1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
nosyt
Second Gear

Re: nosyt's 93 turbo legacy wagon

Post by nosyt »

Sorry for the absence from the board!

The car lasted till the first week of September before blowing up second gear and has been parked since.
In the meantime I picked up a V2 STI swapped 93 Impreza wagon. That I played around with a bit, with the intentions of swapping back to stock and using parts/selling off what I didn't need. Well that car lasted two months before a stolen truck ran a red light in front of me and I ended up T-boning the truck, writing off the car. I bought back the Impreza from the insurance company and will start stripping it shortly. This means more goodies for the Legacy.

Plans for this spring include STI 6 speed, R180 rear diff and 4pot/2pot brake setup all out of the Impreza. While I'm under there I will be looking at swapping out all worn bushings. Also my brother got me a Grimmspeed boost solenoid for christmas so I'll be installing that and retuning the car to see if I can get a little more out of it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sucks about the string of bad luck. But it sounds like you have a plan to put the goodies to use on the Legacy :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

Back from hibernation!

2015 had the car on the road with the 6 speed, R180, and 4pot/2pot swap running a dccd pro.
Had the 1 piece drive shaft I had built break apart while going about 120kph down the highway destroying the exhaust and bashing the tranny tunnel so badly the passenger seat rail bent. I was able to fix the tranny tunnel and get a new proper 2 piece shaft in the car.
Went to WCSS in 2015 and won best overall legacy which was great honor.

2016 saw me get a excessive speeding ticket and mandatory vehicle safety inspection on the 3rd day of driving the car for the year. This has parked the wagon since.

In 2017 I moved to Minnesota USA and got married. In April of 2018 I will be flying back home to British Columbia and driving my wagon down to Minnesota where I wont need an inspection and can start working on the wagon again.

Plans are to do a full clean up of the car and body work and vinyl wrap the car as the paint is deteriorating after sitting so long under a car cover. I hope to get the car converted to E85 and throw on a 3 port boost solenoid and get a retune to try and clean up the map and get some more power out of this thing. Probably wont be many updates till April but hopefully good things to come!
doobz
In Neutral

Post by doobz »

Nice man congrats on everything!.Can't wait for some updates. Still mad I couldn't find a way to buy it from you last year :smt011
olsen726
In Neutral

Post by olsen726 »

awesome to see some of the guys that have been working on these cars for so long still around! can't wait to see the progress on the car, does your brother still have the drift legacy?
nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

olsen726 wrote:awesome to see some of the guys that have been working on these cars for so long still around! can't wait to see the progress on the car, does your brother still have the drift legacy?
yea he still has his drift legacy and a 92 JDM turbo sedan!
I'm excited to see the next evolution of my wagon its been too long since I've been able to work on it
nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

Well the car fired up right away, the paint is ruined but I expected that as it was going bad before I parked it. During the time it was parked a tree branch fell on the roof and broke the passenger A-pillar trim (wtb) and dented the roof pretty good. But other than that the car runs good. Got the wheels rebalance, fixed a loose rear lateral link, oil change and cleaned out the interior (mice had been living in there so lots of pee and poo but no torn up seats or wiring). We pulled the timing covers off cause I thought I had a front crank seal leak to find one of the rear timing cover bolts backed it's way out and was jammed into the covers and rubbing on the timing belt. So we put a new belt and water pump in the car.
We are now ready to start the 1600 Mile drive down to Minnesota this weekend. Hoping the weather cooperates Minnesota is supposed to get 8-12"+ of snow this weekend.
nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

Well my throat was sore from talking over the exhaust note for 1600 miles and our ears were ringing for the next day but I couldn't have asked for better performance out of the car after sitting for so long.

Our only hiccup was Minnesota decided winter wasn't over yet and with summer tires on the wagon it proved impossible to keep the car on the road. With only 18 miles left to my house we decided to pull the car off the road before we slid it off the road and got the car towed to the safety of the garage.

I have already started repairing the damage from the fallen tree branch and redoing all the body work since my white paint job has turned yellow over the years. Being a non-turbo non-sunroof shell the antenna is on the roof of my wagon so I have decided to delete the antenna for a totally smooth clean roofline.

damage from tree branch

Dent pressed out as best I could from the inside

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

body work continues. there were a couple small spots of rust I'm going to tackle now to make sure they don't grow and become big issues. While the headliner is out to allow me to pop the dent out of the roof I decided to dye the headliner black. Being a L model chassis the headliner is vinyl which made it easy to clean and dye using SEM Color Coat.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, the winter this year has been brutal :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

I got all the body work finished on the wagon in between building a patio at our new house. Shaved the roof antenna, fixed the roof dent, fixed a dent in the top of the hatch and ground away and fixed/sealed the couple small spots of rust that had started in the rear quarter panels.

Wanting a nice clean look but keep costs down I decided to try my hand at vinyl wrapping the car instead of painting it again. I purchased a full roll of 3M G10 gloss white and got to work.

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

My goal for getting the car finished was to enter it into a car show that it got accepted into before I started the body work. The show took applications and only let 100 cars enter that they felt were the best of the best.

Here are a couple pics from the show with the car all finished, even took home some hardware

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very cool and congrats!!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

Thanks Josh
currently having running issues with the car, hoping its tune related. Had a maf sensor go bad to the point it was flooding during start up and dying right away. Put new sensor in and now it starts and idles great, but runs super rich under load and falls on its face popping black smoke under boost from running so rich. Wondering if the MAF has been bad since I picked it up used and when I got the car tuned it was tuned on a weak sensor and now that the sensor is brand new oem its over compensating.
No codes or anything have popping up. Might try changing out the air fuel sensor and see if that helps at all before bringing it inot a shop to run on the dyno and try retuning it
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Check the temperature sensor for the ECU. I've had very similar experiences that turned out to be the temp the ECU 'sees' was always cold so the ECU was always in choke or warmup mode in regards to fueling and timing.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

How was it tuned, what engine management? Do you have a wide band to check AFR's? If not, I highly recommend doing that.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

It was open sourced tuned on the jdm ecu, I have a wideband that's how I know it's running super rich.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, it could very well be your old maf was not right. Are you able to see any values/data from the ECU while it's running? I'm curious if the fuel trim learned values are maxed out to try and compensate.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

while still trying to track down my rich running issue I've gone through and checked for boost leaks ( thought I had an ah-ha moment when I found a spot on the intercooler piping that was worn down by the AN lines to my catch can, but it wasn't worn through and isn't leaking )and built better grounds from battery to frame behind headlight then built a harness to ground directly to the intake manifold, where the harness grounds, then to the alternator then the passenger side head. Also went and cleaned the paint off the grounding spots for the harness on both strut towers. This seems to have smoothed out idle and stabilized air/fuel slightly but still running rich when getting into boost. I am able to keep my foot in it while it sputters and it will pick up again around 5000 rpm but still running around 10.5 afr. I'll be booking my dyno time this week to get it tuned and hopefully figured out.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Keep us posted.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

Been fixing a few of the issues I've neglected over the years, being so low I was never able to get a proper rear alignment causing excessive tire wear. Mix of slight toe issues along with camber caused inside of tires to wear down to cords on the drive down here.

Picked up a set of Firestone Indy 500's. These seem to be the popular tire choice lately and at the price I couldn't pass them up.

To fix the rear alignment I picked up the OBX rear lateral and trailing arms kit. Although this is a cheap "eBay" kit the build quality seems decent.