaat much heavyer.

-Alex

p.s. hope i hepled some, my daughter woke me up at 6 am so i had nothing better to do than post my 2 cents.
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

cool i think that is what im going to do( the to04, revtronix stage 2, 06 wrx tmic) and the last question i have is if i run the tmic do i also need the same y-pipe piece off the 06 to make the intercooler work?
-91ss, 250,000mi rebuilt, tmic, tdo4, agx's w/groundcontrol, f/r strut bars, rust
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

race_to_live wrote:...if i run the tmic do i also need the same y-pipe piece off the 06 to make the intercooler work?
This was recently covered HERE and on other posts under the Intercooling category.

Short answer is 'Yes, but it's not plug-n-play'.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

mexicanzero wrote: i'm constantly getting up to 6000rpm and i never feel like i should be in the next gear.
and it'll hold the power modes 17 psi all the way through whereas the stocker would drop from 15 to almost 10 sometimes by redline. .....
Alex,
Got the Power Mode switch working..thanks again for the reminder.

Also, have you maxed out 4th/OD on your 4EAT? I hit a wall @ 115mph the other day...the car still boosting @ 15+, RPMS about 4200 RPM, but I wasn't accelerating anymore and the RPMs weren't climbing....everything seemed to be working - I just wasn't going any faster.

Thanks,
td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

115mph holy crap! no i've never maxed 4th but our cars are electronically limited to a max of 115 ish mph arent they? thats what i thought at least.
good job on the power mode switch, liking it?

and for the intercooler y pipe the stock one does work if you hack it up a bit but i had issues with it popping off so i got a aluminum y pipe for an 04 tmic and it works but i had to modify it a bit to fit on an 06 tmic
from what i've seen get a silicone y pipe they're the easiest to make fit.

-Alex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

first off, im sorry guys, im not real good with fourms.

wt,
did you use a silicone 90deg for the intake on the TD04L since it doesn't have a 90deg inlet like the JDM one does? the reason i ask is because im going to buy a 02 hoodscoop tomorrow and the guy also has a Td04 that he will sell me.
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

race_to_live wrote:first off, im sorry guys, im not real good with fourms.

wt,
did you use a silicone 90deg for the intake on the TD04L since it doesn't have a 90deg inlet like the JDM one does? the reason i ask is because im going to buy a 02 hoodscoop tomorrow and the guy also has a Td04 that he will sell me.
I had an extra 90 rubber from my collection of parts, not silicone though. You'll definitely need a 90, plus a small piece of pipe to connect to the stock Legacy intake piece. Don't pay too much for the TD04. The TD04L's cost depends on miles, but you can get them on 'nasioc.com' for $125 w/less than 50K miles, as a reference. Here's ONE and HERE (scroll down).

Also, how much you paying for the scoop?

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
race_to_live
First Gear

Post by race_to_live »

well the scoop and the trubo im going to buy for $150. the scoop is nice and the turbo has 40k miles on it. i will have to look for shaft play but i think for $150 it is worth looking at.
-62 honda 55, (moped)
-74 Yamaha rd 350
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

These cars are not electronically limited. I had mine up to 120+ back when it was FWD 4EAT.

Todd, sounds like you just ran out of HP to overcome the wind drag.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Legacy777 wrote: Todd, sounds like you just ran out of HP to overcome the wind drag.
Geez, that's what I want to hear. :(

EDIT:
According to the LCBBS' own LIBRARY top speed is ~130MPH stock.

I'm sure I'm making more than stock HP, so gotta be something else. :?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Not sure what to say....could be tranny related.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

yeah right we can do 130? i'll probably never get close to that, i'm a pussy cant loose my car to the cops...
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

I've had mine up around 140-ish... My buddy in his late model Camaro with a 383 went WAY beyond that, but said I was doing pretty good up till 120... It was super chilly that day too, since I dont have a chip... I've just got pink top injectors, 2002 WRX Intercooler and the TDO4... but stock computer... *it doesn't have issues below 40'F, but anything warmer, it runs super rich and bogs... I can't wait to see what that Revtronix Stg2 chip does to my tune! :P
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

asc_up wrote:
A VF39 does ;)

Has the spool of a TD04, but a lot of top end like the TD05.

My 'musical turbos' continues.....

Got a low mile (but still has the WG crack) VF39 (STi).

I think I've found the turbo I'm gonna stick w/for awhile! :-)

ASC_UP is right about its spool, but I also have the 'power mode switch' mod, so that may be helping.

Used the VF11's upper (to the tank), and the VF39's lower (to the head) coolant line, and the oil line was a tight fit, but everything else worked OK.

Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

the vf39 is nice ain't she? With using a flexible rubber hose as the 90* inlet I'd be worried it might collapse and choke the car. Especially once it gets nice and warm and pliable from the engine heat... ever run into that?
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
mexicanzero
Second Gear

Post by mexicanzero »

yeah i've decided i want a vf-39 now too. i've heardabout people putting the wrx p/s pump reservoir on the ej22 p/s pump and then being able to run the through the intake piping

whadayathink?
-ALex
LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I bought a blown out vf39 super cheap and had a well-Known turbo shop out east rebuild it and weld on a 90* for our fittment.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

biggreen96 wrote: With using a flexible rubber hose as the 90* inlet I'd be worried it might collapse and choke the car. Especially once it gets nice and warm and pliable from the engine heat... ever run into that?
On mine I have it clamped to the turbo and then a metal pipe is fed down into the tube from the top so it doesn't really leave enough room for it to collapse on itself.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

I remember the name of the turbo place now. Deadbolt turbo. They fixed my vf39 for a good price and also welded on an elbow.