HELPPPPPP Bottomed out, turbo oil leak

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Scruff_
First Gear

HELPPPPPP Bottomed out, turbo oil leak

Post by Scruff_ »

Alright, so only bad things happen on my lunch break. I was driving through South Seattle and my car bottomed out. Looking like an exhaust leak from the front end of the car (not what I'm worried about at the moment), and the oil fitting on the turbo (it is a t3/t4 turbo, rotated setup) is ruined as far as I can tell.

The turbo has been showing signs of aging anyways, so I think my next move is just replacing it.

Here's the issue: I can get hold of a 2014 STi turbo, but I don't know what the fitment is going to be like. I'm sure it will take some fabrication work, and I've heard that they are oil and coolant cooled

Is it possible to get the 2014 turbo to fit? Also, is there anyone in the area that could help me figure it out this weekend? It's a shot in the dark, but I need to get something going on this...

EDIT: Talked to Andrew and Steve at PIA, they're saying that it should fit with obvious fab work, and that there should be an area for a coolant return line at the back of the engine?

EDIT2: Taking it apart today to get the turbo out, probably just going to have to find the same one online and straight across replace it whenever it comes in.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 4EAT
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Re: HELPPPPPP Bottomed out, turbo oil leak

Post by SILINC3R »

The stock turbos were also coolant cooled. Why you want to go so big?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

SILINC3R wrote:The stock turbos were also coolant cooled. Why you want to go so big?
I found out the available turbo is a VF39 out of a 2005 STi. I'm planning on going with it because it was offered to me, and if we can get it to fit I would love to run it.

After pulling my intercooler off and getting a better look at my current turbo, it is a Garrett T3/T4, .48 AR. It has the normal Subaru bellhousing as far as I can tell as well, so HOPEFULLY it won't be a total pain...

The plan is to get a friend to help out who really knows what he is doing, and get this done sooner than later. This Sentra rental car is not quite on the same level as my Legacy.

My second option that I will probably seek out tomorrow might me another T04E turbo that I have to look into, as it might be a better fit to just stick with the same setup.

Lesson learned, and my future plans that I was thinking about are confirmed: Gonna be switching out the WRX struts and springs for AGXs and King Springs from a site based in Portland, maybe even strut spacers. I don't want to bottom out ever again on something as simple as a gravel road. I think I'm going to enjoy the more aggressive look :-)
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

Alright: Update Time

Picking up the VF39 today. It should be compatable with the downpipe currently on the car. If it isn't for some reason, I have a COBB unit that I salvaged off of my 2006 Spec.B that I could use, the old DP would just have to be cut and the mid-pipe would need a flange welded on (DP back is all one piece at the moment, wasn't the greatest idea in hindsight).

I'll be picking up a gasket kit for the VF39 on the internet and hopefully can get it by this weekend (shouldn't be a problem).

As for the uppipe, I need to find out if the header is dual port (I think it is... but I will be going through some threads and head over to my buddy's to look at mine) because there is a header and uppipe from an EJ20K on Craigslist I could pick up. Hopefully that will also fix the exhaust leak that occurred as well. 2 birds with one stone :)
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

did you have bump stops in?
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Scruff_
First Gear

Post by Scruff_ »

SILINC3R wrote:did you have bump stops in?
I would have to imagine they are still installed. I was going like a mile an hour when it impacted anyways, I just hit the ground in just the right spot, it seems.

Update: Got the VF39 last night, no shaft play or anything so we're looking good.

Picking up headers and uppipe today, after looking at the turbo and at my car, I will also be picking up a WRX intercooler.

I also determined that I will not be using the old downpipe, so the exhaust will have to be cut and flanged to fit to an aftermarket WRX downpipe I just purchased (was going to use my old COBB unit but was told it would have fitment issues in terms of the way they bend). Ordering gaskets for the VF39 today, then going to have to figure out what silicone hoses I need to order to fit everything together...

Modlist to be installed is as follows at the moment:

VF39 out of a 04-05 STi
Intercooler off of a 2002-2003 WRX
Kakumei Downpipe off of a 2006 WRX
Headers and uppipe off of a v3 STi (1997?)

Then getting a flange on the current exhuast (might need to modify it a bit to line up with whereever the downpipe ends)

I guess at this point my biggest concern is having the right silicone hoses and clamps. The headers, uppipe, and downpipe are all direct bolt ons but getting everything else connected together is going to be the biggest issue.
1994 Subaru Legacy TW
2000 Toyota Echo