What did you do to your Subie today?

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Re: What did you do to your Subie today?

Post by originalcyn »

That might be all the more reason not to do it. I was thinking the stockers and the hellas, so that difference in size would stand out.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
2004 Forester 2.5XT Premium | JBP 18L
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

If you put the stock horns in the corners, they shouldn't be too noticable. If you put them kinda like this. I had them facing the raditator at first and they were less noticable that way.
Danny
biggreen96 wrote:well get out there and smash that geo around and get comfy.
1993 Legacy LS Awd: lifted, 4eat, higher mileage, and dirty.
1994 Legacy Turbo wagon: rwd, 4eat, and a faint knock..
1992 Legacy postal: bone stock, 4eat, blown reverse.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Hella's are too quiet, I've got a train horn in mine :twisted:

Need a new compressor though
silver03
First Gear

Post by silver03 »

Replaced shifter knuckle bushings and return spring....happy shifting is back in style!
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Subaru definitely keeps Hella's horn business profitable. :P There's just something about it, I have absolutely zero desire to put Hella's in any of my other cars, but for some reason as soon as I get a Subaru I'm like "Hmm, you know what would be nice? Some sweet red horns behind that grill. :P"
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Danny, looks good. did you put a turbo grille on your car?

Apex3, i'm jealous. Something about being as loud as a train when someone cuts me off seems very enjoyable.

by the way, amazon is selling supertones for relatively cheap right now, about 55, free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/HELLA-003399803-S ... 140&sr=8-3

They're the 118db ones, but i believe they're made in India, though all the new stock is supposedly made in India.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Yup, traded an Outback fog light for it. Sadly, I broke the badge when I took it off to paint the grille.
Danny
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, the Hella Supertones will not fit behind the grill on a pre-face lift Legacy with the AC condensor installed. I've never seen how much room is behind a post-face lift legacy, but apperently there is more of it.

I can say that the horns really aren't any louder when I had them in the engine bay vs. where I have them now in the lower fender well area on the passenger side.

Here's the old setup.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... P_6100.JPG

Here is the new location of the horns in the passenger fenderwell area.
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... upertones/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Josh,

you said you were running both sets for a while right? Can you just come off the stock wires that are going to the horns and "y" them to a hella horn and a stock horn without any other modifications? Does this lower the power to the hellas making them quieter?
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Falken-18c
Second Gear

Post by Falken-18c »

replaced clutch an exedy
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-Drove Irene from San Bernardino, CA to Denver, CO! Avg. 23 mpg! No issues!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Thats it? I got 25mpg on my trip down to stevenson, wa for wcss and ive got 525cc injectors, td05 and 4.444 final drive.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
TBFK
First Gear

Post by TBFK »

Replaced my knock sensor on lunch.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
Jesse James

Nintendo Technical Support Representative

Link To Nintendo Technical Support Thread
Ramsey Clark wrote:Who will protect the public when the police violate the law?
1997 Legacy LSi A/T
1994 Impreza Wagon 5M/T
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

kimokalihi wrote:Thats it? I got 25mpg on my trip down to stevenson, wa for wcss and ive got 525cc injectors, td05 and 4.444 final drive.
-Well I did have a lot of stuff in my car, packed with everything the car would hold! (...moving) I know weight makes a difference and the car just turned 210,xxx miles! I'm running the 4.11 diff. running stock injectors! 80mph = 3800rpms!

-Joe
-I'd rather loose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch cause someone else built it for me. Your car, is your story, so don't let someone else write the book. ~Moog
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

originalcyn wrote:Josh,

you said you were running both sets for a while right? Can you just come off the stock wires that are going to the horns and "y" them to a hella horn and a stock horn without any other modifications? Does this lower the power to the hellas making them quieter?

Yes I'm still run both the stock horns and the hella horns. You need to use a relay to wire the hellas. Hooking them up to the stock wiring, even if they are the only horns doesn't provide enough juice to really make them loud. When I first got them I wired them up that way, and they were louder than stock, but with good wiring through a relay to the battery, they're much louder.

What I would suggest is leave the stock horns there, tap off the existing horns wire for your relay "trigger". Then wire 14-12 gauge from the battery to the relay and then to the Hellas. Make sure to install a fuse in that line about 12-14" from the battery. With everything hooked up, you should have both the stock horns and the Hellas.

If you need some help with the relay, here's a little info and a picture. Most relays have standard pin #'s and should confirm to those numbers.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/tip.html#relay

Using the numbers in the diagram, the battery lead should go to pin 30, pin 87 would go to the hellas, and the other side of the hellas would go to ground. Pin 85 would be the "trigger" wire from the stock horns and then pin 86 would go to ground.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

CAV3MAN227 wrote:
kimokalihi wrote:Thats it? I got 25mpg on my trip down to stevenson, wa for wcss and ive got 525cc injectors, td05 and 4.444 final drive.
-Well I did have a lot of stuff in my car, packed with everything the car would hold! (...moving) I know weight makes a difference and the car just turned 210,xxx miles! I'm running the 4.11 diff. running stock injectors! 80mph = 3800rpms!

-Joe
I had 3 passengers, the trunk couldn't hold another beer and we even had a bunch of crap in the back between the rear passengers.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Yea on a normal car it should be getting 25+ even loaded up, I drove 300 miles to school for the last 3 years, so my car was always piled full of shit for long drives, and I'd get 25.5 almost every time, empty I'd get up to 28 sometimes.

But it could be because the change in altitude from CA to CO
CAV3MAN227
Third Gear

Post by CAV3MAN227 »

-well as I see it, based off that motorweek video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwPm-YrKkm8 , the car was rated 19-25 mpg so I cant complain really! ...even with a tranny that doesn't belong in the car!

-Joe
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Put a 20% tint on the car.
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
Danny-G
Fourth Gear

Post by Danny-G »

Put a complete owners manual in. The one that came with the car had no pages after 12-2, so a small thing but it was kinda bugging me.
Danny
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

found out why my injector was leaking.

Dave

Post by Mattheww044 »

same exact thing happened to me, so I upgraded to 440s :D
originalcyn
Fourth Gear

Post by originalcyn »

Josh, Thanks for the info. I didn't use the relay when I installed, which I guess is fine for me. It already makes my ears ring. I always figured that a relay is basically a conditional switch rather than any kind of amplification. But If i decide to put the stock horns back in, i'll run it all through the relay like you suggested.

Today all weather mats went in. They're selling sets for 39 dollars ish on SubaruGenuineParts.com.
Kijan

1993 Legacy LS | PBM 227
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

originalcyn wrote:Josh, Thanks for the info. I didn't use the relay when I installed, which I guess is fine for me. It already makes my ears ring. I always figured that a relay is basically a conditional switch rather than any kind of amplification. But If i decide to put the stock horns back in, i'll run it all through the relay like you suggested.

A relay is really a switch for turning on a high current device using a low current switch. Think of it like a straw. You can blow a decent amount of air through a regular drinking straw. Compare that to those little stirring straws for coffee. Even blowing as hard, you still can't get as much air through the straw. This works the same way for electricity. larger gauge wire, relays vs. low current switches allow for more current to flow which allows the end device to be louder, brighter, faster, etc. That's the main advantage of using a relay.

originalcyn wrote:Today all weather mats went in. They're selling sets for 39 dollars ish on SubaruGenuineParts.com.
I actually need new mats for the Impreza. Are these the ones you got?

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/prod ... cts_id=133

Any chance you could grab a couple pictures. I think the 1st gen impreza mats are a little different, but for that price, I'd like to try and make them work.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Relays also mean you dont need to run the high current wire as far and you can keep it out of the cabin.