CEL came on, fuel cut with any boost

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

beaconhillkilla
First Gear

CEL came on, fuel cut with any boost

Post by beaconhillkilla »

This used to happen periodically, but while I was driving yesterday it started up again for good it seems. CEL came on, and as soon as the turbo started to spool up the car would cut off. I replaced the MAF in the past, because that used to give me issues, but it didn't seem to be that. I believe its a boost issue because:

-At idle the motor will rev to redline without any issues
-You can drive and steadily go faster so long as its gradual and the turbo doesn't spool
-The car idles, runs and drives with the wastegate disconnected (clip removed that holds the arm to the gate so it's always open)

I have a td04 with a fmic setup, and everything worked just fine prior to last night (and it's been about 7 - 8 months since i've done any major car work). I pulled the codes, and this is what I have (Some of these are saved, I couldn't get all of them to go away when clearing all the codes)

13 - Cam sensor, This is old. I had to rewire mine a while back

22 - Knock sensor, I need a new one. This has been happening for a while.

23 - MAF, I replaced the old one with another old one. It works, new ones are expensive. But this is another old code that still pops up from time to time

33 - Speed Sensor, Mine broke a while back and I had to replace it

42 - Idle switch, pretty sure this is new. How would I go about changing this?

45 - Pressure exchange solenoid, this is new and i'm pretty sure this is the culprit.

Well in writing this up I think I've answered my own question and I know what I need to fix. I'm going to locate both the pressure exchange solenoid and the pressure sensor and try and replace them and see what happens. I might just get a knock sensor too while i'm at it. But, any ideas anyone as to anything else I should try?
1992 Legacy SS - Auto to 5MT swap and too much of my free time.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CEL came on, fuel cut with any boost

Post by Legacy777 »

I would suggest running the active code check (green plugs only) to see what comes up.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Have you checked the vacuum line going to the MAP sensor? If that guy split or popped off it will do that to you.

I'm guessing the pressure exchange solenoid could be the culprit too, but its odd that a new one would go bad so soon.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

I was referring to the code being new not the part haha sorry.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

Oh well then yeah I think that ones your problem lol. But the active check like Josh mentioned is still a good idea.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

I have been having the same issue and code. Here's a link to a very similar issue. Seems the ecu was the blame in this instance. Let me know what you find out, I could use some help too.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=32015

Best of luck
1993 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon....TD04, TMIC, HkS BOV, coffee can, De-snork, TB Exhaust, VLSD, MSD Coil, Walbro 255, Fresh Paint, WRX 16's, WRX Suspension, New Brakes....soon Robtune...
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

I had the problem a while back but wayyy worse haha. Ended up being. A wiring issue/relay which controlled all my boost sensors going out
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Yep, get that system functional again and your problem will go away.
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Just got a chance to go through and put it into d-check mode. While I was waiting for the car to warm up, I popped the hood to just take a glance at things....

The main line that goes from the intake manifold, to the T-connector, to the pressure regulator and sensor had broken in half. So I fitted a new hose, clamped it, and fired it up..CEL went out. I also just cleared all of my codes the proper way for the first time and rechecked everything. NO CEL AT ALL. Which means that all of my old defunct codes are gone as well 8) . I feel like a fool for not checking the engine bay first..but hey this is what DIY car work is all about. Thanks everyone! Legacy Central > NASIOC
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Good to hear you got it figured out!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sof220
In Neutral

Post by sof220 »

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm having the same issues except with no CEL. I connected the green connectors and nothing came up, when I connect the black ones, the same codes as OPs came up. I reset the ecu by connecting both connectors and driving around and it cleared but I still have no boost at all.

Little history on the car, bought it with a blown motor, it was misfiring and no boost.
Replaced the engine with a rebuilt one with a TD04 and TMIC, same problem, it doesn't misfire but it drives the same as it did with the previous engine. I installed a MBC and that didn't work, installed an Electronic one and still the same problem. It runs and drives but when I give it throttle it goes nowhere. I ran it with only the wastegate pressure, it pulled but still slow. Ran it on max boost with the aftermarket boost controllers, it jumped to 17psi but it was still not going anywhere....I'm officially confused.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you verified that all the boost control hoses are hooked up properly?

http://www.surrealmirage.com/vrg3/vacuu ... vacuum.png

Is there any other info you can provide about the specific problem? Does it happen at light, moderate, full throttle, etc?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sof220
In Neutral

Post by sof220 »

Yep, I actually used that diagram as a reference when I was installing it.
It only happens when I hit boost, if Im giving it less than quarter throttle its fine, but as soon as I punch it, it's like the car is thinking about what to do, it jerks ever so slightly and then nothing, no power. You can hear the turbo spool and release pressure as I let go off the throttle. The only thing I haven't replaced is the MAP sensor, which I'm trying to find right now. I was also thinking of installing a wideband AFR gauge to see what the engine is doing under boost.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you checked/repalced your MAF sensor?

Do you have a boost gauge? If so, what is happening when you experience the "no power".
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

sof220
In Neutral

Post by sof220 »

Yep, the MAF sensor that was in the car was all black and burnt so I replaced it with a known good one. Still the same.
I do have a boost gauge, with the stock boost controller I'm at around 8-9psi. With the Electronic one it goes all the way up to 17psi and down to 10psi...car reacts the same on any psi.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

At the moment, I'm kind of at a loss without some additional details. I think AFR info would be another piece which may help in troubleshooting if you decide to install one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Boost leak?
sof220
In Neutral

Post by sof220 »

I'm lost as well, I will find a wideband AFR and install it. I'll see what the values at and report back.

I checked for boost leaks, but the gauge is holding steady and I can't hear anything.
swerveburd
In Neutral

Post by swerveburd »

I'm back! If you look at my last post that was a bit ago. I got frustrated with the above issue and moved onto body work. Just finished repairing all rust and the car will be re-painted by this weekend.

Okay so will this issue I believe it's either vacuum lines in the wrong place or a boost leak. Possibly a bad BOV.

Tonight I'm running a boost leak test with an air compressor
If I can't figure this out by the end of the weekend it's going to the shop. Build thread coming soon!! Thanks guys
1993 Legacy Turbo Touring Wagon....TD04, TMIC, HkS BOV, coffee can, De-snork, TB Exhaust, VLSD, MSD Coil, Walbro 255, Fresh Paint, WRX 16's, WRX Suspension, New Brakes....soon Robtune...