Camless Valvetrains

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Camless Valvetrains

Post by kimokalihi »

How come auto manufacturers aren't using camless valvetrains by now?

I'm not educated on every aspect of this technology but I get the general idea; The camshafts are removed from the equation and replaced by electric solenoids. This frees up a sizable amount of hp and allows for complete variable control of the valve timing by the ECU and gets rid of the timing belt in the process. This in turn yields more torque throughout the rev range and increases fuel economy. I saw it once years ago in a magazine. A guy had designed it himself and had a working version on his custom built engine. Seems like combining this technology with direct injection we could really improve on the combustion engine.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
MConte05
Second Gear

Re: Camless Valvetrains

Post by MConte05 »

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

What MConte said. It's still prohibitively expensive for a consumer application at this point.

Someone who follows Formula 1 closer than I do can say this for sure, but I believe all F1 engines now have electrically-actuated valves, primarily because of valve float. I think they got to a point where the engines were spinning so fast that no valve spring could close the valve fast enough.

But I don't think we're far off, honestly. As I was talking about here, Nissan and BMW are already using VVT that's so variable that you're controlling valve timing with your right foot. Throttle bodies are rendered unnecessary, except as a safety measure should the VVT system fail.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Pretty cool technology for sure. I forgot about the throttle body bit.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

F1 still uses camshafts, but instead of a metal spring they use pneumatic cylinders.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Camless Valvetrains

Post by entirelyturbo »

Good to know.

But I wonder why they don't use desmodromic valves. I would think that would be less complex and/or more reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

It seems to me like a pneumatic cylinder is probably less complex than the desmodromic valves. The desmodromic valves just sound like a huge nightmare.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

The pneumatic system is pretty simple and probably weighs less too:

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Yeah, and there's also more load on the camshafts with the desmodromic valves too, come to think of it, since they have the responsibility of both opening and closing the valves. That's not an issue with the pneumatic valves.

Nonetheless, Ducati has been racing quite successfully with desmodromic valves, according to that Wikipedia article.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

The Ducati deso's require frequent valve adjustments. Like every 15k, or something.
Jamal, what you pictured is a hyd valve spring but still relies on the mechanical cam to open the valve.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Um, did you read my post or the caption in that diagram?
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

jamal wrote:Um, did you read my post or the caption in that diagram?
Did I miss something? I thought we were discussing electric/hydraulic actuated valves.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Here's a great example of this technology in action. Koenigsegg has been working on it and seems to have it pretty figured out. Capable of 20,000 RPM! I like the way this guy explains it. He says to picture an artist trying to play a piano with a broomstick across all the keys and now with camless technology is he can now play nearly limitless variants of music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bch5B23 ... e=youtu.be

With this technology and direct injection I'm sure you could easily run a 600cc 2 cylinder engine in my metro and get 70 mpg making 60+ hp.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That Free valve technology is amazing!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I just saw that and was gonna post it here. Its awesome to see a working example. And the added benefits that come with it! Like storing compressed air on board and using it to boost intake pressure. This is definitely the future of the internal combustion engine.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

It seems as though if a smaller manufacturer can pull this off why hasn't toyota or ford or gm done it? They've put 60,000 km on that retrofitted head with no problems. Increased torque/hp/mpg and a lighter smaller engine seems like a no brainer. Especially when this system can function at 20,000 rpm.