Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

xise
Third Gear

Re: Xise's 1993 Legacy Turbo

Post by xise »

Contracted grimmspeed, turns out their ECBS is adjustable for resistance and voltage...so I am buying it :)
2004 Impreza 2.5RS Fränkenpreza Daily Driver
1993 Legacy Sport: Sedan Sex Panther-R.I.P. @ the boneyard
1991 Legacy L Wagon: Sex Panther II
2005 Outback XT Turbo grocery-getter Wife's Daily Driver
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

You're talking about this http://www.grimmspeed.com/catalog/produ ... cts_id=145 ?

Don't buy that. Its only for obd2 02-07 wrx/sti. Won't work. And it requires tuning I think.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

what kimo said, i have one and cant use it. i believe you have to be obd2. (correct me im wrong)
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

You have to have them calibrate it for the correct voltage range and internal impedance. You can't just buy the one for the 02-07 WRX as that one has internal resistance of 33 ohms, our cars need to see 20 Ohms. I double checked the spec Josh gave me in the FSM and they are correct.

I am basically having to special order it through the company, and am now waiting for them to refer me to a dealer.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Oh, I see. Ingeresting. How much is it? They don't mention that option on their website. You should talk them into making one for obd1 jdm wrx and legacy. At the price of those I think I would just buy a used electronic boost controller though.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

+1 on the ebc. Its just as good if not better and its universal i.e. Works great on our cars. I have a blitz ebc and really like it. But i still need some fine tuning. The ebc really increased boost response.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The grimmspeed BCS is pretty much identical to what we already have in our cars. It "may" be rated to higher pressures, but that's about the only thing I can see as a difference.

Regardless.....if they'll do one with a custom resistance to match our BCS, it should work fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

It is controlled by the ECU so it should function exactly the same...not sure how it would give better response like they and other ppl claim it does...maybe it opens/closes quicker or responds quicker the the pwm signal it gets...not sure.

I am probably going to grab an mbc also so I can adjust on the fly, anyone know of a digital one? I have only seen the kbob style mbcs
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

Your digital boost controller would be an electronic boost controller. Around 300+ new for a later model. Older setups can run 150-250.

The way mine controls boost is by a percentage. Not just psi

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Don't buy the grimmspeed one if you're going to buy an electronic controller. One or the other.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Also if you are going to run a manual boost controller don't worry about it. Just get a dropping resistor from an auto N/A Legacy and plug it in to the connector to fool the ECU.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Good point. I vote ebc and forget grimmspeed. They're way overpriced and over-rated. Or save a ton of money and buy a used mbc for $30 and spend that money on something better.
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Just my 2cents... I ran a hallman pro mbc for 5 months and loved it, you can find it used from 40-80 and new 70-150(depending on kit for in cabin). Recently I purchased a nice used blitz ebc for under 200 and ill never go back :) just depends on your budget but I say go blitz dual sbc, greddy profec b or hks older model ebc
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

xise wrote:It is controlled by the ECU so it should function exactly the same...not sure how it would give better response like they and other ppl claim it does...maybe it opens/closes quicker or responds quicker the the pwm signal it gets...not sure.
Yeah, I don't think it's going to be any faster than the stock one.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

I know the SS ECU is dumb and can be easily fooled with a resistor, but the bcs solenoid is designed to incorporate a unch of other sensors into when to provide vacuum to the actuator solenoid to open the wastegate. I bet a bunch of you guys still have your factory BCS in place with the MBC to control the wastegate pressure.

the way I understand the function of the BCS is that it sends vacuum to the actuator in accordance with engine load. That way you don't hit peak boost too soon, (whatever your mbc is set to) That way the solenoid opens the wastegate gradually so you get the right amount of boost to go along with the engine load.

If I used the resistor like the NAs have wouldn't it just allow the turbo to spool up to max as soon as it started to spin? I just want to get the most out of my setup
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

You could run the MBC and BCS in parallel. In that situation, the BCS controls max boost and the MBC limits the potential to have boost spikes over your target boost. There is no other way to run the BCS and MBC together.

I guarantee you 99% of people with an MBC on this site are not also using the BCS. There is no way to use the BCS to control part throttle spooling and also have the max boost set by the MBC like you are talking about. In parallel, the BCS would still limit boost to 9psi regardless of what your MBC was set to.

Either run a stock BCS setup and stock boost or run an MBC and put a dropping resistor from an A/T car where the BCS used to be.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

cj91legss wrote:As a matter of fact Xise

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2427996

Damn that thing is nice, a bit more than I wanted to spend though...
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Alphius wrote:You could run the MBC and BCS in parallel. In that situation, the BCS controls max boost and the MBC limits the potential to have boost spikes over your target boost. There is no other way to run the BCS and MBC together.

I guarantee you 99% of people with an MBC on this site are not also using the BCS. There is no way to use the BCS to control part throttle spooling and also have the max boost set by the MBC like you are talking about. In parallel, the BCS would still limit boost to 9psi regardless of what your MBC was set to.

Either run a stock BCS setup and stock boost or run an MBC and put a dropping resistor from an A/T car where the BCS used to be.
How does it respond to just having no control though? I know a lot of people might do it, doesn't mean it is the best way.

To me it would seem like the difference between these 2 scenarios, A guy pushing a large stone block with his hands across the room, as he gets it moving he picks up momentum and speed.

The other guy has no arms, and just runs full steam, smacks face first right into the stone block and pushes it legs kicking full speed using his head to propel the block across the floor.

The same end result is produced, but one takes a bit more care to prevent wear or possibly blowing a piston through the motor....unless I am just being to precautious here
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Your accelerator position becomes the control. You can still do partial boost with partial throttle. It's not an on-off sort of thing.

It's not gonna break your engine. X amount of boost is still the same stress, it doesn't matter how it is reached. The MBC just doesn't start opening the wastegate until you hit the setpoint, while the EBC/BCS can target specific boost values between wastegate pressure and full boost depending on many variables.

You should try driving a car with an MBC, I think it would put a lot of your questions to rest.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Our stock BCS setup is a "blocking" type BCS. It blocks the intake manifold vacuum or boost from reaching the wastegate solenoid until it needs to open so not to overshoot target boost. This type of BCS acts pretty much the same as a MBC.

The main reason you see people upgrading to the 3 port BCS's is that the newer Subarus use a bleed type BCS setup, which allows the wastegate solenoid to gradually see boost, which doesn't allow boost to build as quickly. It's safer, which is why the factory has gone that route.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Ok I see what you are saying, I was sort of on the right page but I guess the legacy doesn't operate the same way as sway an 02 wrx. Well if that is it I am going the easier and cheaper route for sure.

No legacies anywhere in the local junkyards, and idea how much the drop resistor would cost here or at the dealer? I'll grab an MBC asap...guess it doesn't really matter which one...they are pretty simple after all.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Um....not sure the cost of a new dropping resistor, but I'm sure if you post something in the parts shed, someone will have one.

Also, you can just leave your stock wastegate solenoid electrical plugged in and cap off the ports.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Yup I plugged mine for a long time and then wanted to clean up the bay and got a $5 resister off an auto legacy.
xise
Third Gear

Post by xise »

Legacy777 wrote:Um....not sure the cost of a new dropping resistor, but I'm sure if you post something in the parts shed, someone will have one.

Also, you can just leave your stock wastegate solenoid electrical plugged in and cap off the ports.
I would just leave it plugged but mine failed so it is giving me an MIL. I did however just order a universal ECBS with a ton of features like high/low boost storable settings, temperature sensors to trigger automatic intercooler spray, built in volt meter, turbo timer and it also has a gain knob so I can adjust how slow/fast the wastegate actuates....exactly what I was looking for, and it was cheap...hopefully it works well.

also bought a prosport evo wideband gauge and sensor kit among a few other goodies like these >:)

I am thinking of grabbing some camber plates and an EDFC controller to add some tech to Sex Panther