EJ22e sudden loss of boost at 5500rpm

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RileyD
In Neutral

EJ22e sudden loss of boost at 5500rpm

Post by RileyD »

I have just an ej22e with a td04 running wastegate pressure of 6psi and no tune. It has run flawlessly for the past 5 months or so.

The other day I decided to put a turbo water pump on it so the headers would clear the water pump without the use of stacked gaskets. I took off the fmic, some piping, and the water pump. Put the water pump back on, fmic back on and all the piping. At the same time I also put a new BOV on too.

The car pulls just like it use to at a full 6psi up until 5500rpm exactly then it falls on it's face and will BARELY accelerate and it's at 0PSI. It's like it switches to N/A but 3 times as slow after 5500rpm.

It idles fine and runs fine up until 5500rpm. I figured it was the BOV so I messed with the preload and even put the other BOV back on and it still does the same thing. I then removed all the intercooler pipping and put it all back on just in case one the the flanges weren't mated up properly... And still the same thing. The last thing I can think of is my ghetto ass intake. It's a 90" silicone pipe from the turbo and then it's duct tapes to the stock intake. It has worked fantastically for the past 5 months. I don't know why It would just cause a problem.

Does this sound like it could be the intake? I've ordered an intake for it and I'm just waiting on it to arrive in the mail.

This is kicking my ass!

Oh, I'm also running no tune. So it can't be my tune!
alexandermf
Third Gear

Re: EJ22e sudden loss of boost at 5500rpm

Post by alexandermf »

Sounds to me like the duct taped ghetto intake... Too much air could be collapsing the intake
RileyD
In Neutral

Post by RileyD »

alexandermf wrote:Sounds to me like the duct taped ghetto intake... Too much air could be collapsing the intake
That's what I was thinking, it it's just weird that it just randomly started happening as soon I messed with other things, but didn't touch the intake.
92ss satinsvoice
Third Gear

Post by 92ss satinsvoice »

If you motor is getting a source of air after the MAF sensor it will cause massive power issues along with the engine dying.

it almost sounds like you hitting boost cut... do you have a defender against it cutting out from higher boost levels?
Andy
94 L n/a 5spd, Rip
92 ss burgundy, weekend toy - owner since 2006
mods: too much to list, lost track after $16,000
91 ss champagne - Rip
93 L wagon - Sold (in the family)
97 OBW LTD - Sold (in the family)
88 Leon GL Hatchback - DD
RileyD
In Neutral

Post by RileyD »

92ss satinsvoice wrote:If you motor is getting a source of air after the MAF sensor it will cause massive power issues along with the engine dying.

it almost sounds like you hitting boost cut... do you have a defender against it cutting out from higher boost levels?
I'm running wastegate pressure with no tune or boost controller. It doesn't have have a way to cut boost... or does it?

Also if I keep my pedal to the floor after i cuts all the boost it takes about 5 seconds to go from 5500 to 6000
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Where are you located? I had a similar issue where my custom intake hose from the air filter to the turbo would collapse when the temps got above 50°.

Also...you need a turbo water pump to use the EJ22T header/exhaust manifold? Did not know that. even if you take off the heat shields?
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Your pre-turbo intake is collapsing somewhere. It's not fuel cut because you can still accelerate. It's not the ECU because the ECU has no way to limit boost below wastegate pressure anyway.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

wtdash wrote:Where are you located? I had a similar issue where my custom intake hose from the air filter to the turbo would collapse when the temps got above 50°.

Also...you need a turbo water pump to use the EJ22T header/exhaust manifold? Did not know that. even if you take off the heat shields?
I'm wondering if he has a newer water pump on the engine where the thermostat housing bolts to the bottom of the pump instead of the front?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
RileyD
In Neutral

Post by RileyD »

I figured it out guys! My timing jumped a tooth. The ghetto intake lives on and was NOT the problem!

And yes, you should use the turbo water pump unless you want to stack 4 exhaust gasket to clean the NA water pump like I did before.

EDIT: I'm not sure about the ej22t headers, but I'm using stock wrx headers and I KNOW they don't clear the NA water pump.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

22t and wrx are pretty much the same.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT