kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by Legacy777 »

Is the diff making noise? If not, just make sure it has fluid and go.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
crashnburn
First Gear

kimokalihi's 91 SS EJ20 Swap

Post by crashnburn »

I also have a noise coming from somewhere when I am de accelerating but nothing when giving gas and I'm stumped on what it is
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

[quote="crashnburn"]I also have a noise coming from somewhere when I am de accelerating but nothing when giving gas and I'm stumped on what it is[/quote]

Sounds like your Turbo Encabulator is on it's way out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXW0bx_Ooq4
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

crashnburn wrote:I also have a noise coming from somewhere when I am de accelerating but nothing when giving gas and I'm stumped on what it is
Very strange isn't it. Makes me wish I had a stock exhaust to hear it better. Also makes me wish I could drive the car while sticking my head out of each window to hear where it's coming from. Yesterday I had my friend sit in the back and stick his head out the passenger side window and he said it sounds like it's coming from the passenger side rear wheel bearing but when I told him to stick his head out the driver's side window I remembered that door lock and window are not working for some reason.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Legacy777 wrote:Is the diff making noise? If not, just make sure it has fluid and go.
I have no idea what is making the noise. That's the problem. It's one of those things you can't really tell where it's coming from. For instance I once thought I had a vacuum leak and I could hear it in the car but when I popped the hood I couldn't hear anything. Turned out to be alternator whine coming solely from my subwoofer in the hatch! lol. It's got fluid, I filled it yesterday.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

If you are hearing this noise when going hard around corners, maybe it could be tire rub? If you have bigger tires and are sitting low, with lower offset number wheels.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Nope, it's got nothing to do with corners. Corners have no affect on the noise. (do you use effect or affect in this instance?) Only time I hear it is either during cruise at different speeds or when I let off the gas a little. Not if I let off the gas completely. And probably only going 30+ mph and letting off the gas. I don't think I hear it at lower speeds.
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

kimokalihi wrote:Nope, it's got nothing to do with corners. Corners have no affect on the noise. (do you use effect or affect in this instance?) Only time I hear it is either during cruise at different speeds or when I let off the gas a little. Not if I let off the gas completely. And probably only going 30+ mph and letting off the gas. I don't think I hear it at lower speeds.

effect
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I had a sneaking suspicion that my speedo was off. Now I'm convinced it it. Took it on the freeway for the first time today on the way home from running errands and while going at the same speed of everyone else it read 85MPH! That cannot be right. The speed limit is 70 and there was a ford bronco next to me and there's no way that guy was doing 80+ MPH in a bronco.

Is it because of the 4.444 gear ratio? Or because it's JDM? I'm thinking gear ratio because JDM would probably be the same and they would just display it in KM. Any way to fix this?

Is it effecting the performance of the engine at all by being off probably 15MPH at 70MPH? I know without it connected it really fucked with the ECU so maybe turning faster than it should might throw something off too?

That noise is bothering me. Is there a way to determine once and for all whether it's the diff or wheel bearings? Maybe put it on jackstands, turn it on, put it in gear and have someone give it different levels of throttle while I listen under the car?

I'm worried if it is wheel bearings that buying new bearings will do no good because the hubs are possibly destroyed. So I would need to buy all new hubs too.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

If you're that worried, pick up the best pair of hubs you can find from the j/y before you tear into yours.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I was planning to do all 4 since I can't tell which ones are bad and to eliminate any doubt.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Christmas came early this morning! Now to make them fit under the car...oh boy. I need to locate a fender roller ASAP.

Hustleshark206
In Neutral

Post by Hustleshark206 »

Holy crap Kimo great thread! It took me 2 days to read it all while at work. I think you have had more problems to over come with this build then I did with my Impreza build! Really impressive work and nice to see that you are getting everything sorted out. I love all the custom work you have done to make your build totally unique.

I might steal your idea of removing the chrome trim off my leggy. Mine is white too ;)

Allow me to apologize again for falling through on the downpipe purchase. My Impreza is just about to roll out of the shop after 8 months and I need every spare penny I can get right now. Hopefully no hard feelings man.
07Evolved
Second Gear

Post by 07Evolved »

oh boy...im jealous!
Brad

1991 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon 5MT (DD)
2000 Outback 5MT (DD)
2005 AW STi
2010 LGT (hers)
1998 Outback (her DD)

Build Thread
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No problem Hustler. Thanks for the kind words, it's been a journey.

I scheduled an appointment at speedware motorsports in the morning to get my fenders rolled, corner balance and alignment! I'm excited.

BTW those tires and wheels...far too wide for this car lowered. They stick out as wide as the fender itself. But I will make it work. I raised the car up an inch today :(
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

[quote="kimokalihi"]I raised the car up an inch today :([/quote]
Stock suspension geometry works best at factory ride height.
HappyFrog
First Gear

Post by HappyFrog »

Nioe :smt023
Subaru Legacy Turbo 1992 - it's alive (but not done). VEMS ecu, 6mt, Wiseco/Eagle internals, Hybrid GT FMIC, 550cc, TD05 Big 16g @ 22psi, dynoed 294/293.
Now being parted out
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Hey kimo, I just put 04 wrx struts on my car with prodrive springs.... the springs aren't tapered.... but they seem to be working fine..... haha
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Interesting. What top hats do you have? You have a 91 right?
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

yea 91 legacy. I bought 04 struts with tapered perrin springs from the radio flyer, but I wanted to try the prodrive springs. While they were kinda a PITA to get on, I got them all snugged up and they seem to be fine.... The back sits a little higher than the front, but I think thats the way those springs are set up to be, I could be wrong though
Hustleshark206
In Neutral

Post by Hustleshark206 »

Hey Kimo, Can you help me out with the chrome trim removal please?? I got the trim off the bumpers no problem but appears that the chrome flashing is actually a part of the trim on the doors and body panels. Is there something I am missing here?? I battled with it for a while and gave up. Did you have to cut the chrome to get it out?

Thanks for the help and keep us updated on your progress!
fatgc8
First Gear

Post by fatgc8 »

Kimo stop holding out on us and show us some damn pics of those rotas on your car! lol
2005 STi (500WHP with "SlowSTi" as the license plate lol (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Legacy ss JDM EJ20G swap with STi goodies (DD)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Hustleshark206 wrote:Hey Kimo, Can you help me out with the chrome trim removal please?? I got the trim off the bumpers no problem but appears that the chrome flashing is actually a part of the trim on the doors and body panels. Is there something I am missing here?? I battled with it for a while and gave up. Did you have to cut the chrome to get it out?

Thanks for the help and keep us updated on your progress!
I don't think you can remove the chrome trim from the sides. You have to cover it with electrical tape. Use only 3M brand Scotch electrical tape. Cheap electrical tape won't stick well or last. Works great and if it ever peels off, just put more on!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

fatgc8 wrote:Kimo stop holding out on us and show us some damn pics of those rotas on your car! lol

Here they are...

The wheels and tires did not fit at all. Fender sat right down on the tires. I fixed that though with some fender rolling/flaring. I'll explain that when I get more time.

Here's how it sits now. I don't think it's rubbing but maybe a little bit. I only drove it briefly. The rear diff is fucked. :( What a waste of money and a perfectly good LSD. I feel like a moron for destroying it.

I also did a bit of body work. Sort of. I sanded all the rust out of this big ding in the quarter panel. It was bothering me because over the last 2 years it's got much rustier. I got all the rust out though and sprayed 3 coats of primer over it until I have it fixed some day.

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I wish I would have gone with 16s (have to be a different wheel as 17x8 is the smallest they make these in) and 205 tires. Wouldn't have had to roll the fenders (the paint is not cracked), would have saved a ton of money and would look much better. Not too happy right now. They look good, just looked a lot better slammed and those tires and wheels look huge on my car.