turbo swap info needed

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mittens
In Neutral

turbo swap info needed

Post by mittens »

I have a 92 ss and want to upgrade the turbo. A friend in Japan has access to any parts I may need. I'm looking for the best solution that will be easily upgraded further down the road.

I was thinking I could run a complete version 1/2 setup (maf to throttle body) with the ver 1/2 ecu.

I know there would need to be some wiring done for the coils, what else am I overlooking for this setup?

Is the maf going to choke the system with a vf22? If so, what maf should I run?

Which are the best stock injectors to run (without needing modification)?

What fab is required to run the intercooler?

I will also be picking up a powerFC in the future if I go this rout.

As for power, I have no number in mind, just something a bit more fun around town.

Thanks in advance
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Re: turbo swap info needed

Post by PhyrraM »

Are you just upgrading the turbo?

If so, then just use the v1 turbo and intercooler (+related small parts). Keep boost low at first, then slowly ramp up as reliability allows. Keep the EJ22T ECU and injectors until you need more.

If you are planning on swapping the whole motor, then you can make the jump to the V1 ECU or PFC.

A series of slow, controlled, well thought out, and well understood upgrades will keep your car on the road and reliable.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Welcome! There are a lot of people running v1/2 swaps. In my opinion, the best bet is to run your stock 92ss wiring. You can't run coil on plug or a different MAF or injectors on the stock ECU of course, but you can redo a couple wires and run the V1 ecu if you wanted.

I haven't seen anyone run individual coilpacks on an ej22t, and I'm not sure how they'd mount. Here is a couple of badass resources on running an ej20g ecu (or PFC if you chose) to our cars:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37071
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 9&p=330762
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
mittens
In Neutral

Post by mittens »

Thank you for the replies. The vf11 is tired and needing a replacement, might as well upgrade while I'm at it, haha.
The ej22 is staying right where it is until it can be built up later.

How far can the stock ecu be taken? I will of course be using a wideband o2 to maintain favorable afrs.

I have read both those threads and they are very informational.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The mods will dictate how much boost you can run with a FCD. Usually around fuel cut is when the MAF starts maxing out which is pretty much the limiting factor of the ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

mittens wrote:
As for power, I have no number in mind, just something a bit more fun around town.

Thanks in advance
Hi,
You don't want a VF22 for around town. It's a laggy, hi-end power turbo. I'd suggest doing the basic WRX TMIC/TD04 upgrade. You can get a manual boost controller (MBC) and run 12psi (fuel cut is 13). See how you like it while collecting parts and info when you get 'used to it'. :)

Also, please spend some time reading the TMIC, TD04, TD05, VF39 upgrade / install threads on here, as you'll see what others have done, what each requires and usually get a bunch of related info you'll want to know.

The PFC will give you options for injectors, boost amount,etc. ...I found this LINK on 'scoobynet' (UK Subaru forum) that gives some info.

I'm a big fan of the Rob Tune route as it's proven to work and easily nets you 50% more HP/Torque to the wheels (depending on turbo).

As I always remind people......Your transmission may need attention sooner than later w/any upgrade...of course that depends on how you drive it!

TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mittens
In Neutral

Post by mittens »

Sorry for bringing this back from the dead...

But I'm in Japan, standing in a junk yard, and staring at an intact v1 STi!!!! There is also what I think is a v2 a few feet away.

I'm getting the td05h turbo, slanty ic, intake elbow with bpv, ecu, maf, and what I think is an hks built aluminum "coffee cup"

What else should I pull from the car? What am i missing? It has a spun bearing an keep in mind I do need to ship most stuff back.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The silver colored slanty tmic with the blue silicone intake, is the better of the two. See if there's any handling upgrades on it, such as larger sway bars, strut bars, upgraded suspension or springs. Something else cool to have would be the aluminum control arms if either have em.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

Hi,
Just a warning - if you didn't know - that ECU probably will need higher octane that you can easily buy @ a US pump. If you're going to send it in for a Rob Tune - no worries then.

Cool find!

GL,
TD
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
mittens
In Neutral

Post by mittens »

I picked up a silver slanty with the aluminum charge pipe, the SA badged ecu, Sti nardi wheel, td05h and a few other small parts. No handling goodies yet, but control arms and the like are a dime a dozen here

The owner of the yard only charged ¥10000 (~$100.00)!!!

I had already bought a Sti slanty with plastic pipe earlier in the week, so that will be for sale when I get back.

Question, are the old impreza clusters the same size and shape as our legacy's? They look close, but I can't find any direct comparison info
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

lucky if i pay pal ya could ya get me a slanty and a td05 in aug. lol
mittens
In Neutral

Post by mittens »

I can definitely sell you the IC, but the other td05 I found was in bad shape (shaft didn't want to spin freely and there was rain water in the compressor housing)
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

that sucks. well it will be late aug if thats ok.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

mittens wrote:Question, are the old impreza clusters the same size and shape as our legacy's? They look close, but I can't find any direct comparison info

I believe the impreza clusters are going to be slightly different. They wouldn't be interchangeable without modifying them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm