car loan apr?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

TurboLegacy
First Gear

car loan apr?

Post by TurboLegacy »

im gettin a newer car and i need a loan for it. ive been looking around for the lowest apr and the lowest i can find is 8.5%. does that sound reasonable for an 18 year old male for a $2,200 dollar loan?

btw- the car is a 95 caprice LT-1 police package. for college i need a project car, so i was looking for one, but then i decided that i would buy a daily driver, and use the suby as my project :lol: . so for my daily driver i found this great condition ex-cop car. this car is fast! it has some minor mods like a flowmaster dual exhaust , cone filter, and a grantinelli maf sensor. stock its got 260hp at the fly, but i think its around 275 at the fly now. its got posi and can squeak the tires when it hits second ( really lights em up in first without powerbraking)
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I didn't know automatics had Flywheels.

Reguardless, don't get a retired cop car. They are ALWAYS beat. I've never seen any retired cop car that isn't ragged.

8.5% sounds high, but I dunno. I was seeing low 3% APR when I was looking to finance a brand new car. Might be different.

18 with no credit is never good.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Rates are worse for used cars. I'm surprised they'll give you an auto loan for something so old. Is that a personal loan?

That's like a really cheap Impala SS. Phil's right about them being beat. Watch the transmissions.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

Post by legacycontinues »

I would only buy a retired caprice if it was a detectives car but unless you know someone on the inside that can tell you which ones are, you are indeed buying a ragged out car.

How many miles? Any squeek in the suspension? Those cars wil let you know if they have been beat.

5.7 ltr V8....have you seen the price of gas??

If you are dead set on getting the car...our opinions won't mean squat. So take your happy ass there tommorow and buy it.

Let me know what town you live in so I can buy the car cheap from the police auction after they impound it for you driving like a madman.

I'm juat playing...drive safe...and like you stole it.
Last edited by legacycontinues on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
TurboLegacy
First Gear

Post by TurboLegacy »

5.7 v8, and i dont car about the price of gas, my legacy's prolly getting around 10 mpg's the way its running. the guys selling two, the more expensive one isnt ragged, its got 113,000 and a rebuilt tranny at 100,000. the other car is a p.o.s. its a used car loan at some places and a personal at others.
92 legacy turbo 5spd fwd-12 psi, tm intercooler bov, walbro 255.

81 chevy malibu- 400 sb, holley 600, edelbrock rpm, hooker headers, lunati voodoo cam,4spd muncie, 3:73 posi,monte c. swivel buckets, corvette rally wheels
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

How do you know it isn't ragged on?

It was a cop car. Cop's idle for hours and hours on end in front of donut shops, and 7-11 and such. They get run out. They drive and drive over anything and everything, without any reguard for mechaincal sympathy.

It's ragged, and I'd stay away if I were you. But if you MUST, $2200 isn't a crazy amount of money, and 8.5% is probably as low as it's going to get (if it was lower, the bank wouldn't make anything by lending it to you).
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

ill give you a loan for 20%
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

I can do 19%...
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I get 8.5% on my personal loan. Any loan using something as collateral should be lower...
Laurel Tuning Stage 15
92 Touring Wagon 5MT 16G
[quote="NICO I WRX U"]the streets are my track[/quote]
legacycontinues
Voluntarily Dismissed

Don't buy a GMC product. They are crap.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Re:

Post by Alphius »

legacycontinues wrote:Don't buy a GMC product. They are crap.
Luckily its not a GMC then... :lol:
I think you mean GM, but even then it takes all sorts. I'm a GM guy at heart (see sig) but I drive Subarus to have something to beat on over the winter so my nice cars don't have to battle the elements and other stupid drivers.

As far as the car goes, it should get high teens to low 20s for highway mileage and mid to low teens in town. The transmissions are wear items unless the PCM has been tuned with an eye towards transmission reliability and the transmission has been rebuilt with a couple upgraded parts. An auxiliary transmission cooler goes a long way too, heat kills automatic transmissions.

8.5% APR is about as good as it gets for a personal unsecured loan. I'd be surprised if you could get a secured loan on something that old, but my credit union offers closer to 4-6% on secured used car loans depending on age and mileage. 2.9% on new cars.
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: car loan apr?

Post by James614 »

I think after 8 years he has probably made his choice already ;)
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Holy crap! Fooled by a spambot. I pat myself on the back for this one...
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Lol.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Leaving this here for posterity ;)
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ride_child
Third Gear

Post by ride_child »

hahaha awesome new years read
Kris

'91 Mica White SS - R.I.P.
'88 White RX Turbo sedan - SOLD
'91 Black SS - SOLD
'93 Silver Turbo Wagon - Hibernation/Project Mode
'91 Black Camry Alltrac - R.I.P.
'09 DGM Forester XT Limited - Daily