VF11 reliability with increased boost....?...

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

susiemk
In Neutral

VF11 reliability with increased boost....?...

Post by susiemk »

Hey I'm BXSS username is sorta dead now

I have a silly question regarding the reliability of the VF11 with boost levels over stock.

I dumped my vf11 after just getting it up to 10 psi & had no issues with it
But
I know folks have run more than 10 psi for extended periods of time, if you have run more than 10 psi please reply with your vf11boost level & amount of time you ran at this boost level.

Thanks!
MConte05
Second Gear

Re: VF11 reliability with increased boost....?...

Post by MConte05 »

I run at 12psi in the rally car, this is 20+ mile long stages at full boost, turbo glowing red hot, the turbo probably sees more abuse in one rally then in a lifetime for most cars. Plus it has 175k on it.

I just pulled the turbo off to swap out exhaust manifolds, and intended on replacing it with another VF11 thinking for sure it has to be nearly dead by now. Nope. Zero shaft play, spins freely, in great shape.

The VF11 is a rock solid turbo.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, as long as you are running good oil and change it regularly you should be able to increase the boost a bit.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
susiemk
In Neutral

Post by susiemk »

Good to hear.

I've seen big turbos gt45 / s400 sized die soon after an overboost episode (takes a huge over boost to kill the s400s like 60-75psi), so its good to hear the tiny vf can take a little bit of extra boost with good reliability.

I have a Forester 4eat running a ej20g with a teeny tiny little vf11, hot air with a ss charge pipe on it...
Believe it or not the vf11 is about as laggy as a 16g on the 2.0l engine (my ss has a 16g, fmic, 3" tbe, ej20g) but I can stay out of boost very easily while cruising so this low cfm turbo fits my "ecoboost" need very nicely & gets 30mpg on hw/ rural road mixed driving.

It makes about 33% more power @ 5psi than a 4eat ej251 forester with el headers, LW crank pulley, k&n drop in filter we have in the family so its an improvement over the ej25 in my opinion.
susiemk
In Neutral

Post by susiemk »

Wondering if the 10% smaller 2.0l engine would allow the VF11 to push out 10% more boost over the 12PSI ej22 max boost with similar efficiency...?...

I'm currently testing boost limits of the EJ20G/VF11 hot air (looks like 8.5psi is the safe limit before detonation (had a hunch this was the limit from my SS experience)), once I'm done I plan on testing the boost limits w Methanol injection hoping to run 13psi safely with the meth - ? if it will be possible.

Does 13 Vf11 psi on a 2.0l sound about right?
Last edited by susiemk on Wed May 27, 2015 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Why not just run a top mount? Meth is fun but if you run out you're done.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
susiemk
In Neutral

Post by susiemk »

I really wanted to keep the car 100% stock (grandma appearing) so I did not want to mount a scoop for the TMIC (have 2x06 WRx/FXT TMICs + a meth kit laying around).

My turbo friends look underhood & think the car is nA which I find funny but there is no intercooler & its a ugly old forester which did not come turbocharged :) ...

I Have a pretty big meth tank that would take a while to empty (2 tanks of gas before it was low on my OBS-t) & I check oil / meth levels every few days.

That said I measured underhood temps yesterday with a laser pyrometer & the IM was HOT, 160+*, 86* ambient temps AC running - so I may need a hood vent & if I have to make a vent I may as well slap a TMIC on the car/trucklet...
susiemk
In Neutral

Post by susiemk »

Got the meth kit on & cranked the boost up - got about 13psi, 14 psi on shifts (4eat) no knock injecting wwfluid -20*...
"Hi" boost power is up 62% over our ej251 el header/k&n/LW pulley 4eat sf forester.

I'm happy with this performance so I won't vf10 (much bigger than a vf11), td04,or td05 16g this deceiving little bread box.

In my experience 50/50 meth makes more power than ww fluild but I wanna keep everything simple / wife friendly which means no mixing methanol...
Trying to hook her on boost - my parents are in their mid-upper 50s & have 3 turbo Subaru's - boost is a must when they buy a new car :).
susiemk
In Neutral

Post by susiemk »

SILINC3R wrote:Why not just run a top mount? Meth is fun but if you run out you're done.
Thinking about an 06 WRX TMIC / GC8 Scoop on the bread box...

Naaa stock appearing is OK with me...