td04 with TMIC install

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Subiman91ss
First Gear

td04 with TMIC install

Post by Subiman91ss »

i just ordered a td04L from a 03wrx and I ordered a outback TMIC with y pipe... I have a blow off valve coming.

Im a auto-mechanic so the work is easy, Im looking for things that I will need to get and things that might cause headaches..

I know about the intake 90 and im going to build my own custom intake tube..

Will I need to change anything else for this to work..... I have a 91ss sedan
Last edited by Subiman91ss on Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
91ss sdn 5spd
taking the time to do it right = stress free fun
vrg3
Vikash

Re: td04 with TMIC install

Post by vrg3 »

You'll have to do a little work rerouting PCV lines. Just keep some 5/8" and 1/2" heater hose and barbed fittings around. You can see what the stock PCV system looks like here: http://surrealmirage.com/vrg3/vacuum/
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

thanks.. you seem to be the one that know the most... what all do i do to run 10-15 psi when im done.... i would like to be able to change it for the track(15psi) and the road(10psi).. but ten all the time would be nice..
91ss sdn 5spd
martimus919
First Gear

Post by martimus919 »

What Y-pipe are you using? You're not going to be able to use the stock y-pipe. You can use a cheap ebay y-pipe that is advertised for 02-07. It's really for the 02-05 but you can stretch the connecting hose to make it fit.
07 Outback XT VF52
94 Legacy Sport, VF23, 550 RobTune, various other things
93 Legacy Touring Wagon EJ205 management and dash swap (in progress)
90 Loyale Turbo, EJ Turbo Swap, 2" lift
82 Brat, EJ22 swap, RX AWD trans w/ LSD rear, 5 lug 4 wheel disc.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

If your fuel pump is healthy, you shouldn't need to do any other modifications to run 10 psi on a TD04 with the Forester intercooler; just get or make a boost controller and you'll be set.

15 psi may be pushing it with the stock engine management though. And if you have a stock exhaust, it may not really be worth it. If you have the ability to run my scantool you can watch to see if/when you start to max out the MAF sensor and/or injectors.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

thats good info vrg3... i just read the fcd post, it is very helpfull to know the fuel cut off..

What should i use for a downpipe? what is the easiest way to do the mbc?
91ss sdn 5spd
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Oh yeah, duh, you definitely need an FCD to run 15 psi too.

There are lots of downpipe options, but most of them require other exhaust modifications to fit right since they're intended for the bugeye-and-later WRX. If you want one that just fits, look for one intended for a 93-96 WRX.

If you want to build a manual boost controller, a bleed-type controller is a little easier to build than a ball-and-spring controller, but they're both fairly easy to make (I describe some of it in this post, and there's also the "Grainger valve"). Or just buy one. Either way, it's easy to install; it just gets plumbed between the compressor outlet and the wastegate actuator.
Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

that MBC seems easy.. which should i do for mt driving alot?

as for down pipes.. 93-96 wrx? never heard of it and i thought the turbos didnt come back to the states tell 02.
i will admit im new but im under the impression that 95-02 had no turbo subarus in the states..

Im in need of more history info on these...
91ss sdn 5spd
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Do whichever you feel like. As you spend more time on this board you'll learn that each of us does things our own way, and a lot of the fun of modifying these cars comes from learning and discovering on your own.

Yes, there were no 93-96 WRXes in the US.
Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

will the stock ecu be ok?
91ss sdn 5spd
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

vrg3 wrote:You'll have to do a little work rerouting PCV lines. Just keep some 5/8" and 1/2" heater hose and barbed fittings around. You can see what the stock PCV system looks like here: http://surrealmirage.com/vrg3/vacuum/

I'd suggest picking up some emissions hose for the PCV rerouting. The heater hose will degrade over time. The hose on rockauto is pretty reasonably priced.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=47500&
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

bowtieman72 wrote:will the stock ecu be ok?
You should be ok with the stock ECU. It really depends on each engine's specific modifications. Maxing out the flow of the stock MAF sensor will cause the injectors to go static, and at that point, you really lose control of precise fueling. Boost is not necessarily a good indicator of flow. A free flowing engine, intake, and exhaust will allow more flow and cause the MAF to max out at a lower air flow vs. a more restrictive engine, intake, exhaust.

You should be fine at 10 psi, and should likely be fine at 15 as well. As Vikash mentioned, you can use his scan tool to monitor things to see what the MAF and injectors are doing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

what happens when you max out the maf? what will it casue the engine to do.
91ss sdn 5spd
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

When the MAF maxes out, the injectors go static flow, essentially 100% duty cycle. So you may or may not be getting enough fuel, which is why a wide band O2 sensor is very important to have. You might be too rich, but unfortunately that's how the ECU is programmed and you essentually lose control of fine AFR adjustment. People have played with fuel pressure as a means to control flow....and it works very crudely, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

I currently got my tdo4 swap done and i would recommend reading alot of the threads they have on here there have been a lot of people that have done it and i took the parts i liked from other peoples post and combined it all togeather. In my case i kept the factory bov and was able to have a friend who knows how to write programs and run a lazer cutter and cut me out some adapter plates for the bov stock location then plumped in the piping to the factory 90 elbow. I would say that your going to have better luck getting a downpipe off a turboed wrx 02 up to 08 even and modifying it or taking it to a shop to modify it to fit which is what i ended up doing or maybe cruse the parts shed see whats out there. On factory ecu i dont think you will be able to run 15psi im running 11.5 in mine and i notice that i dont hit fuel cut at that point but i should get a wide band and see were im at
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
Thesubielover
Third Gear

Post by Thesubielover »

FCD?
93ss 3inch tbe, Hallman mbc,06 wrx td04, tmic, bov, bugeye seatsStolen x2, sold
93ss Stroker,440cc inj, VF39, '06 TMIC, EJ20G heads & intake, EJ25 crank, 4.11Traded
93ss 4eat, coils, stanced, wraped, flat black, stock show car
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

fuel cut defender

This thread has a bunch of common abbreviations/acronyms

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=26801
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

well I finally have all my parts and hosing for a custom intake. Got a catless 3" down pipe for 02-05 wrx, going to build the rest of the exhaust.. Im a fabricator bye trade and Im going to build the adapter plate for my blow off valve and all the TMIC brackets. Im also moving the coolant tank to clear the TMIC I have, its a 05ish outback/forester(wider and shorter then wrx)

Im only going to run 12psi, so Im not going to run a FCD. Fuel cut comes in at 13 factory and the MAF maxes out around there so I feel ok running 12. I will do a full build later on to run more.

I going to be doing this soon and have a camera finally so I can document this.. I will post the pics when I can
91ss sdn 5spd
crisco
First Gear

Post by crisco »

i recently did the TD04 and TMIC install and i was just about to install the MBC and FCD when i broke the trans. :(

but it was fun while it lasted and soon enough i will get it back on the road.
--- crisco --- 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero---
Subiman91ss
First Gear

Post by Subiman91ss »

sad day crisco.. sorry to hear that. how much boost are you running? what happened to your trans?
91ss sdn 5spd
dillonr92
First Gear

Post by dillonr92 »

I am going to be doing the tdo4 tmic install soon., i just wanted to make sure i had the right supporting mods and what else id need., i have a 255 FP installed,
a diamond coil pack installed,
coffe cup mod,
desnorked,
Boost gauge,
Relocated coolant res,
bpv plate, and use the stock BPV,
Ive got a 3"coupler,
i need a 90° inlet (anyone have sizes for the 90 i will need)
And i have a welded y pipe im waiting to see if it will work.,
What gaskets do i get a downpipe one and a uppipe one,,( i assume id order gaskets for a 02+wrx)

Will stock injectors and MAF be ok to use for 10 to 11 psi?.,

Would i benifit from putting the plastic jecs MAF on?.,
92 SS winestone red. td04 - FMIC. RWD 5 spd swap/LSD.dead...
94 LEGACY GT RAISED ROOF WAGON, fozzy lift hydro clutch/91SS 5speed/VLSD..#5.NEW FuLL DRiFT SLuT 93SS winestone,RS 5speed RWD. Welded rear, td04, fmic, 17x9 +20
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The exhaust gaskets are the same between the WRX's that have the TD04 and the turbo legacy.

You should be ok with 10-11 psi on the stock injectors, but it would also be a good idea to invest in a wideband O2 sensor.

No, you can't put a JECS MAF on without some kind of different engine management.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT