td04 = horrible MPG's?

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

DougFresh
First Gear

Re: td04 = horrible MPG's?

Post by DougFresh »

Legacy777 wrote:Agreed, the Robtune, just doesn't allow you the infinite amount of flexibility a stand alone offers you. If that's what you want....then yes, definitely go with a stand alone. As I have found....sometimes that infinite amount of flexibility and tunability isn't all it's cracked up to be.

The rods are forged, the pistons are not. However I wouldn't suggest upgrading to forged pistons and keeping the stock rods. They work fine, but are far from what the aftermarket forged rods will be.

Yes, the stock turbo Legacy final drive ratio is 3.9.

awesome. thank you for your input.

Thank you every one for the discussion. (i hope i didnt come across trying to sounds like a know it all) because i definitely do not know it all. we are all constantly learning.

I appreciate all of your insight ! I learned a few things from this.
DougFresh
First Gear

Post by DougFresh »

and my build changes every day for what i want to do to my car. haha i am always brain storming for what combo is going to be best.

i know what power range i want to be at..... but every time i settle with the set up i would like; i see what else i can buy for that amount and change my mind. lmao
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Welcome to the car world. Make up your mind, then you see something you just gotta have :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm actually dealing with this very issue at work ;) At some point you have to set your scope or boundaries and move forward with a plan. If you keep changing the plan, you'll never move anywhere or even get started. Using constraints like cost help reel in some of the more outlandish ideas to reality, and can help you better define your goals.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
DougFresh
First Gear

Post by DougFresh »

1st will be to finish paying off some debt, then park the car. :) those are the first things that need to happen :)
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Post by BoneIslandScooby »

Alphius wrote:I know this isn't relevant to your question, but...
Don't do this! Your car will run poorly! It might be faster than it is now, but it will be nowhere near its capability and it will be poor to drive anywhere but full throttle and it will be at much more risk of catastrophic failure.

Best setup for cheap, reliable power on one of these cars (I post this whenever someone asks about power upgrades):
RobTuned EJ20G ECU
550cc STI injectors
JECS (green label plastic) MAF
VF39 or TD05-16g turbo
06-07 WRX intercooler w/recirc BPV
Boost Controller at 17psi
Free-flowing exhaust
Stock intake with de-snorkel and coffee cup mod

Done. This will make about 220-230 AWHP on a bone stock EJ22T safely. Any more than that and you are looking at standalone ECU and tossing the MAF.

As far as the transmission goes, if you get the TransGo shiftkit it should last a little longer, and if it is already in good shape it should last pretty well with that power level. Just don't abuse it. Same advice I would give for someone with a 5MT.
220 - 230 AWHP - I'm not sure if you are quoting this power level at the wheels or at the crank. If it's at the wheels, that's plenty of power. What sort of MPG could you expect out of this setup? Must the exhaust system be 3" all the way back for everything to work nicely together? What, if anything, would change if you use an electronic boost controller? What, if anything, would change if you used an AWIC setup, instead of the 06-07 TMIC? Could a piggy back be used simply to provide an alternate map while using the Rob Tune Settings as a base map? BTW, don't feel you need to water down the answer so that I understand. I will understand just fine. I know the popular sentiment about piggy backs, but want to know if they have any value in the right setup. In this case, I'm thinking that the above setup is the best all around tune for every day. Meanwhile, I would like to see if it would be possible to run a higher boost map with the piggy back dialing in methanol injection and/or an extra fuel injector, and also an economy map, dialing down boost and possibly allowing using regular fuel for inexpensive around town driving. Rob tune base map would be for autocross, high boost for the occasional dragstrip run, and economy mode for around town.