My Turbo Coupe

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Turbo_Carl
First Gear

My Turbo Coupe

Post by Turbo_Carl »

Even though I love my new Subaru, it's really mainly my daily driver. Here is my project car. 1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo coupe. It has a 2.3T 4 Cylinder Engine with an IHI RHB5 (VF17). It also comes stock with a top mount intercooler.

Fully stock on 16psi it made 187whp and 243wtq at Revolutions Performance here in Colorado Springs (6000ft Elevation). That was with a cracked exhaust manifold. Since then, I have done a good bit of modification. I have over $2500 worth of parts waiting to go on it. The only thing holding me back is an ECU. (being built).

My ultimate goal for it is to participate in the Pikes Peak Hill Climb.

Here is where it sits now.

Etnies stickers are gone. I did that as a joke for a few days. Also the front bumper is not the same, as I am in the process of making a front splitter for it. That is a Ford Valve Cover welded to the hood. (Will be gone when I put the new ECU in).
Front mount piping. Optima Red Top. Forge Dual Piston BOV. Custom Cold Air Intake I made from ducting parts.
Upgraded to a Ford Explorer Dual Core Radiator. Ford Taurus Fan (One of the best flowing fans you can get).
Izuzu Big NPR Intercooler. (Thing is a BEAST).
Hallman Pro RX Boost Manual Controller
Very Rare version of the Holset HX35 with
-Billet Wheel
-Water and Oil Cooled
-Internal Wastegate with 3in Vband
-T4 Flange

Wheel is tight in all directions and spins great!

Paid $380 bucks!
Some of the recent work I've done

Rebuilt all injectors, cleaned fuel rail, installed Kirban FPR

New flywheel and pilot bearing

SPEC Stage 3+ Clutch Installed

Bellhousing cleaned and installed

Just a recent pic of the bird :)

The stock internals are Fully Forged from Ford save the Crank. They have been able to withstand 500whp for quite some time on several drag cars. The block is almost invincible. I am shooting for 450whp on E85 with stock internals, and 700whp fully built.

Right now I am still on the IHI, and waiting on a new manifold.

I will keep everyone updated!
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

1987 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe (Pikes Peak Hill Climb Car)
ggbox69
First Gear

Re: My Turbo Coupe

Post by ggbox69 »

Cool project. I'd love to pick up a ford with a 2.3 turbo, my friend has a Merkur XR4ti and it was definitely a fun car, easy to work on and big power potential, it has an Esslinger head now. I tried to pick up an SVO a few years back but the deal fell through. Would love to see updates.
1994 Wagon - Turbo swapped DD
EJ22T, 3'' TBE, Apexi Intake, Spec Clutch, H&R's, Robtune, VF39, 550's, Walbro, V2 STI Top Mount, AEM Wideband
Turbo_Carl
First Gear

Re: My Turbo Coupe

Post by Turbo_Carl »

ggbox69 wrote:Cool project. I'd love to pick up a ford with a 2.3 turbo, my friend has a Merkur XR4ti and it was definitely a fun car, easy to work on and big power potential, it has an Esslinger head now. I tried to pick up an SVO a few years back but the deal fell through. Would love to see updates.
Thanks man!

I've owned 3 2.3Ts in my life.

I currently have 2 Turbo Coupes and used to own an 86 Cougar XR7.

The 2.3T is easily one of the best motors Ford ever built and THE best block EVER. I am still shocked that they discontinued the 2.3T in 1989 right when they were about to bring back the SVO with DOHC. Now the Volvo Head Swap is the only option for DOHC. I'm getting a BOPORT Stage 3 ported Esslinger Aluminum head pretty soon. Already have a Stage 1.9 Cam (7k is as high as I want to rev on stock internals).

I love Subarus, but will always be a Ford guy first.
1993 SS. 5MT, STI Fuel Pump, Custom Intake, Diamond Coil Pack, Forge BOV, Hallman MBC, Custom AWIC, CNT 3" Downpipe, SLP Resonator, Carbon Muffler, TD04, FCD

1987 Ford T-Bird Turbo Coupe (Pikes Peak Hill Climb Car)