MConte05 - 1994 Legacy SS Open Light Rally Car

Information about specific car builds.

Moderator: Moderators

MConte05
Second Gear

Re: MConte05 - 1994 Legacy SS Open Light Rally Car

Post by MConte05 »

Well, we are on track for Sno*Drift in 3 weeks. Right now with the help of Ron Erickson (my co-driver) and James Durbin we got the parts car completely stripped down at Durbin's parents house. Durbin should be disassembling my engine today so that I can work on refreshing the heads (needs a new valve oil seal) and putting new gaskets and oil seals everywhere. Hopefully this coming weekend we'll see the rally car being rolled into the garage to swap out the 3.9FD Turbo transmission and the 2.2T de-turboed engine with the 4.11FD and refreshed 2.2L NA engine from the parts car.

Hoping to get most of the body painted in white, but not entirely sure if we'll be able to in time for Sno*Drift. For sure will be done for 100AW. The brand new All Wheels Driven Rally coilovers with snow and gravel spring setups should be arriving any day now.

Huge thanks to James Durbin and his family for letting me use their garage, I was getting very anxious about where to work on this thing, and his dad said to use his garage for the week or two. Their store logo will be on the car for a long time to come.

http://www.jamesdurbinjewelry.com/
LGT Kirby
First Gear

Post by LGT Kirby »

Keep at it! I'm really enjoying this build.
92wagon
Second Gear

Post by 92wagon »

GREAT Build thread and great job at 100 acre wood 2012!
1992 Legacy L Wagon 4WD Auto 219K
1994 Legacy SunSport Wagon FWD 249K
1994 Legacy Ti 4WD Wagon 5speed 182K (162K on engine)
1991 Legacy L 4WD Wagon 5speed 202k
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Alrighty here we go a few months late again, but this race still fresh in my mind. :)

First most obvious change was the new livery. Adorned with rolls and rolls of multicolored duct tape made up the new design. It came out much better than I expected. Finally getting rid of the multicolored panel legacy look. However, still true to the roots of dirt cheap racing. :mrgreen:

Gorilla Off-Road also showed its face on the side of the car as they have supplied me with a new Hood Scoop Cold Air Intake to test out for 100AW and mudflaps that have actually made it through two rallies now! Before, mudflaps were a common item to replace for me as I seemed to lose a few every race. These things are solid. :)

The race started off great, with no major issues or anything leading up to the event that had me up all night. The car just needed a taillight and one of the struts taken care of by Barrett at AllWheelsDriven after Ojibwe. He was able to get the strut back to me and repaired with a few weeks to spare. Otherwise I just checked the fluids and loaded it up on the trailer. Since it was just a one day race with one small service I didn't load up my Ambulance with much, just enough things that could be fixed during a single service. Arrived in Perryville the night before, shot the **** with the rally crews and got a good night sleep after reviewing the route book and comparing it to videos of last year.

Started out third on the road behind Justin Pritchard and the Huebbe brothers. I ended up finishing third overall on every stage for the first set of stages in the morning. Having a solid second place in Open Light, and third overall. I was having a blast on these roads. Such great smooth free flowing roads that don't bite if you make a mistake. These are the kind of roads that are perfect to learn how to really push the car on. Especially compared to Ojibwe, where if you overcook a turn just a bit, the berms are going to bite back hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMnyGWAsweo

On the start of the second leg something was just off, this was the stage I wrecked on last year, and didn't remember much of. I ended up losing 15 seconds to Surdyke, which put him 10 seconds behind me in the fight for third overall.... This was going to be another close one.... I saw him coming in on my minute and knew something was up. Demotte (his co-driver) refused to tell me what his times were since he knew they made up time on me and was playing a tricky psychological game. :lol:

I fought back on the next stage (SS6), and gained 2 more seconds over Surdyke, giving me a more comfortable 12 second gap. Padding the lead just a hair more on SS7 winning the stage a mere second over Surdyke. I got the jitters again on the last stage (a repeat of SS6) and Surdyke beat me on the stage again, gaining seconds on me. Though at the end of SS8, I had held off Surdyke with an 8.9 second lead after a solid 40 minutes of racing. I felt really good on that stage, though there were a few spots that I slowed down just a bit too much, killing some momentum. The GoPro on the towhook shows some good speed on the back straights though. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bqrt_mlWHsk

So we transited back to final control, feeling solid that we had secured third place overall, and second in Open Light. Only to find out at the awards ceremony that we had checked in early (math was done wrong) on the final time control, and a 10 second penalty was applied. This was justttt enough to give Surdyke a 1.9 second lead over us in the overall results. DAMN! So close.... Guess Surdyke (and Kaltak! He is terrified of you!) are just going to have a big duke in a month or so at the 100 Acre Wood!

So what is in store? Well, nothing really. I am very happy with how the car is setup right now. Will install a new clutch, as that is on its way out and I don't think it will last through 100AW. Will finish up duct taping the bumper, and do some more minor weight reduction. The car has just enough power, a good enough transmission, and a stout suspension that I know what really needs to be done is tighten the nut behind the wheel with some more seat time. Cannot wait!
Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

When is 100Acre Wood this year?
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

February 22-23rd in Salem, MO
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Love the power slide video and the colored duct tape!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Nice work! Looks like a blast.
Love the towhook cam. Makes me feel like I'm playing Gran Turismo on a proper rally stage.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

beatersubi wrote:Nice work! Looks like a blast.
Love the towhook cam. Makes me feel like I'm playing Gran Turismo on a proper rally stage.
Haha, thank you! There are some spots where I know where to go faster next year, I can see another 15-20 seconds out of that stage with the current setup. We did almost roll the car halfway through the stage after blowing a corner. You might be able to notice it.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Been working hard to really prepare the car for the upcoming 100AW. This is an extremely fast rally with AVERAGE speed being around 60-70mph. We will be hitting peak speeds of around 105-110mph on narrow gravel roads. Because of this I have been working on the aero side of the car to try and minimize the very noticeable front end lift that I feel in the car at high speeds.

What does that mean for this car? Means more underbody protection being added that also double as a flat underbody to help smooth the airflow going under the car, as well as a large air dam being added to the front bumper to minimize the amount of air flowing under the car. Sealing off large gaps in the bumper that aren't being channeled directly to the radiator (such as the empty fog light holes). Not only should the car feel more stable at speed, should also pick up a few more MPH on the back straights.

Also have been testing out a Gorilla Off-Road Company top-mounted air intake for the NA engines. This means cutting up my hood to install a WRX hoodscoop. Will post some more pictures of that soon. Otherwise the car is also getting a few cosmetic upgrades. Painting the grill flat black, the hood scoop flat black, the headlight housings are currently being painted as well as the corner lights to give it a little bit of a mean look combined with the extreme multcolored duct tape. :)
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

A drop-vent in the hood directly behind the rad could help reduce front-end lift, as well. Also, it helps to extract heat from the the engine room. A buddy of mine (whiteFCdrifter, i think) did this on his '91 n/a wagon and noticed a drop in engine temp on the highway.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

I've considered that as well. Though if I did do that I would want some sort of ducting from the radiator up and out of scoop to help air move more efficiently though there. However the packaging of everything in there makes it quite a challenge...

Ordered a Power Bleeder the other day since I have been trying like hell to get a nasty air bubble out of my hydraulic handbrake area (a few loops exist, making it very hard to remove). Once the brake bleeding is sorted out, will be able to get the car back on the ground, and doing some testing with the intake system.

Also currently designing up (and soon fabbing) a shifter relocation kit of sorts. Something that will maintain the "short shift" that I currently have but move it up about 6" so that the shifter knob is near the steering wheel/handbrake where I want it, but won't have to pull back 8" to get into 2nd gear. Should be pretty nifty looking. Picture this:

But built a little more simply, and meant to go vertical (not further back) using some hacked up stock shifter components.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

;)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Ghost
First Gear

Post by Ghost »

Nice car, really like the tape livery.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

BMW Art car style, lookin good. By chance do you ever race at Oregon Trail or Olympus?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

I raced at Olympus two years ago as a co-driver to a guy in a white bugeye WRX. Otherwise that probably will be the only time. It is a 30 hour tow to get to seattle from St. Louis, so not worth it to me....

Here's a quick update with some videos and photos!

Here are the two good 100AW on-boards we were able to salvage.

I promise you these are somewhat exciting onboards to watch, my co-driver Ron Erickson is quite... animated with his voice. We have been best friends since High School, and now have done six events together. This is stage 2, Pigeon Roost. Made good notes on recce for this stage, was really committed. Already identified a few spots that I lost the 10-15 seconds needed to set a top 10 stage time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80ZVcKUpT3E

This is stage 4, Floyd Tower. Right before we started the stage, our friend Jari pulled up alongside us, and in a thick heavy Finnish accent was yelling "your tire! it's uhhh, how you say... empty!" Ron pokes his head out of the car and curses, yep, we have have a completely flat right rear tire. Which was really strange since we had a 20 minute delay before the stage started, and walked around the car and noticed nothing out of the ordinary when walking around the car. Oh well. We rehearsed what we were going to do before the start, launched the car out of control, and managed to do a full tire change with a manual jack in 2 minutes. Then drove like hell to make up time! :ritz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz95meba2S8
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Love the last jump picture there!

I still don't know if I could get used to the pace notes. They just come so fast and keeping all that straight in your head WHILE driving to see what's in front of you seems very difficult.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

MConte05
Second Gear

Post by MConte05 »

Legacy777 wrote:Love the last jump picture there!

I still don't know if I could get used to the pace notes. They just come so fast and keeping all that straight in your head WHILE driving to see what's in front of you seems very difficult.
You learn to process it and it becomes second nature, to the point that in order to go fast you want the notes. Anytime he says flat, that's me not lifting off the throttle, some of the other commons ones you might hear are:

- Stay in = hug the corner, or in this case, hug the snowbank
- Tidy = stay tidy on the exit of the corner, don't hang the back end out, usually because of a tree or deep ditch
- Slippy = Slippery surface mid corner or on the exit
- FLAT = do. not. lift. Retain every ounce of speed
- Tightens = The corner tightens up midway. I tend to put "deceptive" if it's entirely clear when it tightens
- GAS GAS GAS GAS = things are about to get super sketchy, and get on the throttle to pull yourself out :lol:
- :lol: = Holy shit we actually made it out of that corner
- &$%!#SHIT = Holy shit we actually barely made it out of that corner
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

MConte05 wrote:I raced at Olympus two years ago as a co-driver to a guy in a white bugeye WRX. Otherwise that probably will be the only time. It is a 30 hour tow to get to seattle from St. Louis, so not worth it to me....
In that case I must have handed you your filled out time card at a couple of the stages. 30 hours? Sheesh.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

MConte05 wrote:You learn to process it and it becomes second nature, to the point that in order to go fast you want the notes. Anytime he says flat, that's me not lifting off the throttle, some of the other commons ones you might hear are:

- Stay in = hug the corner, or in this case, hug the snowbank
- Tidy = stay tidy on the exit of the corner, don't hang the back end out, usually because of a tree or deep ditch
- Slippy = Slippery surface mid corner or on the exit
- FLAT = do. not. lift. Retain every ounce of speed
- Tightens = The corner tightens up midway. I tend to put "deceptive" if it's entirely clear when it tightens
- GAS GAS GAS GAS = things are about to get super sketchy, and get on the throttle to pull yourself out :lol:
- :lol: = Holy shit we actually made it out of that corner
- &$%!#SHIT = Holy shit we actually barely made it out of that corner

Yeah, as I listened and watched the upcoming terrain I could kind of gather what the different comments meant :) I guess it just takes some time and practice.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

northcoast
First Gear

Post by northcoast »

MConte05 wrote:
Also have been testing out a Gorilla Off-Road Company top-mounted air intake for the NA engines. This means cutting up my hood to install a WRX hoodscoop. Will post some more pictures of that soon. )
Any updates on this? I've been waiting for the MAF version forever and I'm glad it still may come out for production.
Lifted 91 LS Wagon : SOLD
87 GL-10 Turbo : SOLD
Lifted 97 Impreza OBS
98 Impreza OBS RallyX / DD